racism and no go zones?

DannyMotorcycle

I'm sure I've said it before, that I did not experience or see racism growing up. I was aware that it had existed at some point, but for me it was part of America's history. I grew up in Daytona Beach, and lived there until I was 20. I then lived in CO for a year. I did not experience or see racism. I joined the Navy in 1980, and I was either active duty or dependent until 1996, and I did not see or experience racism in the Navy environment. It was not until I moved to MD, that I experienced anything that looked like racism.

My first job, part time because I was still a "stay at home" mom, was working in the General Store in St. Inigoes while my daughter was in school. I was at the register, and there were maybe half dozen people in the store. It was around mid-day. An elderly black man came in, walking very slowly with a cane. When I say elderly, I mean he was ancient. It took him several minutes to get from the door to the register, which is near the entrance. He made a request form something behind the counter, and said he needed to go grab a pack of hot dogs from the back of the store. I told him to sit tight, that I would get them. As I was walking back, I noticed that everyone in the little store had stopped what they were doing to watch me. I remember feeling very awkward because I had no idea why they were staring at me. I grabbed the hot dogs, and went back to the register, rang him and and bid him a good day. The people in the store continued to stare until the old man left.

Another time, I was in Raleys in Ridge. I got in line behind a young black man, probably 30ish, who had a few things in his hands. He told me to go ahead of him. I said I was fine, not in a hurry, he only had a few things, but thanks. He was very insistent, but so was I. He stood there for another minute or so, then said he had forgotten something, left the line, and came back a few minutes later, as I was checking out. It didn't look like he had gotten anything else. I got the impression that there was some unspoken rule that I was not familiar with.

I also started experiencing the black on white rudeness and general lack of courtesy in Southern MD. The entire time I lived there, I would have experiences like a black person ahead of me, and the cashier carrying on a conversation and being cordial. When it was my turn I wouldn't get so much as a "kiss my ass", at least nothing audible. There's a cashier at Shoppers that probably still does this. I stopped shopping there because of her. I was always pleasant to her, and she would treat me like I was invisible every time I went to her register.The cashier would process my stuff, with a shriveled up prune expression and practically throw the receipt at me. Or the "whadda' ya' want", and just basically an angry sort of person.

Anyway, more to the OP-I don't find it so far fetched to think that there is a place, that not not in the too distant past, if not now, was or is a place that a black person might not feel safe going to. That said, there are places that I don't feel safe going to. I won't drive down Great Mills Rd after dark. Mind you, that has less to do with the color of anyone skin than just the general nature of the area.

Now, down south I'm finding that if black people don't like me, I sure as hell don't know it. Everyone has been courteous and polite. People in the south seem genuinely kind and happy.

So no overt racism, no derogatory remarks... So they could have been looking for legitimate reasons unbeknownst to you.. And the gentleman could have been checking on something and decided not to go with it.. and youv'e discovered people up north arent' as polite as southerners... and you may have been unaware that you might have offended the cashier some kind of way..

I can't say that I find this convincing or of any evidentiary value. I do appreciate your input, and acknowledge it is possible your instincts were right.

DannyMotorcycle

There are still, some blue-collar, 99% - 100% segregated places such as

Potomac Heights in Indian Head: white

Woodland Heights in Indian Head: black

"The Meadows" projects in LaPlata, near the Kent Avenue train tracks: black

"Marvin Gardens" townhouses in southern LaPlata: black

I was browsing real estate... and noticed Potomac heights low cost housing.. so i curiously looked through the community photos.. I started to wonder about the racial makeup of the
neighborhood/area and I did notice at one of the functions there appeared to be mostly white and that a black person or two who seemed to be having just a good a time as the other people in the photos.

officeguy

I was browsing real estate... and noticed Potomac heights low cost housing.. so i curiously looked through the community photos.. I started to wonder about the racial makeup of the
neighborhood/area and I did notice at one of the functions there appeared to be mostly white and that a black person or two who seemed to be having just a good a time as the other people in the photos.

Potomac Heights is some sort of coop. You buy a share in the corporation and get the right to live in a specified house. Just like stuck up coops in NYC, this allowed them for the longest time to control who lives there.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In the early 90s I was stationed up at Andrews. 1 of the girls didn't feel safe going to Waldorf. She said there were too many rednecks there and feared for her safety. Now it's the crackers that don't feel safe there, especially at the mall, moreso after dark.

Hank

my war
In the early 90s I was stationed up at Andrews. 1 of the girls didn't feel safe going to Waldorf. She said there were too many rednecks there and feared for her safety. Now it's the crackers that don't feel safe there, especially at the mall, moreso after dark.

I'm a cracker and I feel perfectly safe there. Don't believe the hype.

black dog

Free America
I'm sure I've said it before, that I did not experience or see racism growing up. I was aware that it had existed at some point, but for me it was part of America's history. I grew up in Daytona Beach, and lived there until I was 20. I then lived in CO for a year. I did not experience or see racism. I joined the Navy in 1980, and I was either active duty or dependent until 1996, and I did not see or experience racism in the Navy environment. It was not until I moved to MD, that I experienced anything that looked like racism.

My first job, part time because I was still a "stay at home" mom, was working in the General Store in St. Inigoes while my daughter was in school. I was at the register, and there were maybe half dozen people in the store. It was around mid-day. An elderly black man came in, walking very slowly with a cane. When I say elderly, I mean he was ancient. It took him several minutes to get from the door to the register, which is near the entrance. He made a request form something behind the counter, and said he needed to go grab a pack of hot dogs from the back of the store. I told him to sit tight, that I would get them. As I was walking back, I noticed that everyone in the little store had stopped what they were doing to watch me. I remember feeling very awkward because I had no idea why they were staring at me. I grabbed the hot dogs, and went back to the register, rang him and and bid him a good day. The people in the store continued to stare until the old man left.

Another time, I was in Raleys in Ridge. I got in line behind a young black man, probably 30ish, who had a few things in his hands. He told me to go ahead of him. I said I was fine, not in a hurry, he only had a few things, but thanks. He was very insistent, but so was I. He stood there for another minute or so, then said he had forgotten something, left the line, and came back a few minutes later, as I was checking out. It didn't look like he had gotten anything else. I got the impression that there was some unspoken rule that I was not familiar with.

I also started experiencing the black on white rudeness and general lack of courtesy in Southern MD. The entire time I lived there, I would have experiences like a black person ahead of me, and the cashier carrying on a conversation and being cordial. When it was my turn I wouldn't get so much as a "kiss my ass", at least nothing audible. There's a cashier at Shoppers that probably still does this. I stopped shopping there because of her. I was always pleasant to her, and she would treat me like I was invisible every time I went to her register.The cashier would process my stuff, with a shriveled up prune expression and practically throw the receipt at me. Or the "whadda' ya' want", and just basically an angry sort of person.

Anyway, more to the OP-I don't find it so far fetched to think that there is a place, that not not in the too distant past, if not now, was or is a place that a black person might not feel safe going to. That said, there are places that I don't feel safe going to. I won't drive down Great Mills Rd after dark. Mind you, that has less to do with the color of anyone skin than just the general nature of the area.

Now, down south I'm finding that if black people don't like me, I sure as hell don't know it. Everyone has been courteous and polite. People in the south seem genuinely kind and happy.

I ran irrigation crews for years and the first time we stopped at the grocery store in Piney Point we spent about 125 bucks on breakfast Sammie's and drinks. The older woman behind the counter was rude and treated every Spanish man like a piece of trash. We stopped in Callaway from then on.
Next was the Cobb island store. I called in a dozen pizzas easily a hour before lunch.
I rolled in at the discussed pickup time and it took another hour to finish my order.
All the while delivering pizzas to other customers. Orders that were taken while I was there were done while I sat waiting for my order.
Funny thing is when we worked in the 7th district never any problems, nothing g but smiles and great service with new money walked in.
20 men and three trucks worth of fuel you would think would be a happy store / gas station owner.. another a$$hole is the liquor Sunoco station in Leonardtown.

A excellent pit stop for truck loads of hungry workers is Bear Creek pit beef in Callaway.
Long before the fire and after, always treated great.

slowlane

Potomac Heights is some sort of coop. You buy a share in the corporation and get the right to live in a specified house. Just like stuck up coops in NYC, this allowed them for the longest time to control who lives there.

Potomac Heights back in 1950, supposedly was the largest community in Charles County. It was built for W.W.2 defense workers at Indian Head, and is governed by a HOA which collects from each homeowner approximately $330 each month. This fee pays for your water service, property taxes, maintenance of common areas including parking lots, swimming pool, 3 new playgrounds, a community building, and free repairs to any ORIGINAL part of your house. The community is 99% white, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_Heights,_Maryland Houses are one level, one tiny bathroom, made of metal with siding, most of them 790 square feet, but some only 670 sq.ft., and linked by sidewalks. Renting to anyone outside your family is officially not allowed, but is widely practiced. An Elementary school, Baptist church, convenience store, a beach/ fishing area on the river, bus stop, and Fire department are within walking distance.

Last edited:

officeguy

Potomac Heights back in 1950, supposedly was the largest community in Charles County. It was built for W.W.2 defense workers at Indian Head, and is governed by a HOA which collects from each homeowner approximately $330 each month. This fee pays for your water service, property taxes, maintenance of common areas including parking lots, swimming pool, 3 new playgrounds, a community building, and free repairs to any ORIGINAL part of your house. The community is 99% white, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_Heights,_Maryland Houses are one level, one tiny bathroom, made of metal with siding, most of them 790 square feet, but some only 670 sq.ft., and linked by sidewalks. Renting to anyone outside your family is officially not allowed, but is widely practiced. An Elementary school, Baptist church, convenience store, a beach/ fishing area on the river, bus stop, and Fire department are within walking distance.

Well, sort of. The PH mutual HOA is much more than a HOA. It is a non-profit cooperative that owns the houses and the land underneath them*. If you want to live in a home, you purchase the sellers share in the cooperative and along with the share comes the perpetual right to occupy a specified dwelling. Before you can buy a share, the coop has to approve the sale of that share, they also have to approve the buyer. As you don't get a title to either home or land, you can't get a conventional mortgage for the PH houses. There are a couple of lenders that deal with this type of property and will loan money on the membership certificate. Many of the little homes (2bed 1 bath and 3 bed 2bath) have been updated. The price of a share reflects those updates and the location within the community.

In the olden days, this legal structure was a way for coops to get around fair housing standards. If a black family applied, the coop board just declined their application without having to provide a reason. I have no information whether the PH corporation engaged in that kind of conduct, but others certainly did. These days, the feds consider coops who provide housing to be covered under the fair housing standards and the coops are very careful to stay clear of the wrath that a HUD or DOJ investigation can bring down on them.

* there are some homes that are geographically in 'Potomac Heights' but are not part of the original development. They are just regular fee simple properties and none of the following applies.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I'm pretty sure it's passed, not PAST.

Another grammar Nazi heard from. Good grief! Are you kidding me? Most of us can understand the reply without commenting on a typo. Is there anything of substance you would like to add to this discussion? Just wondering.

I will add mine. There are plenty of places that people feel uncomfortable going to. I have been to those places, now and again, and have been very intimidated by the stares from folks that don't even know me. Is it because I am white? Do they care that I am not racist? Do they know I was raised in the South when the white/black turmoil was at its worst? Do they know that I have friends of all ethnic backgrounds. Do they know that as I check the box Caucasian know that I have black blood running through my veins. All people of the world have black ancestors. I am so sick of the victim thing. I heard a good commentary tonight on FOX on that very subject. Get over yourselves, take care of yourselves, improve yourselves, be proud of yourselves. In other words, stop blaming everyone else. I feel better now. Thanks for reading my post. :smile:, and God bless America.

One more thing. My parents taught me well.

Last edited:

xobxdoc

Another grammar Nazi heard from. Good grief! Are you kidding me? Most of us can understand the reply without commenting on a typo. Is there anything of substance you would like to add this discussion? Just wondering.
What do we have without proper grammar? You liberals love to sling that Nazi word around. And...... that puts you in violation of forum rules. Please excuse yourself from this forum and punish yourself.

littlelady

God bless the USA
How about you? Just wondering.

You have always been 'johnny on the spot' when it comes to me. I am on your radar so you didn't read my edit in that post. Why don't you do that, and get back to me. Thanks, Hankaroo!

Actually, I will edit this post, too. I posted when this thread first started about my experience after Michael Brown's death that started this whole BLM thing, but I deleted it. I was driving down Adelina in PF on my way home the back way, when 3 black guys were walking down the road with their fists up to every passing car. I made eye contact with them, and it was unnerving. That protest thing even made it to Calvert. The thing is, they were protesting Brown's death, but had no idea why they were protesting. They were protesting because they had no clue. Just like that march that was chanting 'pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon'. That in itself makes no sense. Everyone in America that is a citizen has a chance to make something of themselves, and be successful. I have no time or patience to listen to the whining that I owe someone something. That's all.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
What do we have without proper grammar? You liberals love to sling that Nazi word around. And...... that puts you in violation of forum rules. Please excuse yourself from this forum and punish yourself.

Thanks for the laugh! If you truly partake in this forum, you would know I am not a liberal! :killingme: Grammar Nazi has been a term around here even before Trump became prez. Thanks for the second laugh! :killingme: As far as forum rules, thanks for the third laugh! There are none. :killingme: Just thanks!...xo back at ya! You are a hoot and a half!

littlelady

God bless the USA

The more I think about your post, I am thinking you were trying to be funny, or sarcastic. Just giving you the benefit of the doubt. Also, do you think that all the protesters that have sprouted up in the last year or two have proper grammar? I wasn't taught that the words #### YOU (out of the mouths of college professors) was proper. Just wondering.