Random homeowner question - digging under driveway

I'm looking to run an electrical line under my driveway. I've tried the "water boring" method, but the clay soil is too resistant.

I've only managed to find two companies that do this, but since they work at a much larger scale, it's not cost effective for them to take the job (got quoted between $1000 and $1500). Are there smaller companies that do horizontal drilling/boring? Or are there places that rent augering equipment? Thanks!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I'm looking to run an electrical line under my driveway. I've tried the "water boring" method, but the clay soil is too resistant.

I've only managed to find two companies that do this, but since they work at a much larger scale, it's not cost effective for them to take the job (got quoted between $1000 and $1500). Are there smaller companies that do horizontal drilling/boring? Or are there places that rent augering equipment? Thanks!
If you want to do it safe and right ....

1) How wide is the driveway?
2) What is is made of? Concrete or asphalt?

If asphalt, it's fairly easy to make a narrow trench, dig the required depth of at least 2 feet, lay your wire laden conduit pipe, then back fill the dirt and compress/compact the dirt well before filling with new asphalt that can be purchased by the bag from Lowes.

It's a bit laborious by hand, but not difficult.

Concrete would require a cutting machine for clean edges, (which can be rented), and a cement mixer (which can also be rented), and many bags of the proper PSI rated concrete.

Notice again the required depth for laying and running electrical conduit in ground is 2 feet, or better, using conduit piping made for ground contact and run your electrical feeds inside that. I don't think water boring can get that deep. It's a safety issue so that someone digging for planting a garden or doing a little digging for whatever reason something doesn't hit it.

glhs837

Power with Control

If asphalt, it's fairly easy to make a narrow trench, dig the required depth of at least 2 feet, lay your wire laden conduit pipe, then back fill the dirt and compress/compact the dirt well before filling with new asphalt that can be purchased by the bag from Lowes.

Concrete would require a cutting machine for clean edges, (which can be rented), and a cement mixer (which can also be rented), and many bags of the proper PSI rated concrete.

Notice again the required depth for laying and running electrical conduit in ground is 2 feet, or better, using conduit piping made for ground contact and run your electrical feeds inside that. I don't think water boring can get that deep. It's a safety issue so that someone digging for planting a garden or doing a little digging for whatever reason something doesn't hit it.

Pretty sure 24 inches is public roads or alleys. Under driveways you can go 18 inches. In conduit, and I would never run power not in conduit. When I ran a new wire to my well, I did 18 inches.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pretty sure 24 inches is public roads or alleys. Under driveways you can go 18 inches. In conduit, and I would never run power not in conduit. When I ran a new wire to my well, I did 18 inches.
Electrical contractor that ran power 150' or so to my pier trenched 18" down.

willie

Find a sub contractor for Comcast installation and talk them into a little after hours work. They bore under sidewalks/driveways every day.

TPD

the poor dad
I saw this truck in Ridge today - not sure if they do what you want but their name would suggest so...

IMG_5913.jpg

Ack. I should have mentioned... Asphalt driveway, 15 feet wide. I would prefer NOT to cut the asphalt.

UglyBear

Ack. I should have mentioned... Asphalt driveway, 15 feet wide. I would prefer NOT to cut the asphalt.
I’m with @LightRoasted on this.
I had Comcast bore under my asphalt driveway, and sure it was done quick, but it buckled the asphalt and will need to be fixed sometime soon anyways. Especially if you have dense clay, it has to go somewhere — most likely up.
As much hassle as cutting the asphalt sounds, long-term is probably the best solution, and you can do it yourself, so major $$$ savings.

Reactions: TPD

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I had Comcast bore under my asphalt driveway, and sure it was done quick, but it buckled the asphalt and will need to be fixed sometime soon anyways. Especially if you have dense clay, it has to go somewhere — most likely up.
As much hassle as cutting the asphalt sounds, long-term is probably the best solution, and you can do it yourself, so major $$$ savings.
Or a trench around the driveway to get the line to where it needs to be. Might be a longer run but it won't require messing with the driveway.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That was my suggestion last time he asked the question.

black dog

Free America
Installing irrigation I shot hundreds of bores under sidewalks, driveways and roads.
Call your local irrigation contractor in Bryantown, its getting to the slow time of the years for them.
When the owner or one of the family gets there to give you a quote, offer cash.
Harrigan has done thousands and thousands of bores in the last 25 years.