Rate these parts of North Calvert County

Rael

Supper's Ready
In my opinion, the best areas in order among those mentioned are:

1. Sunderland
2. Huntingtown
3. Dunkirk (snootiness and traffic congestion prevents it from being #1, but is still a decent area)
4. Chesapeake Beach (perfect if you like white trash (getting darker), Section 8 housing, summer crowds, loud music at night)

I haven't run into snootiness in Dunkirk yet. :shrug:

steppinthrax

Can you show me where you obtained your "facts", "especially" about "townhomes" please?

What Facts do you need, CandyBare hit the nail on the head.

Apartments tend to contain people who are short term and transient. They also tend to have people that are of lower income. Some apartment management will take an apartment building and make it Section 8, renting to only Section 8 vouchers.

Townhomes tend to be cheaper. Townhome owners tend to be first time home buyers who buy another property and rent their first home out (townhome). Townhouses are pretty easy to rent out because they are smaller and can demand a reasonable rent.

In both cases you’re dealing with people who don't give a #### about the community.

Trash on the side of the road, weird people walking around, shady activities, public drinking, broken down old cars, break-ins and vandalism.

This lowers overall property values in adjacent communities.

Last edited:

Happylife

So I'm stuck with these places.

1. Dunkirk, MD
2. Sunderland, MD
3. Chesapeake Beach, MD
4. Huntingtown, MD
5. Sunderland, MD

I'm not ranking these. I don't know which is the best. I'm looking at schools, crime, general look of the city (trash, upkeep). I know dunkirk, md, real nice. But I went over to Huntingtown and found a new home built next to two trailers WTF?

I personally have lived in all area's mentioned above. Before I had a home built I rented several different homes in different area's throughout the years to see where I would be happy. I wasn't too thrilled with Dunkirk - it is very overpriced because it is closer to DC, and there are trailer parks there as well.
I lived in Sunderland, and I did really enjoy it there ..... you may not like my opinion after this but I actually rented a brand new trailer on 2 acres :yahoo: but in my defense it was the only short term rental available and it wasn't cheap either for rent $1200 a month plus utilities.

I rented a 3 story duplex in Chesapeake Beach and although the home itself was nice ... I hated the noise in the Summer time. I had a 9 month old baby at the time, and he was constantly gettign woken up by police sirens because of our stupid neighbors down the street. Unfortunately there is a lot of fighting going on when the warm weather brings the redneck alcoholics out :jerry:

Huntingtown was very nice - still a little pricey and yes you will drive past trailers but you will almost anywhere where it used to be mainly farm land. The lots are smaller than Sunderland lots but the area is just as nicw. Prices are cheaper than Huntingtown but there isn't much difference between Sunderland and Huntingtown.

Soooo my choices are:

1. Tied between Sunderland and Hungtingtown
2. Dunkirk - only because it is on the main strip and away from most rift raft.
3. If I had to add it Chesapeake Beach!

JoeR

Dunkirk has some of the most expensive real estate in Calvert that I've seen. I looked at other areas, Huntington and esp. Cheseapeak Beach are real cheap. Usually price follows quaility of area.

Why don't you do everyone on SoMD a favor and stay up in White Marsh. Seems your hard to please. First, in another thread you don't want anything to do with Waldorf, and now you are picking apart Calvert. What's next St. Marys?:whistle:

Taeobi

Why don't you do everyone on SoMD a favor and stay up in White Marsh. Seems your hard to please. First, in another thread, you don't want anything to do with Waldorf, and now you are picking apart Calvert. What's next St. Marys?:whistle:

:dingding:

steppinthrax

Why don't you do everyone on SoMD a favor and stay up in White Marsh. Seems your hard to please. First, in another thread you don't want anything to do with Waldorf, and now you are picking apart Calvert. What's next St. Marys?:whistle:

I first looked at Waldorf, White Plains and La Plata. This was before I knew anything about southern maryland. I found Dunkirk and like it.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I did run into a little bit of snootiness while in a person's home and in dunkirk park when asking parents about the community.

I almost did, too. There was a couple in front of me in Starbucks who both chose nearly every possible accoutrement they offer for their drinks, long line and all. But they were just being colossal buttheads, not being snootie. Different.