Rats digging into my chicken pens URGH !

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Just FYI.... I tried using .22 shorts on a very obnoxious rooster. Wouldn't penetrate the feathers. Use a LR.

Really? Maybe it had a light powder load? I've shot many a critter with the CB bullet going completely through and exiting. Even had one that went through a garden destroying rabbit and hit my garage door, which left a bit of a tiny dent.

If it shot a .22 LR the entire neighborhood would hear it.

Who knows. From everything I have read the rats are hard to get rid off so I will trying everything I have read including waiting with a red light and a gun.

Careful, ya gotta be smarter than the average bear. Rats are extremely intelligent. Ya might get one of them, but the rest will know something is up and change their behavior.

PeoplesElbow

So it appears after many years only battling mice I now have rats digging into my chicken pens at night. I took dirty cat litter and poured at along the walls they are using to dig under for entry but that may not be enough? Thinking I need to put a cat inside each pen at night? I ordered some Bobcat urine to add to the cat litter hoping that will stop them? I already have been raising the feeders up to the ceiling at night so they can't reach it. What else can I do short of putting hardware cloth at the bottom of all 9 pens? The home remedies of using cinnamon, peppermint, and ultrasonic units have not been proven effective per my internet research.
I'll pee around your yard for you if you want.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A mouse killed looked pretty tore up after a shot ewww. No rats were hit last night, oh well. Making this a place they do not want to be ....

LightRoasted

If I may ...

A mouse killed looked pretty tore up after a shot ewww. No rats were hit last night, oh well. Making this a place they do not want to be ....

Hey! Wait a cotton pick'in minute. Weren't you against firearm ownership, or restricting ownership? Or some such thing? Now you've gone off and bought yourself a destructive device for the purpose of ending the lives of little critters that are only trying to survive in today's hectic world. Pretty sure PETA would not approve. Hypocrite much?

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Hey! Wait a cotton pick'in minute. Weren't you against firearm ownership, or restricting ownership? Or some such thing? Now you've gone off and bought yourself a destructive device for the purpose of ending the lives of little critters that are only trying to survive in today's hectic world. Pretty sure PETA would not approve. Hypocrite much?
no not at all, my 380 is too much for shooting rats wouldn't you say? I was concerned about what I THOUGHT were rapid fire weapons being purchased by anyone ......

LightRoasted

If I may ...

no not at all, my 380 is too much for shooting rats wouldn't you say? I was concerned about what I THOUGHT were rapid fire weapons being purchased by anyone ......

Ok then. Got to know one thing ........ How do you juxtapose your signature line, "Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small", with the killing of critters, small?

Asking for little critters everywhere.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Ok then. Got to know one thing ........ How do you juxtapose your signature line, "Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small", with the killing of critters, small?

I'd be happy to catch the excess and bring them over for you to adopt :rolleyes:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

oh darn :doh: I forgot to mention that we focus on DOMESTIC PETS only and that doesn't include WILD animals. Wild animal rescue requires breed-specific permitting by the DNS. I did relocate a juvenile rat and did not kill it. We have a SPRING FUNDRAISER that is running out of time :jameo:, so if you could help us get more orders that would be great. There are many gorgeous plants and flowers including vegetable plants and herbs too. You can get plants to LOOK at or plants to EAT 🥗 .

dave20

If you can find the opening to their den and you have a water source close enough you can flood the den and shoot them as they come out.
They usually have more than one opening so you may need to plug some openings up. If you have a wood pile or a debris pile near there that's where I'd start looking.
We had a problem like yours years ago and that's how we resolved it. You may need more than one shooter because the will come out pretty quickly once they start moving. Good Luck

Clem72

If you can find the opening to their den and you have a water source close enough you can flood the den and shoot them as they come out.
They usually have more than one opening so you may need to plug some openings up. If you have a wood pile or a debris pile near there that's where I'd start looking.
We had a problem like yours years ago and that's how we resolved it. You may need more than one shooter because the will come out pretty quickly once they start moving. Good Luck
This sounds almost cartoonish. Why not stick some dynamite in the hole and wire it to a big plunger detonator and twirl your mustache before setting it off.