Reality of Gun Ownership

iamanmpd

QUOTE]=iamanmpd;3512352]
Larry Gude;3512312 I didn't say you did. You questioned whether someone is 'smart' enough or not and now you are using the word 'appropriate'. My point is that said:
I agree with what you are saying. Why are you yelling at me. A guy stated there wasn't a text book answer for something and made an off the cuff comment that indicating that wasn't good. I turned it around and stated "perhaps" if he wasn't smart enough he shouldn't own a gun. I didn't say he didn't have a right to, I said perhaps he shouldn't.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

No, I am quite certain of what I have to do, again, I make those decisions every day.

...and that's great. I hope you never make a mistake and thank you for your service. However, your level of experience and judgement under stress is not going to be there for most people. Better the bad guy worry about that than the good guy.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

QUOTE]=iamanmpd;3512352]

I agree with what you are saying. Why are you yelling at me. A guy stated there wasn't a text book answer for something and made an off the cuff comment that indicating that wasn't good. I turned it around and stated "perhaps" if he wasn't smart enough he shouldn't own a gun. I didn't say he didn't have a right to, I said perhaps he shouldn't.

...my apologies; I do not mean to yell, at all. Call it emphasis. :buddies:

This_person

No, I am quite certain of what I have to do, again, I make those decisions every day.
I would suggest you probably shouldn't advise others that there are right and wrong times to defend their homes if you can't come up with anything specific to use as a guide for what is the right and wrong time.

I'm certain that if someone is on my property and they have stolen from me, or attempted to, they are a threat. You are not so certain, but you can't say exactly when they change from a threat to not a threat. Until you can give a textbook answer, you probably shouldn't advice people.

Vince

I would suggest you probably shouldn't advise others that there are right and wrong times to defend their homes if you can't come up with anything specific to use as a guide for what is the right and wrong time.

I'm certain that if someone is on my property and they have stolen from me, or attempted to, they are a threat. You are not so certain, but you can't say exactly when they change from a threat to not a threat. Until you can give a textbook answer, you probably shouldn't advice people.
Why is this so hard? If they are in my home, they are a threat and will be dealt with accordingly. Simple. :shrug: I don't care which way they are turning or what they are carrying, or who it is. They broke into MY home and are a threat to my family as long as they are there. The next stop for them will be the county coronor.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Why is this so hard? If they are in my home, they are a threat and will be dealt with accordingly. Simple. :shrug: I don't care which way they are turning or what they are carrying, or who it is. They broke into MY home and are a threat to my family as long as they are there. The next stop for them will be the county coroner.
:yeahthat: :yay:

This_person

Why is this so hard? If they are in my home, they are a threat and will be dealt with accordingly. Simple. :shrug: I don't care which way they are turning or what they are carrying, or who it is. They broke into MY home and are a threat to my family as long as they are there. The next stop for them will be the county coronor.
Ed Zactly.

iamanmpd

I never told anybody they were right or wrong to defend their homes! Quite the opposite. My answer was always you should defend your home and stop the threat.

I know exactly when someone becomes a threat. That is a determination the individual involved in the situation needs to make. You are crying because you feel I won't give you a specific answer when you should realize that the answer needs to come from you. Man up. Don't rely on someone else to teach you how to be a man. Make the decision you can live with.

This_person

I never told anybody they were right or wrong to defend their homes! Quite the opposite. My answer was always you should defend your home and stop the threat.

I know exactly when someone becomes a threat. That is a determination the individual involved in the situation needs to make. You are crying because you feel I won't give you a specific answer when you should realize that the answer needs to come from you. Man up. Don't rely on someone else to teach you how to be a man. Make the decision you can live with.
I have never had any problem making the decision myself, and have stated it repeatedly and clearly.

I do not waiver as to when there is a threat, or whether a fleeing criminal is any less a threat than a standing one.

Nice try, though.

But, you are right - you didn't tell anybody whether or not to defend their home. Just whether or not there was a threat.

iamanmpd

Yep, you just told them they were wrong if they defended their home if the criminal could be seen as fleeing.

Never said anybody was wrong. I said I don't believe a person should be killed for a burgulary. I said that I don't believe a person should be shot if they are "Fleeing". Not seen as fleeing. Make up some more lies. You keep wanting to throw the what if's in there. I keep telling you that you have to do what you have to do to defend your home. You want an answered tailored to you. Sorry, that isn't how life works. Again, man up.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Never said anybody was wrong. I said I don't believe a person should be killed for a burgulary. I said that I don't believe a person should be shot if they are "Fleeing". Not seen as fleeing. Make up some more lies. You keep wanting to throw the what if's in there. I keep telling you that you have to do what you have to do to defend your home. You want an answered tailored to you. Sorry, that isn't how life works. Again, man up.

:killingme
You crack me up.

This_person

I didn't need an answer, still. I still said over and over again how I felt about it. I was challenging your words, not weak on mine. Your repeated phrase of "man up" makes no sense to our conversation.

I didn't need a tailored answer to me, or any other answer. I knew right from wrong. I don't have to question when to defend my home.

As for fleeing vs. seen as fleeing, you couldn't describe when you thought someone met the criteria for fleeing (that's why I said "seen as"). As for me, I could not care less whether they are filling the bag, turning towards the door, going through the door, or running down the driveway - they're crooks on my land with (or trying to be with) my stuff; that makes them a threat, and whatever action I can take to ensure that particular person is never a threat to me or my family again is justified. I have no qualms with that, you do.

Man up. :lol:

Last edited:

Novus Collectus

That is something you have to define. I can't define it for you. That is what you don't get. You want a text book answer for something that is dynamic.

The answer is when a reasonable person would believe they are fleeing.
....and no longer a danger. The true test is reasonably apparent imminent danger. If they are a possible imminent danger to you or others that you may have to be in defense of, then they are still a danger even when running away.
For instance, the case in Baltimore last year where the guy who was in a house with his aunt and found someone in his kitchen. He fired at the fleeing person as he was leaving the room shooting him in the back and the invader died right outside the house. I assume since he did not know where in the house (or outside the house) his aunt was, he may be firing with the reasonable belief the invader is a threat to his aunt that might be in the room (or right outside the doorway) he was heading into.

A home invader is a valid threat by nature, and if you cannot tell if they are armed with a gun in the dark, then it is rational to a reasonable person to assume they are likely armed with a firearm and there is still the danger of them turning back and firing when running away, or more importantly if someone else is in the house you do not know where thy are, the chance they may shoot them upon egress.......and then there is the danger to others in the house of a stray bullet by the invader. If they might be armed, they may fire randomly in their retreat hitting a loved one in another room or on another floor.

Shooting a fleeing suspect for the citizen in a castle doctrine situation is very defensible depending on the circumstances.

iamanmpd

....and no longer a danger. The true test is reasonably apparent imminent danger. If they are a possible imminent danger to you or others that you may have to be in defense of, then they are still a danger even when running away.
For instance, the case in Baltimore last year where the guy who was in a house with his aunt and found someone in his kitchen. He fired at the fleeing person as he was leaving the room shooting him in the back and the invader died right outside the house. I assume since he did not know where in the house (or outside the house) his aunt was, he may be firing with the reasonable belief the invader is a threat to his aunt that might be in the room (or right outside the doorway) he was heading into.

A home invader is a valid threat by nature, and if you cannot tell if they are armed with a gun in the dark, then it is rational to a reasonable person to assume they are likely armed with a firearm and there is still the danger of them turning back and firing when running away, or more importantly if someone else is in the house you do not know where thy are, the chance they may shoot them upon egress.......and then there is the danger to others in the house of a stray bullet by the invader. If they might be armed, they may fire randomly in their retreat hitting a loved one in another room or on another floor.

Shooting a fleeing suspect for the citizen in a castle doctrine situation is very defensible depending on the circumstances.
The voice of reason!