Rear Projection LCD Television

rdkarob

Can anyone help me? I found a 50" rear projection televison on sale at Circuit City for 1299.00 (big sale for 3 days) I cannot afford to buy a "big" flat TV but I think this might be a great buy. Can anyone give me the details or are the rear projections junk. thnks

C-Murda

I had a HD DLP, I'm assuming that is what you are talking about. It blew out for some reason and I ended up taking it back and getting a plasma. As far as picture is concerned, it was just as good as the plasma.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I had a HD DLP, I'm assuming that is what you are talking about. It blew out for some reason and I ended up taking it back and getting a plasma. As far as picture is concerned, it was just as good as the plasma.

I looked at those.... Had issues viewing from the side. Plasmas and LCD are bright from all angles.

I was looking at a 73" rear projection LCD. I had the store move a 58" Plasma beside it. No question the Plasma was so much better. I went for quality over size and got the 58"

I have a 32" LCD, it the Aquos. Great TV, I think better picture than my Plasma

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Can anyone help me? I found a 50" rear projection televison on sale at Circuit City for 1299.00 (big sale for 3 days) I cannot afford to buy a "big" flat TV but I think this might be a great buy. Can anyone give me the details or are the rear projections junk. thnks
I have one I am selling for $1000. Comes with the stand.

Lurch

You can purchase tv's at bestbuy with a 20% coupon for a decent price. Also they have 48 months no interest, which you may be spending more than a couple extra hundred, but in the end you dont have to shell it out all at once.

You can get a 42 inch LCD for around 1200-1500

P

Patch Tuesday

Check out the reviews on CNET...

TV Reviews: LCD, HDTV, Flat Screen & Plasma Televisions & more - CNET

DLP's have an expensive bulb in the back that costs around $250 when it burns out. DLP's also do not do well in rooms with bright sunlight, but they do have a picture that's as good as most plasma's or LCD...

Be sure to check out Circuit City's and Best Buys online prices, because they are often much lower than the store. Even better deals can be had online with no sales tax...

:popcorn:

P

Patch Tuesday

Forgot, Directv is broadcasting HD in 1080i now on a bunch of channels, so I wouldn't buy any set with a rating of less than 1080i, or better yet 1080P which will handle the Blue Ray and HD DVD disks...

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Here's the Vizio website. They might be an option. Vizio Inc.- Home

Pete

Repete
Check out the reviews on CNET...

TV Reviews: LCD, HDTV, Flat Screen & Plasma Televisions & more - CNET

DLP's have an expensive bulb in the back that costs around $250 when it burns out. DLP's also do not do well in rooms with bright sunlight, but they do have a picture that's as good as most plasma's or LCD...

Be sure to check out Circuit City's and Best Buys online prices, because they are often much lower than the store. Even better deals can be had online with no sales tax...

50 inch plasma $2500
50 inch DLP $1300
Savings $1200 / $250 per bulb = 4.8 replacements

If a bulb lasts 3 years that is 12+ years. You wont even have it that long.

jenbengen

Watch it

We purchased a JVC 1080P DLP 56" rear projection 6 months ago and the picture quality is amazing. We had a standard rear projection tv before and it was tolerable, but the new ones are WAY lighter than the old models, have fantastic new technology that gives a crisp picture. The pic on our High Def channels is superb and watching movies now is awesome.
I'd recommend getting one. We couldn't afford the mega bucks flat panels and still feel like the pic quality on the one we got is top notch and could rival those anyday.

Just my opinion!

P

Patch Tuesday

50 inch plasma $2500
50 inch DLP $1300
Savings $1200 / $250 per bulb = 4.8 replacements

If a bulb lasts 3 years that is 12+ years. You wont even have it that long.

This set has largely fixed the bulb problem, but it didn't get a top review...

Panasonic PT-61LCZ70 Projection TV reviews - CNET Reviews

I agree with you on the bulb math, but if the set is going in a room with bright sunlight, a DLP isn't a good choice...

I've got a 60" Sony SXRD DLP set in my living room, that's a year old, and you have to close the curtains in order to enjoy it during the day...

Pete

Repete
This set has largely fixed the bulb problem, but it didn't get a top review...

Panasonic PT-61LCZ70 Projection TV reviews - CNET Reviews

I agree with you on the bulb math, but if the set is going in a room with bright sunlight, a DLP isn't a good choice...

I've got a 60" Sony SXRD DLP set in my living room, that's a year old, and you have to close the curtains in order to enjoy it during the day...

Curtains are cheap or get out and get a job so you are not home during the day.

P

Patch Tuesday

Curtains are cheap or get out and get a job so you are not home during the day.

So, you're advice is that I should block my waterfront view in my yard in order to watch TV...

That's why despite how much you try, you'll never be the smartest guy here...

:jameo:

beerlover

I've had one for 3 or 4 years and it is awesome. When it eventually breaks, I may go to the flat panel, but the picture seems the same to me.

Those Vizio flat panels didn't fare too well in the consumer reports reviews. But the price is nice compared to the others....

jackers

I have the Sony KDS60A2000 60 inch LCD TV. Absolutely love it. I think it is honestly the best thing I have ever bought. I love it because it makes standard definition viewable (bigger the tv, worse standard tv looks). And you should see the HD on there.

I have Directtv, HD DVD, and Xbox360.

LCD Pros
- Picture that rivals plasma
- Great black levels
- No rainbows (DLPs use a multi-color wheel and mirrors that sometimes give off rainbow effects across the screen)
- No burn in (images that stay in one place can actually be burnt into the picture - this is extremely important if you play video games where items like speedometers or clocks are displayed)

LCD Cons
- Price
- Size (can't hand a 60" LCD on the wall)

P

Patch Tuesday

I've got the same set...

I have the Sony KDS60A2000 60 inch LCD TV. Absolutely love it. I think it is honestly the best thing I have ever bought. I love it because it makes standard definition viewable (bigger the tv, worse standard tv looks). And you should see the HD on there.

I have Directtv, HD DVD, and Xbox360.

LCD Pros
- Picture that rivals plasma
- Great black levels
- No rainbows (DLPs use a multi-color wheel and mirrors that sometimes give off rainbow effects across the screen)
- No burn in (images that stay in one place can actually be burnt into the picture - this is extremely important if you play video games where items like speedometers or clocks are displayed)

LCD Cons
- Price
- Size (can't hand a 60" LCD on the wall)

The set you say you have is actually a DLP set, not an LCD. Sony calls their DLP technology SXRD. It has a lamp in the back and it's a projection TV...

Sony KDS-60A2000 Projection TV reviews - CNET Reviews

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
You really can't compare LCD and rear projections only because it's the technology that draws the picture. Basically, it comes down to size and price. Picture quality can be just as good on a rear projection compared to a LCD if you buy the right model. If you want a tv mounted on the wall, something thinner or a lighter, then get a LCD monitor or tv. If you want something cheaper and bigger get a rear projection tv.

DLP rear projection tv's are pretty nice. Texas Instruments really made a big difference to picture quality for the rear projection tv's. If you have devices that can produce, 1080p at 60fps, get a LCD or DLP rear projection that is capable of reaching a 1080p resolution. Don't forget to get HDMI cables.