Red Beans and Rice

SamSpade

I've always loved this, but I confess I've only ever made the stuff that comes out of a box.

That's fine - but - I'm the only one in the family with a stomach for the SPICY variety. If I make this and it's too spicy - they won't eat it.

Do you all know of a brand that's - well - less spicy? Normally I turn to brands that are Hispanic rather than New Orleans style - so - like - NOT Zararain's for example.

PJay

Once in a while when in the mood for red beans and rice I like Popeyes.

Give a try and if children like most sure there's a copycat recipe out there somewhere.

DaSDGuy

I've always loved this, but I confess I've only ever made the stuff that comes out of a box.

That's fine - but - I'm the only one in the family with a stomach for the SPICY variety. If I make this and it's too spicy - they won't eat it.

Do you all know of a brand that's - well - less spicy? Normally I turn to brands that are Hispanic rather than New Orleans style - so - like - NOT Zararain's for example.
Zatarain's is spicy? I usually add Tabasco or Habanero sauce (I prefer Iguana XXX Habanero Pepper Sauce)

LJ1999

Where you been stranger!

Yep. I've made homemade but like Popeyes best.
Been in more of a "stalking mood" lately. Haven't had much to add to any conversations.

But you know me and food!

I have tried numerous times to duplicate Popeye's Red Beans and Rice, but just can't get the flavor or texture right.

I like Zatarain's and Slap your Mama

PJay

Been in more of a "stalking mood" lately. Haven't had much to add to any conversations.

But you know me and food!

I have tried numerous times to duplicate Popeye's Red Beans and Rice, but just can't get the flavor or texture right.

I like Zatarain's and Slap your Mama
You start good food threads..do more. We all love talking about food..less stressful.

Thank you for the mention..will try next time in the mood.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Have you tried the Puerto Rican café in lex park, it was very good and not spicy

IMG_0578.jpeg

SamSpade

Why does anyone think I want to BUY rb&r ? Looking for a brand.

I did go with BLACK beans and rice, which is never HOT spicy. Kids liked it.
And for a backup plan, I was prepared to add more rice.

Sometime in the future, I will figure out how to make from scratch.

PJay

Why does anyone think I want to BUY rb&r ? Looking for a brand.

I did go with BLACK beans and rice, which is never HOT spicy. Kids liked it.
And for a backup plan, I was prepared to add more rice.

Sometime in the future, I will figure out how to make from scratch.
well, if you have it all figured out..why did you ask us?

I guess we suggested out because we know of no brand.

Good grief, Mr. Spade

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Good grief, Mr. Spade
I think that was directed at me. I figured he was wanting a solution and didn’t care on the path to it. Now Sam, do you want a box solution or would scratch directions suffice?

PJay

I think that was directed at me. I figured he was wanting a solution and didn’t care on the path to it. Now Sam, do you want a box solution or would scratch directions suffice?
I suggested out, too. One of the reasons like Popeyes.. for me, it's not hot.

SamSpade

Good grief, Mr. Spade
??? I didn't. I hoped someone would say "Goya isn't spicy - or Mahatma isn't spicy - or Knorr isn't spicy - or have you tried Glory?" and so on.

One of the things I'm trying to do is develop a regular repertoire for the kids - a few dozen things I can make repeatedly that I won't get complaints on. I got one kid who generally hates marinara. Another who mostly dislikes CHEESE. Another who rarely finishes ANY meal, unless it's mac and cheese or pizza. Marinara girl, she's not keen on any pasta or rice. Cheese girl, she wants noodles - and sweet. They all hate spicy. The boy and cheese girl - they don't want tough to chew, and only one likes seafood.

Tough audience. BUT - I'm gaining ground.

SamSpade

I suggested out, too. One of the reasons like Popeyes.. for me, it's not hot.
I can't figure them out. Middle girl LOVES ALL POPEYES. The other two, the NON-spicy stuff is too much for them.

ULTIMATELY - the goal is to develop a menu of things I can make with ease. Not to say "easy". I have some things that take a little skill but I have made them so often, I can do them with my eyes closed.

EVERY RARE once in a while, when most of them are gone - that's when I get to experiment. Use the smoker - smoke some brisket or salmon. Try something more exotic, like squid or goose or veal. The other night I made baked sea scallops with panko breading and roasted asparagus. I thought it was the best stuff I've made in a year. Middle girl and wife loved it - other two tried throwing it out.

PJay

??? I didn't. I hoped someone would say "Goya isn't spicy - or Mahatma isn't spicy - or Knorr isn't spicy - or have you tried Glory?" and so on.

One of the things I'm trying to do is develop a regular repertoire for the kids - a few dozen things I can make repeatedly that I won't get complaints on. I got one kid who generally hates marinara. Another who mostly dislikes CHEESE. Another who rarely finishes ANY meal, unless it's mac and cheese or pizza. Marinara girl, she's not keen on any pasta or rice. Cheese girl, she wants noodles - and sweet. They all hate spicy. The boy and cheese girl - they don't want tough to chew, and only one likes seafood.

Tough audience. BUT - I'm gaining ground.
Good luck trying to please everyone. What a task.

I had to eat what was put in front of me, like it, or throw it up.

SamSpade

Good luck trying to please everyone. What a task.

I had to eat what was put in front of me, like it, or throw it up.
Oh me too. My mom was - well she wasn't terrible, but most meals were ground beef thrown in with something. Ground beef in mac n cheese, ground beef in macaroni, ground beef in beans, ground beef in noodles and a stroganoff, ground beef in spanish rice -

My DAD was the cook - but - he didn't cook often. Yeah, we ate it, or nothing.

My WIFE is a great cook - but - her schedule makes cooking very challenging. She has that rare gift of knowing just how to assemble a recipe without FOLLOWING one. A kind of natural skill. Me, I'm a work in progress.

And the tough thing is - the boy has cognitive disability. He would rather starve. For whatever reason he just doesn't care. He's 5'8' and weighs 105. I have to make sure he eats.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Vigo isn't spicy. Like, the dry beans & rice with seasoning, looks like this:

beansrice.jpg

I just had some the other night with grilled shrimp.