Remnants of Hurricane Michael

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
For those that lost power, did you happen to go outside and look at the sky by any chance? I was out at 3am and it was magnificent. I never though of my area as being that well lit, but I guess it is - I've haven't seen it that bright in a very long time.

Are you sure that wasn't parking lot spotlights? :lol:

OldHillcrestGuy

Channel 9 had a reporter in the Dorf last night covering the flooding. Anybody hear the official rain totals for SoMD?

Im in Charlotte Hall and my rain gauge is pretty right on, it shows just over 5 inches. But between 6pm and 9pm it record 4 inches. My neighborhood had standing water in the just about every yard where the water flows past driveways. Ive been here for 40 years and my street which has a small creek that starts where the construction for the new McKays is suppose to be and runs underneath the Three Notch Trail flooded out where it comes through my street at both locations. It has never ever come close to doing what it did last night. There is about a 4 foot elevation from the creek to the road. As far as winds last night not so much around here, sticks and twigs is all Ive seen so far.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't live anywhere near a parking lot. Seriously, I have never seen them that bright. I was looking at them first through the trees and thought one was probably the moon until I walked out from underneath. I didn't even see the moon. It might be though that I had that cataract surgery. Whatever it was, that was the first time all the power was out everywhere and they were brilliant.

:yay:

I was snoozing at 330am.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From SMECO's FB page, posted about 20 minutes ago:

Tropical Storm Michael came through Southern Maryland last night, causing more than 24,000 outages. Our crews were able to restore more than 21,000 outages as of 6 a.m. and they continue to work in an effort to restore service for the remaining 2,715 members without power.

Great job, folks! :yay:

TPD

the poor dad
Channel 9 had a reporter in the Dorf last night covering the flooding. Anybody hear the official rain totals for SoMD?

The official total in Ridge is 6.86”.

Did southern St Mary’s get hit worst than the rest of the area? I’ve seen numerous trees across wires this morning in my travels. Lots of standing water and tree limbs on the roads. Our power has been off since 11 last night. No cable internet. Verizon cell service has been very spotty until about an hour ago - bouncing from no service to 1x to 3g. Based on my observations at 6:30 I just knew schools would be closed. We are the red headed step children down here in the south I guess....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The official total in Ridge is 6.86”.

Did southern St Mary’s get hit worst than the rest of the area? I’ve seen numerous trees across wires this morning in my travels. Lots of standing water and tree limbs on the roads. Our power has been off since 11 last night. No cable internet. Verizon cell service has been very spotty until about an hour ago - bouncing from no service to 1x to 3g. Based on my observations at 6:30 I just knew schools would be closed. We are the red headed step children down here in the south I guess....

Family in Dameron lost power (still out this morning) and numerous trees down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Family in Dameron lost power (still out this morning) and numerous trees down.

We lost power at our place on St. George's for a brief period last night and then again for only a "blink" this morning. However, with the blinkout this morning, our cable service died and has yet to reappear.

We're headed up river to our other island in a few hours so hopefully everything is OK up there and everything here will be back up by the time we return on Sunday. Hopefully.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We lost power at our place on St. George's for a brief period last night and then again for only a "blink" this morning. However, with the blinkout this morning, our cable service died and has yet to reappear.

We're headed up river to our other island in a few hours so hopefully everything is OK up there and everything here will be back up by the time we return on Sunday. Hopefully.

Good luck!

inkah

The kayaks on the hook were banging against the deck and woke me up in the middle of the night, so I turned the scanner on out of curiosity. Sounded like most tree down calls were in the south end of the county. At one point, the fire department had to ask someone to call SMECO: “but they should already be there - they are the ones that called you”. FD response after a very brief hesitation: “oh they are here - they are at the end of the road asleep”. . God bless our 1st responders, SMECO and ‘Murica.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Power was out about an hour starting around 1 AM here in the Pembrooke subdivision.