Restaurants

BernieP

Resident PIA
That's right - we've had many substitutions at the Ruddy Duck.

Hey - I luv that icky veggie medley! :lol:

to my point about quality (non chain) restaurants :)
I remember the words from the owner / host of this little Italian joint.
"You no see what you like on the menu I make for you, I have all the ingredients, you just tell me what yuo want".

Said with a smile, pride and with warmth and good cheer.
He wanted to cook me a meal I wanted to eat.
Not that some of the people at the chain places wouldn't like to accommodate you, but much of the meal comes packaged and the cooks aren't set up to make those changes.
Plus the wait staff might not be aware of what substitutions can be made

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A little off topic, but...

Girl and I were at Clarke's Landing one evening not too long ago. I ordered a meal of the Specials list. While we were waiting a foursome came in and were seated at the table next to us. When they asked their waitress what the specials were that night, she told them that they don't have specials. She must have been new.

A little off topic, but...

Girl and I were at Clarke's Landing one evening not too long ago. I ordered a meal of the Specials list. While we were waiting a foursome came in and were seated at the table next to us. When they asked their waitress what the specials were that night, she told them that they don't have specials. She must have been new.

When your food came out, did you go on an on and onnnn about how good the "Special" was that night? :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When your food came out, did you go on an on and onnnn about how good the "Special" was that night? :lol:

Actually, no. After the waitress walked away I told the lady that they do have specials, I had ordered my salmon from that and not off the regular menu.

drivingdaisy

I think we can agree that the quality of food and workers in most chain restaurants is a little on the low side. You'll hurt their brains with all your substitutions.

I have noticed that more upscale restaurants are more likely to have their meat featured as an entree with a la carte sides like salads, potatoes, veggies, etc. Or you could try a cafeteria. haha.

Just recently I was very excited to find that my favorite sushi place actually has a lot of cooked sushi rolls so that I can still enjoy sushi while pregnant.

tipsymcgee

I think maybe it was Ruby Tuesday's where you could see into the back from the bar...they had pictures of how things should appear for the workers to double-check, I guess.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think maybe it was Ruby Tuesday's where you could see into the back from the bar...they had pictures of how things should appear for the workers to double-check, I guess.

Kind of like a Braille menu at the drive through wondow!

thrash

For the record, we are not dumb. Most of us are in college trying to be smarter than the idiots we serve at our restaurant. And trust me, some customers are just downright idiotic. Secondly, the reference photos for plate presentation are there because we're required by corporate to display them. Trust me, nobody looks at them. Ever.
Now to my main point-- if you have specific dietary concerns, it is not the responsibility of a restaurant to accommodate you. In fact, it is your sole responsibility to accommodate yourself. Eating out is a luxury, NOT a privilege. You'll save yourself a lot of money and calories by eating and entertaining in your own home. Also, why do people expect chain restaurants to display nutrition facts on their menus, but not local restaurants? Do you really think a porterhouse cooked at a chain restaurant is going to have more calories than at a local steakhouse? If that's information that's important to you, take the responsibility to research it yourself. I have an app on my smartphone that I use when I'm dieting. It allows me to browse and search any menu item at practically any chain restaurant and view the nutritional content of each item.
Don't be lazy, don't expect the world to wait on you hand and foot to accommodate your every 21st-century crackpot WebMD "ailments." A disability is just that-- a disability. You're disabled. You're not able to do certain things. Get over it. Embrace it. The solutions to your problems are right under your nose; stop relying on others and take the initiative to resolve them yourself.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
For the record, we are not dumb. Most of us are in college trying to be smarter than the idiots we serve at our restaurant. And trust me, some customers are just downright idiotic. Secondly, the reference photos for plate presentation are there because we're required by corporate to display them. Trust me, nobody looks at them. Ever.
Now to my main point-- if you have specific dietary concerns, it is not the responsibility of a restaurant to accommodate you. In fact, it is your sole responsibility to accommodate yourself. Eating out is a luxury, NOT a privilege. You'll save yourself a lot of money and calories by eating and entertaining in your own home. Also, why do people expect chain restaurants to display nutrition facts on their menus, but not local restaurants? Do you really think a porterhouse cooked at a chain restaurant is going to have more calories than at a local steakhouse? If that's information that's important to you, take the responsibility to research it yourself. I have an app on my smartphone that I use when I'm dieting. It allows me to browse and search any menu item at practically any chain restaurant and view the nutritional content of each item.
Don't be lazy, don't expect the world to wait on you hand and foot to accommodate your every 21st-century crackpot WebMD "ailments." A disability is just that-- a disability. You're disabled. You're not able to do certain things. Get over it. Embrace it. The solutions to your problems are right under your nose; stop relying on others and take the initiative to resolve them yourself.

Really? I'm not sure where your rant came from - but I'm going to let somebody else handle it. I'm not in the mood. However, if you let me know where you work, I promise to never frequent your establishment. I've run into many great places and fabulous servers who have had no problem requesting vegetarian meals for me, that deserve my tip.

Good luck with that... I would also consider re-taking Business Administration. You have no business ethic if this is how you think customers should be treated. I would like to know at which restaurant you serve? I can see that the management is probably that of a McDonalds.

A business is NOTHING without customer satisfaction. When a customer is not satisfied, they are no longer customers. When they are no longer customers, you no longer get a tip. When you no longer get a tip, you can no longer afford college. When you can't afford college, don't come crying to us because we warned you. :coffee:

tercel95

Really? I'm not sure where your rant came from - but I'm going to let somebody else handle it. I'm not in the mood. However, if you let me know where you work, I promise to never frequent your establishment. I've run into many great places and fabulous servers who have had no problem requesting vegetarian meals for me, that deserve my tip.

I think he/she was a little mad that a couple posts seem to imply that people who work in these restaurants are "dumb" and can't handle these special requests. I've been there and it is true there are some dumb people that work in these restaurants that don't really care about the customer. For a lot of people though it is just a way to get by while trying to move on to bigger and better things.

To put their words more reasonably, a restaurant shouldn't HAVE to cater to people with special dietary needs. If a restaurant wants to make those kinds of accomodations then they will get the business from those people but people should know that it does come at the price of efficiency.

When you work in a chain restaurant there is typically a process in place that the employees are trained on. When you have 30 tickets draped across the counter and someone special orders something a lot goes into getting that to your plate. Lets say the customer orders a hamburger with no bun and wants extra tomato. Some ordering software can account for that and some can't. The server will have to come in and say Ticket #xxx doesn't want the bun and extra tomato. When that ticket is 10 orders down the line it is hard to remember that particular order is "special". Also cooks on the line have individual responsibilities so whoever is in charge of the kitchen will have to delegate that order to the proper cook. The person who plates the burger might be different from the person who adds the lettuce. Chances are someone will forget something and the server will just throw the bun in the trash and bring the food out to you.

You can see how this might get out of hand quickly. A lot of kitchens just aren't setup for that kind of flexibility.

tercel95

Also for those who have never worked in a restaurant you should watch the movie Waiting. Most of the actors are caricatures but I think it accurately portrays restaurant life. Also, it is hilarious.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think he/she was a little mad that a couple posts seem to imply that people who work in these restaurants are "dumb" and can't handle these special requests. I've been there and it is true there are some dumb people that work in these restaurants that don't really care about the customer. For a lot of people though it is just a way to get by while trying to move on to bigger and better things.

To put their words more reasonably, a restaurant shouldn't HAVE to cater to people with special dietary needs. If a restaurant wants to make those kinds of accomodations then they will get the business from those people but people should know that it does come at the price of efficiency.

When you work in a chain restaurant there is typically a process in place that the employees are trained on. When you have 30 tickets draped across the counter and someone special orders something a lot goes into getting that to your plate. Lets say the customer orders a hamburger with no bun and wants extra tomato. Some ordering software can account for that and some can't. The server will have to come in and say Ticket #xxx doesn't want the bun and extra tomato. When that ticket is 10 orders down the line it is hard to remember that particular order is "special". Also cooks on the line have individual responsibilities so whoever is in charge of the kitchen will have to delegate that order to the proper cook. The person who plates the burger might be different from the person who adds the lettuce. Chances are someone will forget something and the server will just throw the bun in the trash and bring the food out to you.

You can see how this might get out of hand quickly. A lot of kitchens just aren't setup for that kind of flexibility.

No, I can't.

Because I've worked as a waitress and a bartender. I've hustled my arse off and gone to bed aching everywhere. I've blown out support tennis shoes at the rate of a pair a week. I've kissed so much arse in my lifetime that my lips are at permanant pucker.

But I remember my co-workers biytching that I got tipped by regular customers that they never got tips from.

As a result of that life, I know for a fact that my requests are not a big deal. I also know that as a result of that life, I overtip when I get good service.

So if you will let me know where you work, I won't frequent your establishment either.

tercel95

No, I can't.

Because I've worked as a waitress and a bartender. I've hustled my arse off and gone to bed aching everywhere. I've blown out support tennis shoes at the rate of a pair a week. I've kissed so much arse in my lifetime that my lips are at permanant pucker.

But I remember my co-workers biytching that I got tipped by regular customers that they never got tips from.

As a result of that life, I know for a fact that my requests are not a big deal. I also know that as a result of that life, I overtip when I get good service.

So if you will let me know where you work, I won't frequent your establishment either.

When I worked at a restaurant I promise you I worked as hard as I could. This was many years ago when I was still in high school. I had a full day of school and typically worked 30+ hours a week. I think I didn't explain my point well. The OP made a post a while back that there should be legislation in place to force restaurants to offer healthy alternatives/a la carte menu. I simply don't agree with that is all.

Most restaurants will cater to special requests I was just trying to explain that it puts a stress on the entire restaurant and people should realize that. I'm sorry you took my point of view as that of someone who is lazy. Restaurant work is tough and stressful and unless the server has an attitude I always tip well. I know that most mistakes are made in the kitchen and not by the server.

When I worked at a restaurant I promise you I worked as hard as I could. This was many years ago when I was still in high school. I had a full day of school and typically worked 30+ hours a week. I think I didn't explain my point well. The OP made a post a while back that there should be legislation in place to force restaurants to offer healthy alternatives/a la carte menu. I simply don't agree with that is all.

Most restaurants will cater to special requests I was just trying to explain that it puts a stress on the entire restaurant and people should realize that. I'm sorry you took my point of view as that of someone who is lazy. Restaurant work is tough and stressful and unless the server has an attitude I always tip well. I know that most mistakes are made in the kitchen and not by the server.

Every job is stressful, honey... :coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And there it is.

Thrash, because you're all smart and stuff - smarter than the idiots you serve at your restaurant - you surely understand that, if everyone took your advice and stayed home to eat, you would be unemployed.

Anyway, it won't be hard for me to help you in your quest to not have to wait on people for money, since I don't go to chain slop houses. But you have fun with your future. That 'tude is a sure fire path to a terrific job.

And there it is.

Thrash, because you're all smart and stuff - smarter than the idiots you serve at your restaurant - you surely understand that, if everyone took your advice and stayed home to eat, you would be unemployed.

Anyway, it won't be hard for me to help you in your quest to not have to wait on people for money, since I don't go to chain slop houses. But you have fun with your future. That 'tude is a sure fire path to a terrific job.

:yeahthat:

Also, Vrai... you are wanted in the chili recipe tread... :coffee: TIA :yay:

Beta84

They're out to get us

This was just too good to pass up :lol:

Based on your post, I'm questioning your opening statement. Restaurants are a service business, meaning you're supposed to cater to your paying customers. It's as simple as that. If the demand is for a calorie count on the menu, then restaurants would be smart to provide it. If the demand is for more vegetarian or vegan options, restaurants would be smart to provide them. It is absolutely a restaurant's responsibility to take care of people with food allergies, OR provide a warning for food allergies that can be encountered so those people stay away, such as a restaurant the fries everything in peanut oil should warn people with peanut allergies, if not switch to another oil to prevent the problem.

You're going nowhere if you can't grasp the simple concept that, as a restaurant employee, you are responsible for doing whatever your customer asks, within reason. None of the things being discussed in this topic are unreasonable. If, after college, you do manage to get a "smart" job, your attitude will probably keep you from going anywhere since you'll just think your boss is an idiot and he/she will fire you for being insubordinate. Good luck with that, you'll need it :yay:

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
For the record, we are not dumb.

Deaf maybe? When I asked for an Iced Tea with NO LEMON and guess what was in my glass? Maybe they need a picture of a glass of iced tea with no lemon for you to look at. Oh, never mind you don't bother to look at the pictures that your job requires you to. Good luck with a real job and having to follow someone elses instructions :shrug: