RIP George MIchael news sports announcer

trailtoy

I never missed the 'Sports Machine' back in the day! He really changed the way things were done. That long article doesn't mention how many of his junior people went on to be sports anchors in other markets, another notch in his Gucci belt.

RIP George.

The holiday death thing is a bummer, lost my grandmother on Christmas day 1995.

glhs837

Power with Control
-10 points to his station. Just saw some of the coverage. Cut to a female reporter outside the studio, after saying hoe he changed folks lives he never met.

(camera shot of newslady with big sat dishes in the background)

"We called these Georges dishes"

Really? I have my doubts.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
-10 points to his station. Just saw some of the coverage. Cut to a female reporter outside the studio, after saying hoe he changed folks lives he never met.

I thought she said something about WRC having those dishes installed to assist with the nationwide broadcast of The Sports Machine?

I did notice that her voice was cracking when she signed off. I didn't think she had been on that station long enough to have worked with him.

SoMdDude

She had been with NBC4 for along time actually

And those dishes were put in back in the day for his NATIONALLY SYNDICATED George Michael Sports Machine

I grew up watching that show and stayed up late every sunday to watch it.. then of course a staple for years was Redskins Report, and The Coaches shows he ran and produced. He started out here in 1980.. and even ESPN said because of George, Sportscenter came about..that pretty effin big.

RIP George, you made people smile and never sugar coated anything, you will be missed!

Tikibar

Wayne from Maine
What a classy guy. I really enjoyed watching "The Sports Machine" on Sunday nights. Thanks for the memories George!