Road Trip

Agee

Going to New England (Mass) for Christmas. The town is about an hour west of Boston. So, from St. Mary's, what's your preferred route once you clear Delaware?

Jersey Turnpike at rush hour. Take the OuterBridge Crossing onto Staten Island, Verazzano Bridge onto the Belt Parkway, migrate your way across Long Island heading east, onto Sound Avenue in Riverhead and out to the Orient Point Ferry over to Connecticut. Then 95 north.

OH.... you wanted a GOOD way to go.......

Nebermind.... Fly.

PM Dye tied. She heads up that way often.

Last edited:

Agee

Jersey Turnpike at rush hour. Take the OuterBridge Crossing onto Staten Island, Verazzano Bridge onto the Belt Parkway, migrate your way across Long Island heading east, onto Sound Avenue in Riverhead and out to the Orient Point Ferry over to Connecticut. Then 95 north.

Nebermind.... Fly.

I've done the Verazzano, 278 and eventually 95 through Connecticut. If memory serves me, 95 thorugh Connecticut was in bad shape? I've also done, The Garden State Pkwy to the Tap-N-Zee Bridge.

Don't want to mess with the hassle of flying the weekend before Christmas.

Thanks and :cheers:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

Nebermind.... Fly.

:lol: I fly into Manchester. I grew up an hour west of Boston. When I drove to Mass. I always left at 5 a.m. and took the NJTP and the George Wash. Bridge. Also took the Wilbur Cross Parkway and I think up 91 or 95 to the Mass. Pike East. I haven't driven up there since 1993.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Going to New England (Mass) for Christmas. The town is about an hour west of Boston. So, from St. Mary's, what's your preferred route once you clear Delaware?

Don't clear Delaware..

Go North from Frederick.. I 81.. follw that to either Scranton and then cut East, or up to Binghamton to Albany.. then cut East.. I've done the Delaware, Philly NYC route once.. that was one time too many

Trust me, it's worth the extra miles.

Agee

Don't clear Delaware..

Go North from Frederick.. I 81.. follw that to either Scranton and then cut East, or up to Binghamton to Albany.. then cut East.. I've done the Delaware, Philly NYC route once.. that was one time too many

Any ideas, on how many "extra miles"?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Any ideas, on how many "extra miles"?

Not sure, but it's the route my parents take everytime they come down from NH.. and back.. THey took the other route ONE time too..

I'm pretty sure it's less than 100 miles.. a lot less time than you'll be spending in traffic on the other route..

sccrmommy

I normally go 81 to Scranton and cut over also, but with them North getting a Nor Easter I'm not so sure you'd want to be on those roads without much bail out for help. NJTP shoul dbe the way to go just in case of emergency. Good Luck! Those roads will be h*ll!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:lol: I fly into Manchester. I grew up an hour west of Boston. When I drove to Mass. I always left at 5 a.m. and took the NJTP and the George Wash. Bridge. Also took the Wilbur Cross Parkway and I think up 91 or 95 to the Mass. Pike East. I haven't driven up there since 1993.
And you don't, believe me. Sis and I went up that way a couple of years ago on our way to New Hampshire. Ugh.

Don't clear Delaware..

:yay: I've done both ways and going up 81 is far preferable to avoid the mess around NYC. I've gone up I-81 to Scranton, take I-380 east for a couple of miles, then get on I-84 east which will drop you in mid-Massachusetts onto I-90 around Sturbridge and about 20 miles west of Worchester - my old stomping grounds when I was a kid. The only problem I ever had with this was was going through Hartford around rush hour, so avoid those times if at all possible.

And it is not that many more miles than the other way and a lot better driving conditions plus prettier scenery. And if you stop in Waterbury, Connecticut, they have a kick-azz Italian restaurant there with the best breadsticks I've ever had in my life. :cheers:

Last edited:
I've done the Verazzano, 278 and eventually 95 through Connecticut. If memory serves me, 95 thorugh Connecticut was in bad shape? I've also done, The Garden State Pkwy to the Tap-N-Zee Bridge.

Don't want to mess with the hassle of flying the weekend before Christmas.

Thanks and :cheers:

No prob! Glad to help!! :killingme

I've never taken the I-81 route ItsBob and Jazz talk about, but I can tell you that you really do not want to travel the I-95 corridor Christmas weekend. At all. Avoid the areas around NYC and eastern New Jersey. Not so bad once you get up past NYC into CT, but even 95 thru CT can be a pain.

Regardless, Safe Travels, Buddy! :buddies:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Too late for a flight but Manchester is the best airport. It's small, manageable and easy in and out. To central Mass is close as is the rest of N.H. and Vermont :yay: Maybe next time you might try it. :huggy:

Claff

I go to MA/NH seven or eight times a year and the closest I've ever come to NYC is the TappanZee Bridge.

If it's an extra hour to go 83/81/84 it's well worth the reduced traffic and NO TOLLS. Well, there is that $1 toll on 84 crossing the Hudson, but compared to what must be $10+ to go through MD/DE/NJ, that's nuthin.

Agee

Don't clear Delaware..

Mucho Grazzy-Azz Bob!

I normally go 81 to Scranton and cut over also, but with them North getting a Nor Easter I'm not so sure you'd want to be on those roads without much bail out for help. NJTP shoul dbe the way to go just in case of emergency. Good Luck! Those roads will be h*ll!

Thank-You a bunch! Driving a Jeep, and I know how to use it!

:yay: I've done both ways and going up 81 is far preferable to avoid the mess around NYC. I've gone up I-81 to Scranton, take I-380 east for a couple of miles, then get on I-84 east which will drop you in mid-Massachusetts onto I-90 around Sturbridge and about 20 miles west of Worchester - my old stomping grounds when I was a kid. The only problem I ever had with this was was going through Hartford around rush hour, so avoid those times if at all possible.

And it is not that many more miles than the other way and a lot better driving conditions plus prettier scenery. And if you stop in Waterbury, Connecticut, they have a kick-azz Italian restaurant there with the best breadsticks I've ever had in my life. :cheers:

Always the voice of reason, TY my sweet!

No prob! Glad to help!! :killingme

I've never taken the I-81 route ItsBob and Jazz talk about, but I can tell you that you really do not want to travel the I-95 corridor Christmas weekend. At all. Avoid the areas around NYC and eastern New Jersey. Not so bad once you get up past NYC into CT, but even 95 thru CT can be a pain.

Regardless, Safe Travels, Buddy! :buddies:

The "95 Corridor" indeed, and a great point :cheers:

Too late for a flight but Manchester is the best airport. It's small, manageable and easy in and out. To central Mass is close as is the rest of N.H. and Vermont :yay: Maybe next time you might try it. :huggy:

Manchester or Providence, great options! As you know, by the time you factor in 3 hours advance drive time to BWI, an 1 1/2 flight, luggage retreivel, a rental car and a 1 hour drive, it becomes a wash! But I do love to fly!

I go to MA/NH seven or eight times a year and the closest I've ever come to NYC is the TappanZee Bridge.

If it's an extra hour to go 83/81/84 it's well worth the reduced traffic and NO TOLLS. Well, there is that $1 toll on 84 crossing the Hudson, but compared to what must be $10+ to go through MD/DE/NJ, that's nuthin.

Great Option, and TY! :cheers:

SpriteZero

Here is the way I go to Boston and avoid NYC....

Take 95 north to NJ turnpike..take turnpike north..

EXIT: I - 287 I believe it is Exit #10..go WEST
I- 287/87 will take you across the Tapenzee bridge,,,,

Continue on I- 287 to I- 684 north.

follow I-684 and it will merge into I- 84 ..go EAST..

On I- 84 East, go inot Danbury CT. Nice place to eat and sleep...... I consider this the half way point.

Stay on I- 84 all the way to its end at the Mass Pike... I-90. Follow I -90 into Boston.

It should take you 8 hours drive time.....

Hope this helps...

NEVER go thru NYC/ West Conn area unless it is 3 am in the morning....

tiltedangel

go through the baltimore tunnel towards the nj trnpk get on the turnpike, take it to pallisades parkway(just after you exit the turn pike and immediately before the george washington bridge it is exit 9 west) which leads to the ny state thru way take the thru way to the mass pike...the ride is much better and you miss a lot of congestion that way...it takes us 7 hours to go from here to lee mass...and you don't have to deal with ny or connecticut traffic..