Roadside memorials - a letter to our Governor

BuddyLee

Football addict
crabcake said:
The more I think about it, the more I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen any roadside memorials down here that I recall. :confused: But people here aren't in as much a rush to get everywhere as they are up north, and there doesn't seem to be as many deaths that I hear about due to car accidents. I guess that is evident when I think about how my car insurance dropped significantly when I moved here (in a major city) from Mechanicsville, where it was out in the country. :ohwell:
When I went to Columbia, North Carolina which is about an hour away from Nags head there were cemetaries everywhere and almost down every road. No roadside memorials but a ton of cemetaries, pretty neat.

K

Kain99

BuddyLee said:
When I went to Columbia, North Carolina which is about an hour away from Nags head there were cemetaries everywhere and almost down every road. No roadside memorials but a ton of cemetaries, pretty neat.
That's because you see dead people....

BuddyLee said:
North Carolina ( at least Thomasville ) is nothing but churches and Biscuitvilles!!

:lol:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
BuddyLee said:
That's all those damn fools who live coastal and get bumped off cuz they don't leave when a hurricane rolls in. :whistle:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
CableChick said:
North Carolina ( at least Thomasville ) is nothing but churches and Biscuitvilles!!

:lol:
You just reminded me that I'd picked up hush puppy mix from Smithfield BBQ when I was there last. I might hafta put a batch together and see how close they are to the ones they make fresh. :yum: :yum:

crabcake said:
You just reminded me that I'd picked up hush puppy mix from Smithfield BBQ when I was there last. I might hafta put a batch together and see how close they are to the ones they make fresh. :yum: :yum:
:yum: :yum: I miss Tommy's BBQ in Thomasville!!! And red hotdogs!!! :yum: :yum:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Is that port-a-potty still across the street from Jazz? I'm thinking we could set up a port-a-potty-side memorial...you know... as if someone fell in...:bubble:

Thankfully, it is GONE. :yay:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
My parents are both from N.C. and I went to N.C. State (Go Wolfpack!)

I make my own N.C. Barbecue. Just like Gram used to make. So simple and mmmm mmmmm good.. (I even do it in the crockpot) Gram's recipe puts Smithfield's or Bar B Que Lodge's to shame. On a bun with cole slaw and hush puppies on the side... :cool:

All this food talk tonight has made me hungry.............

pineapple

I don't see what the big deal is, there is not that many memorials. I see a few here and there- and when I do see them, I think of the poor family that lost a loved one. Not how the cross or teddy bear is an eyesore! I can't believe that something so small, something that really doesn't even effect you bothers you so much that you need to write a letter to the governor. There are many more important issues that are more deserving of a letter than roadside memorials. You do sound callous and you sound like a jerk. And not at all funny.
dry w/3 olives said:
Office of the Governor
100 State Circle
Annapolis, Md. 21401-1925

Greetings – let me start by saying that I do sympathize for those who grieve and am truly not a callous person. Having said that, I urge you, or whomever appropriate, to please put an end to these memorials that are springing up along our roads. Cemeteries. Not only do they provide a great location for burying loved ones (and even those not-so-loved…), but they provide a wonderfully appropriate environment for expressing grief – the side of the road provides nothing but an eyesore to those who drive along, and I'd venture a guess that the overwhelming majority of these drivers are not grieving family members. It’s really worse than an eyesore – it's fancy litter. I'm really beginning to wonder if someone's out there preying on grief-stricken families... someone with lots of stock in whirly-gigs and white crosses.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Is this even legal? If it is, am I also at liberty to commemorate one of my greatest losses at the side of the road? I’ll be thrilled to know I can finally and legally erect a structure to memorialize this tragic event and remind people to use condoms at the same time!:lmao:
<o:p></o:p>

Although I jest, I’m serious about my overall request. Sadly, people die in accidents everyday, so if we don’t nip this in the bud now, it won’t be long before all of our roads are lined with these morose reminders and weather-worn teddy bears. Nobody wants to appear unsympathetic, so consider and promote options. Far be it from me to ever complain without offering help, so here’s a really superb idea (IMHO) – start a 'plant a tree' program where a tree is planted in one of our state or county parks, or hey, even along a road, with an optional dedication plaque to help offset expenses. You'd be heroes! Encourage people to celebrate their loved-one’s life through the nurturing of a tree, instead of littering our roadsides and endangering everyone’s safety.

As a Maryland taxpayer and citizen, I object to these objects on our public property, and many of my friends and coworkers feel the same. Anyhow, I hope that I was able to give you a good chuckle as you read this because I imagine you might get a little bored with complaints every now and then… but I hope even more that you’ll do something about it. Thanks much for your time and attention, and I look forward to seeing positive results!

MysticalMom said:
My parents are both from N.C. and I went to N.C. State (Go Wolfpack!)

I make my own N.C. Barbecue. Just like Gram used to make. So simple and mmmm mmmmm good.. (I even do it in the crockpot) Gram's recipe puts Smithfield's or Bar B Que Lodge's to shame. On a bun with cole slaw and hush puppies on the side... :cool:

All this food talk tonight has made me hungry.............
Cole slaw? :twitch:

It's slaw! NC slaw is totally different than cole slaw!! :smack:

Then again, you did go to State! :razz:

Go Blue Devils!!!!

Vince

MMDad said:
Try the new traffic circle in Lusby. Four idiots all stopped at yield signs, waving toward each other to go.
Hey, at least they finally got around to paving it. So now the idiots can wave at each other on a nice paved roadway. :lmao:

dry w/3 olives

wow, a custom user title!
But of course!

John Z said:
I'm with you on this one Dry, but did you really send it to Gov'ner?
Hi there - I did indeed, a few days before I posted it here... one of my friends thought I should sent it as a letter to the editor, but I thought this would reach a greater audience!

dry w/3 olives

Isn't that the truth! The memorials have been a pet-peeve for a while and it's taken me this long to find a moment to express my opinion.

dry w/3 olives

The traffic is horrible there... what I don't get are the folks that need to "hurry up and stop" when you want to pull out. God forbid anyone have a little common courtesy and let you onto the road... if the light is red, what's the rush?

dry w/3 olives

around we go

Oh lighten up... at least when someone finally does go, they know enough to go in the right direction:wink:

Baby steps... I'm guessing most aren't from the northeast where traffic circles were a modern marvel 40 years ago.