Roadside memorials - a letter to our Governor

MMDad

Lem Putt
dry w/3 olives said:
Oh lighten up... at least when someone finally does go, they know enough to go in the right direction:wink:

Baby steps... I'm guessing most aren't from the northeast where traffic circles were a modern marvel 40 years ago.

Dumbazz. There is a "reply with quote" option. Use it. It is your friend.

dry w/3 olives

wow, a custom user title!
My, you're just full of yourself, aren't you... apparently someone as selfish as you appear is too callous to feel for the family whose loved one was killed by the drunk whose family set up the memorial, driving by that shrine to the murderer every day? What a mindless bonehead... you're not worth another ounce of my intelligence or energy.

dry w/3 olives

I hear ya, but I've written our legislators on serious issues such as health care and taxes and have never even received an acknowledgement...:shrug: I did, however, send a letter to the Guv about emissions, and not only was I acknowledged, but received two responses from MDE.

I wasn't sure about the legality - thanks for clearing that up. But I did suggest the trees, and I meant that most sincerely. That would be an action that would have benefits for many. I understand some people feel they need to grieve where their loved one died, and a tree, flowers, something to enhance the area, and not distract drivers or become an eyesore, would be an ideal solution.

MMDad said:
On a serious note, if you would actually like to do something about this, you have to do one of two things. First, if you want the law changed, contact your legislators, not the Governator. Second do your homework.

Instead of joking and suggesting, ask the Gov. to do something. These memorials are illegal on state highways.

There is no enforcement, just like most of our traffic laws. Ask for reasonable enforcement. It's just like a car on the side of the road. The trooper has discretion whether to warn, ticket, or tow based on time, safety, and circumstances. Since local LE is usually involved, they already know how old the shrine is. Give the mourners a reasonable amount of time and protect public safety. Big crosses and shrines in the median or on tight shoulders can be dangerous projectiles and should be limited. Things like balloons and flowers don't seem dangerous at first, but do we really want anything more to distract out drivers who are already busy eating, shaving, putting on makeup, looking at a map, and chatting on the phone? Amen to that.

BuddyLee

Football addict
dry w/3 olives said:
My, you're just full of yourself, aren't you... apparently someone as selfish as you appear is too callous to feel for the family whose loved one was killed by the drunk whose family set up the memorial, driving by that shrine to the murderer every day? What a mindless bonehead... you're not worth another ounce of my intelligence or energy.
Pot or kettle, I can't decide.:killingme

Laurel

Can "dry w/3 olives" post here, letting us know if they received any response from the Gov. to their letter?

Toxick

Splat
I think the verdict is:

It is legal to put up roadside memorials. HOWEVER, it is also legal to get out your car, and kick them over if you see them.

dry w/3 olives

Yes, I did get a response!

Hi Laurel - I did receive a response. To summarize, the response said that they have received many letters regarding this issue and that they are looking for alternative ways for people to express their grief at such locations. They are looking into a program with the state parks system, but the details escape me at the moment. I saved the letter, so I'll dig it out and get back on that. But what did bother me in the response was a statement about how our good State Troopers tidy up any foresaken memorials if they see them while on patrol... now that, dear people, is a huge waste of our tax dollars, and just makes a stronger case to forbid these memorials altogether. Can you just see it? "Gee Chief, sorry I didn't respond to the call. I was busy picking up what appears to be teddy bear remains." Good Lord...

Too Hot 4u

dry w/3 olives said:
Office of the Governor
100 State Circle
Annapolis, Md. 21401-1925

Greetings – let me start by saying that I do sympathize for those who grieve and am truly not a callous person. Having said that, I urge you, or whomever appropriate, to please put an end to these memorials that are springing up along our roads. Cemeteries. Not only do they provide a great location for burying loved ones (and even those not-so-loved…), but they provide a wonderfully appropriate environment for expressing grief – the side of the road provides nothing but an eyesore to those who drive along, and I'd venture a guess that the overwhelming majority of these drivers are not grieving family members. It’s really worse than an eyesore – it's fancy litter. I'm really beginning to wonder if someone's out there preying on grief-stricken families... someone with lots of stock in whirly-gigs and white crosses.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Is this even legal? If it is, am I also at liberty to commemorate one of my greatest losses at the side of the road? I’ll be thrilled to know I can finally and legally erect a structure to memorialize this tragic event and remind people to use condoms at the same time!:lmao:
<o:p></o:p>

Although I jest, I’m serious about my overall request. Sadly, people die in accidents everyday, so if we don’t nip this in the bud now, it won’t be long before all of our roads are lined with these morose reminders and weather-worn teddy bears. Nobody wants to appear unsympathetic, so consider and promote options. Far be it from me to ever complain without offering help, so here’s a really superb idea (IMHO) – start a 'plant a tree' program where a tree is planted in one of our state or county parks, or hey, even along a road, with an optional dedication plaque to help offset expenses. You'd be heroes! Encourage people to celebrate their loved-one’s life through the nurturing of a tree, instead of littering our roadsides and endangering everyone’s safety.

As a Maryland taxpayer and citizen, I object to these objects on our public property, and many of my friends and coworkers feel the same. Anyhow, I hope that I was able to give you a good chuckle as you read this because I imagine you might get a little bored with complaints every now and then… but I hope even more that you’ll do something about it. Thanks much for your time and attention, and I look forward to seeing positive results!

You still do not get it.

Too Hot 4u

BuddyLee said:
Agreed to a point. However, If I were to have something distract me, I'd rather have that 'gentle reminder' to be a little safer than to talk on my non-existant cell to my non-existant babies momma.

Agree with you. There is too much other stuff to biatch about then this. Real estate signs, endless yard sale signs just to name a few.

My sister lost her daughter in a car accident and she does have a marker there. Legal or not it helps her. The loss of a child hits people in many ways that just cannot be put into words or reason. I am sure in time she will take it down. If that is all you have to biatch about in your life then I suggest you put your time to some better use.

Too Hot 4u

Sharon said:
Build a cross, add teddy bears, balloons, flowers, etc....let it sit in the sun, rain, snow, etc. until the balloons deflate, the flowers fade, the ribbons discolor, the teddys die of old age....

But don't you dare throw a ciggy butt out the window or the litter nazi's will get ya. :lmao:

how does throwing a ciggy out the window compare to a lost life?

Too Hot 4u

MMDad said:
Dumbazz. There is a "reply with quote" option. Use it. It is your friend.

:killingme

Oh let me address this two fine comments left for me unsigned again. Losers.

dside memorials - a ... 09-14-2006 09:19 AM You don't get it dumazz

Oh I get it fine. You are a effing fool. If you felt so strongly about it then you would have signed it.

And to:
Roadside memorials - a ... 09-14-2006 08:20 AM you're an effing ugly idiot biatch. there is no comparison--if it's your life lost, the ciggy is WAY more important.

The best you can do cut on my looks? Wow what a great debate....loser If you are trying to make a point then make one. I hope you smoke as many ciggs as possiable and you die from a coughing fit on the road so I can erect a marker for you.

Last edited: