roof cleaning

Chlorine bleach dries out shingles:smack:

If you put it on straight and let it sit then you can have problems...

Like I said, 25% Bleach - 75% water, spray it on and let it soak for about 15 minutes and rinse it off with a garden hose you will be fine... I have been doing this for almost 15 years without a problem. :yay:

I bought some stuff that cost 35 bucks a gallond and wasnt worth a damn.
I like clevalleys plan I would be cautious about using a pressure sprayer as it might wash off the grit on your shingles if too much pressure is used.

I found that soap and bleach did a better job than the commercial stuff ,but you have to get it on evenly, I try to clean mine just before a rain. I use Greased Lightning on the Vinyl siding , it removes just about everything, even spider crap. ,but dont get it on aluminum soffix or it will take off the paint. I put this stuff on with a Garden sprayer.

Don't use a pressure washer on the shingles... it will blow excess gravel off. You want to kill the mold not blast it away.

I do use the pressure washer on concrete and REALLY stubborn stains on siding, but that is far and few between...

Last go-around on cleaning the siding I did use my pressure washer, but that was just to rinse with less water (on the siding) and to reach really high places as I did not want to mess with the ladder (I was lazy)...

Bleach, Water and a Cap of Liquid Detergent is what I use - has worked for me!

I try to time before a rainstorm myself...

7dgirl

i have been doing some reading. bleach does not kill the mold. you only bleach the color of the mold. and the mold will come back in a year or two and it will come back even worst the before. the treatments that i have been reading about and going to have done at my house will kill the mold and stop it from coming back. and every year do a treament of to aplly to my roof. that will stop it from every coming back. and just cause you get a new roof does not mean you will not get the mold and black streaks again. the roof company have not been able to prove that the mold will not come back to a new roof.

i have been doing some reading. bleach does not kill the mold. you only bleach the color of the mold. and the mold will come back in a year or two and it will come back even worst the before. the treatments that i have been reading about and going to have done at my house will kill the mold and stop it from coming back. and every year do a treament of to aplly to my roof. that will stop it from every coming back. and just cause you get a new roof does not mean you will not get the mold and black streaks again. the roof company have not been able to prove that the mold will not come back to a new roof.

:yay: Okie-Dokie then! Let us know how it turns out after they do it and again in a couple of years.

Like I said and others, we do clean our siding and roofs about once every 2 years... the cost of the bleach, water and time is minimal IMO.

I do beg to differ that bleach really does kill the mold , but it does not prevent it from coming back because lack of sunlight exposure and/or excessive moisture in one area...

Last edited:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
do you do this. or do you know the guy who does this. or where did you find this info.

Because Clevalley is a "GOD"! :lmao:

Really, he is very good guy and know what he is doing. All of the advices he gave me in past works out very well. :yay:

Try his suggestions and see how it works.

roofcleaningtam

Do It Yourself Roof Cleaning

Chlorine bleach dries out shingles:smack:
This is absolutely incorrect.
The Asphalt Shingle Manufacturers Association and Owens Corning actually recommend Bleach and TSP to clean with.
We are a shingle and tile roof cleaning company in Tampa
We also teach roof cleaning.
In 15 years of cleaning from 3 to 6 roofs a day, we have never damaged a shingle or tile roof using bleach.
Here is the easy, DIT way to clean your roof.
Go to Wal Mart, and get the liquid sodium hypochlorite.
It is 10.5 percent strength, and sold for swimming pool use.
A 30 to 35 percent solution of this to water in a pump sprayer is all ya need.
Added TSP makes a nicer looking roof.
Do NOT use dish soap in a pump sprayer.
The Ethanol in dish soap gives off Gas when mixed with chlorine, and this can cause an explosion.
If you would LIKE to read about a roof cleaning explosion, go to my web sites home page.
The link is there.
After you get done cleaning the black streaks, rinse the sprayer out, and add 1 cup borax, then re fill with water.
Spray the roof with the borax/water mix.
Rinse all plants off, and keep wet at all times while spraying.
Let the Borax sit on the roof until the rain rinses it.
The Borax will keep the roof clean.
Any questions ?
:worthless

Attachments

• Tampa Roof Cleaning 001.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 001.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 005.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 005.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 010.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 010.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 013.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 013.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 97
  • roof cleaning 001.jpg
    roof cleaning 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 90

roofcleaningtam

Roof cleaning removes roof mold

The black algae that is feeding on the limestone filler in the shingles. There are 2 formulas of roof cleaner that work great. Roof OX and ROOF QSE. The QSE (Quick Simple Effective) is the stronger of the two, and is meant for extreme home owners, or contractors. Both are safe, and do not contain chlorine bleach ( which dries out shingles).

.Roof cleaning uses the best roof cleaner & roof shingle armor. Your Roof, Cleaner Forever!

WE are a Professional Roof Cleaning Company In Tampa Florida.
The Cleaner Today Roof Cleaning Products are great products to clean your own roof with.

roofcleaningtam

Roof Cleaning Training

We do roof cleaning training at the RCIA.
Cleaner Today makes some really good roof treatments that work to KEEP roof mold and roof algae OFF the broof.
Some of our roof cleaners use them commercially.
Roof Algae is an airborne spore.
When it lands on a damp area of the roof, it sticks and grows, unless a treatment is applied to prevent it.
Cleaner Today makes a tested and proven roof treatment solution.
A DIY homeowner can easily apply it, and KEEP their roof free of black streaks.

willie

We do roof cleaning training at the RCIA.
Cleaner Today makes some really good roof treatments that work to KEEP roof mold and roof algae OFF the broof.
Some of our roof cleaners use them commercially.
Roof Algae is an airborne spore.
When it lands on a damp area of the roof, it sticks and grows,
unless a treatment is applied to prevent it.
Cleaner Today makes a tested and proven roof treatment solution.
A DIY homeowner can easily apply it, and KEEP their roof free of black streaks.
I've heard it was caused by something in the shingles manufactured since the late '80's. What's the story on that? I've tried the $60 a gallon stuff with minimal results.

roofcleaningtam

You know what they SAY Willie, "please dont feed the animals" ?
Same goes with the Roof Algae.
There are also some theorys that state the Algae in the USA hybridized with the Algae from South Asia after the Vietnam War ?
Just like an Africanized Honey Bee, this new "hybrid" Roof Algae is spreading.
Originally, I am from Detroit.
I am 54 years old.
I do NOT remember these black streaks on ANY roof in Michigan when I was a kid.
And, I have been both a CB Radio operator, and later a Ham Radio Operator, so I have been on many roofs when I was younger, erecting antennas.
It is my opinion that this Roof Algae is a new hybrid species, able to withstand the winters.

There are also some theorys that state the Algae in the USA hybridized with the Algae from South Asia after the Vietnam War ?
I am 54 years old.
And, I have been both a CB Radio operator, and later a Ham Radio Operator, so I have been on many roofs when I was younger, erecting antennas.
It is my opinion that this Roof Algae is a new hybrid species, able to withstand the winters.
It feeds on the limestone filler now being used in your roof shingles.
In years past, this plant simply didn't have a food source.
Therefore, roof cleaning was seldom necessary.
This all changed with the introduction of fiberglass roofing shingles during the past 20 years

Maybe this is why?

gutterdogs

I am 54 years old.

Thanks for comming in here! There are so many crazy thoughts out there and its so simple!