Roof repair

Warron

Anyone have a recommendation for a business that can inspect my roof to find a leak and repair it. I have had a small leak for a bit over my sun porch that the last hard rain opened up. Help finding someone who can repair the inside ceiling would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Rael

Supper's Ready
Anyone have a recommendation for a business that can inspect my roof to find a leak and repair it. I have had a small leak for a bit over my sun porch that the last hard rain opened up. Help finding someone who can repair the inside ceiling would be helpful as well.

Thanks

We have a sun room that had a leak for a while as well (a low pitched roof). I'm guessing your sun porch is low pitched, also (they call them a flat roof, even if it's sloped slightly). With ours, I first tried using roof cement to patch specific areas, but I soon learned I needed to replace the whole roof (and some of the sheathing beneath the shingles on the low sloped section). You can fight it one area at a time, or recognize that roof shingles only last so long (especially on the flatter sections). I just decided a roof is too important to guess too much with.

I hired Snell & Sons (as others have on here, also), and they did the job right. :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion
I spent most of last week on my roof chasing a leak during the heavy rain.
at first, it was coming in around the skylight, so I went up and reflashed and sealed the skylight.
leak fixed.
But then, whatever I did caused another leak down the roof and over from the skylight, so basically I chased the water from point A to point B.
So back up on the roof, sealed anything that even close to resembled somewhere water could be coming in. kept leaking.
Finally found the entrance point at a damaged ridge cap, fixed it and the leak stopped.
Water will come in at one point on the roof, run under the shingles then find a way to the interior a good ways from where the leak actually seems to be.

and, my roof is only three years old with 50 year architectural shingles.

Roof leaks suck.

Roof leaks suck.

Sure do. I had a leak down the side of the chimney a few storms ago, got my ceiling wet in the family room. 2 days before the last monsoon, I got up there to fix it. So glad I did. The old caulk was cracked, peeling, gaping holes, even found a hole thru the brick. Took the time to chip all the old crap out and re-seal everything. 4 tubes later and it held fine thru the monsoon.

bcp

In My Opinion
Sure do. I had a leak down the side of the chimney a few storms ago, got my ceiling wet in the family room. 2 days before the last monsoon, I got up there to fix it. So glad I did. The old caulk was cracked, peeling, gaping holes, even found a hole thru the brick. Took the time to chip all the old crap out and re-seal everything. 4 tubes later and it held fine thru the monsoon.

If its nice this weekend Im going up and parging the chimney top to bottom.
My house is getting close to 100 years old and the point-up of the mortor joints would be a forever task.
and the way they built my roof/chimney, the chimney is not along the side of the house, it is in the front were the water runs right down the roof and hits the chimney straight on. ( I figure it must never have rained back in the day when it was built).

So far its not leaking, but it will be soon, so reflash and parge with a wet brush finish to it.

softtouch

[/ATTACH]
If its nice this weekend Im going up and parging the chimney top to bottom.
My house is getting close to 100 years old and the point-up of the mortor joints would be a forever task.
and the way they built my roof/chimney, the chimney is not along the side of the house, it is in the front were the water runs right down the roof and hits the chimney straight on. ( I figure it must never have rained back in the day when it was built).

So far its not leaking, but it will be soon, so reflash and parge with a wet brush finish to it.
You need Chimney Cricket.

Attachments

• Chimney cricket.bmp
    15.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Justme2

Yup

We have a sun room that had a leak for a while as well (a low pitched roof). I'm guessing your sun porch is low pitched, also (they call them a flat roof, even if it's sloped slightly). With ours, I first tried using roof cement to patch specific areas, but I soon learned I needed to replace the whole roof (and some of the sheathing beneath the shingles on the low sloped section). You can fight it one area at a time, or recognize that roof shingles only last so long (especially on the flatter sections). I just decided a roof is too important to guess too much with.

I hired Snell & Sons (as others have on here, also), and they did the job right. :yay:

I agree if it's been leaking any amount of time it's going to need more than a repair and if the has not been done in a while. Well it's about time if you don't have time nor money I would tarp it till you do. But keep in mind that is a repair till you get money or time. If you get some one to patch to it you will wish you did it right in the first place. It will not last for ever and wood beneath the shingles is more than likely weak.And ever one with roof issues including me reacts about the same :cds:

:yeahthat:

bcp

In My Opinion
[/ATTACH]
You need Chimney Cricket.

Yes, I shall build a chimney cricket. Thanks.

and, I will also parge instead of spending the time with re pointing all of the mortar joints again. (did this 15 years ago, no fun) then once the parging sets I will think about painting it with a colored rubber roof paint to complete the seal.
If it leaks after that I will just buy some floaties and a rubber duck and convert the living room into a swimming pool.

qbee

Thanks

Tried calling Snell & Son as well per the forums request, wont come out for a minor repair without a $350 estimate charge unless you want to replace the whole roof... Good luck, we havent found anyone to repair ours yet.

pilot

I've used a company (Lincoln Contractors or Lincoln Construction--definitely had the name Lincoln in it) for multiple small repairs. I think they're listed in the yellow pages under "Roofers".

yankee44

Depending on where you live I can help.

Work for the Government now but owned a Home improvement company for a while. Also worked for Snell and Son's roofing division as supervisor.

Warron

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got up on my roof this last weekend and it looks like some flashing is coming off. I nailed it back down and sealed it but that and a few other issues suggest that I will need to get the roof redone soon. At least over the garage.

I also notice that the brick on my chimney seems to be fairly brittle with allot of small pieces falling off. So I need to find a way to deal with that as well.

So much fun for my bank account.

Justme2

Roof issues suck

YUP Warron I am sorry you are going thru what I went thru a couple of years ago. I was frustrated with what to do. Well I eventually did a small home equity loan for the roof repair and paid a roofing company to keep me dry and even through I have a monthly payment I was able to keep a cushion and still make a 130.00 month payment. Because when they ripped the old roof off and since I was having trouble with it leaking in a couple of spots they just sheath the whole roof again and then rubber roof the flat part Total it was about 5,800.00 for a six room house. But my mind is now at ease.

Hope things work out for you :buddies:

lilredhearts

Thanks

roofing by george. 301-884-7360:yay: