Running/Walking Shoes

nightowl

Hi woman!!!

I have asics gel 2130's, a trainer recommended them at the gym and they are wonderful. I would definitely pick a running shoe not a walking one. Not sure why they even call walking shoes walking because they always hurt my feet too lol. I use to have an older pair of asics gels but these new ones are a step above the old ones for sure. Way to go on all that walking.

Miss Ya

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I have asics gel 2130's, a trainer recommended them at the gym and they are wonderful. I would definitely pick a running shoe not a walking one. Not sure why they even call walking shoes walking because they always hurt my feet too lol. I use to have an older pair of asics gels but these new ones are a step above the old ones for sure. Way to go on all that walking.

Miss Ya

See I just bought a new pair of shoes a month ago... they are walking shoes.. bought with the intention of wearing them to WALK. Went back to the place I got them and told the guy they sucked for walking.

Well I guess I am stupid because he said walking shoes are not meant for that kind of walking.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've always had good luck with Adidas (Response Trail) when I used to run. They're good for walking too. I also have some HiTec and Merrell athletic shoes.

A lot depends on your feet. I can't wear Reebok's because they're too narrow in the toe box. Ryka's are made for women's feet but I never found them comfy.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
New Balance is the only shoe I will buy for working out in and any type of cardio I do. I hate Nike and reebok is a waste of money.

I will buy Nike to wear as a casual shoe though. If I know I'm going to be in them all day I won't wear them. The arch is to darn high for my flat foot.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I have been doing alot of walking everyday. My feet hurt. The "walking" shoes I recently bought are actually not meant for the activity I have been doing.

So I am looking for suggestions for Running/Walking shoes. My heels are hurting :bawl:

I have been looking at the Asics Gels.. Anything better out there?

ASICS are the best! I've been wearing them for five years now and my feet hurt in anything else!
NIKES are a waste of money, New Balance are good if you want a mid quality shoe - they are my second choice.

T

toppick08

ASICS are the best! I've been wearing them for five years now and my feet hurt in anything else!
NIKES are a waste of money, New Balance are good if you want a mid quality shoe - they are my second choice.

:duel:

Fitness4Life

Dear Lusby Mom:

Most of the information that you have received on the forum is incorrect. This process can lead to a lot of misinformation being distributed or communicated. Here's what a knowledgeable professional would tell you:

1. Let the sales person know what you intend to do with the shoes (i.e. walking for exercise, running, cross-training, etc). It appears that you didn't initially communicate this information.

2."Walking" shoes are nothing more than sport casual shoes which are athletic based, and generally utilized for everyday casual walking. There is a fundamental difference between walking for exercise and walking to conduct everyday errands. It is also very important "where" (terrain) and "how" (pronation) you walk. Your intentions should be clearly communicated to the person in the store.

3. Most mid-level styles from any of the top brands (Asics, Brooks, Nike, New Balance, etc.) offer great cushioning and pronation support for running and "walking/fitness for exercise".

4. Always consider fit and comfort first before thinking about fashion. Most people inappropriately select a shoe that they can wear as an everyday fashion shoe, instead of purchasing shoes strictly for some form of exercise.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Dear Lusby Mom:

Most of the information that you have received on the forum is incorrect. This process can lead to a lot of misinformation being distributed or communicated. Here's what a knowledgeable professional would tell you:

1. Let the sales person know what you intend to do with the shoes (i.e. walking for exercise, running, cross-training, etc). It appears that you didn't initially communicate this information.

2."Walking" shoes are nothing more than sport casual shoes which are athletic based, and generally utilized for everyday casual walking. There is a fundamental difference between walking for exercise and walking to conduct everyday errands. It is also very important "where" (terrain) and "how" (pronation) you walk. Your intentions should be clearly communicated to the person in the store.

3. Most mid-level styles from any of the top brands (Asics, Brooks, Nike, New Balance, etc.) offer great cushioning and pronation support for running and "walking/fitness for exercise".

4. Always consider fit and comfort first before thinking about fashion. Most people inappropriately select a shoe that they can wear as an everyday fashion shoe, instead of purchasing shoes strictly for some form of exercise.

Unfortunately, the sales person always tell me to go to little girls' department when I asked for size 5 running shoes. Little girls shoes do not have cushion or support I needed.

ziggy74

I have been doing alot of walking everyday. My feet hurt. The "walking" shoes I recently bought are actually not meant for the activity I have been doing.

So I am looking for suggestions for Running/Walking shoes. My heels are hurting :bawl:

I have been looking at the Asics Gels.. Anything better out there?

I just started running recently and was recommended by a personal trainer to go to a specialty running store to have them analyze my walk/feet and what not...they then recommended which running shoes might work best. Maybe that's something you can look into doing.

Fitness4Life

You are absolutely right, Ziggy! Most running shops suggest the best shoe for running or walking based on a thorough foot construction analysis (width, length, pronation). A specialty run shop is located in Lusby Commons Center (Olympian Sports). They have developed a good reputation during their 8 month existence. I would suggest checking them out.

Most stores don't carry women's running shoes in size 5 for a number of reasons. See if the store is willing to special order.

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
Dear Lusby Mom:

I believe she asked for suggestions and personal opinions for shoes and that is what has been responded to. To say it is "incorrect" is kind of uncalled for since everyone has had different experiences with shoes, but then again I guess we are all not as qualified as the "shoe professionals" . . . :coffee:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
You are absolutely right, Ziggy! Most running shops suggest the best shoe for running or walking based on a thorough foot construction analysis (width, length, pronation). A specialty run shop is located in Lusby Commons Center (Olympian Sports). They have developed a good reputation during their 8 month existence. I would suggest checking them out.

Most stores don't carry women's running shoes in size 5 for a number of reasons. See if the store is willing to special order.

The "walking" shoes that I purchased were from Olympian Sports and I did tell the guy that I wanted a walking shoe because I was working and walking 5 miles a day. I asked him if the shoes were what I needed and he said yes and that's what I bought and they suck. When I went back to say they sucked he said "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh you meant walking like exercise" :duh:

C

CalvertNewbie

The "walking" shoes that I purchased were from Olympian Sports and I did tell the guy that I wanted a walking shoe because I was working and walking 5 miles a day. I asked him if the shoes were what I needed and he said yes and that's what I bought and they suck. When I went back to say they sucked he said "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh you meant walking like exercise" :duh:

I guess when you told him you were walking 5 MILES A DAY, you weren't clear enough that you intended to use them for exercise. :lol: 5 miles a day is pretty darn impressive, btw. :yay:

Fitness4Life

Dear Lusby Mom:

This communication in the forum is very unfortunate. It has turned sour, childish, and is not worth further correspondance after this reply. The information provided to you and others was an attempt to better inform you about the expections concerning your footwear choices. Additionally, the information provided to you was not much different than a response from 1-2 other respondents to your question(s). Fitness4life was just elaborating and confirming some previously provided good information.

Here's what can be said honestly about your experience having firsthand knowledge. Your description of what happened at the store on both occasions is completely false.

Take Care