Saddle for high withered horse

Eventer29

I have a new mare that I need to find a saddle for. My current close contact saddle that fits almost anything does not fit her. She has high narrow withers but wider shoulders/body. She has a def hollow behind her withers. Not sway backed, I think just unmuscled from sitting around. I know that her back will change as she gets back into shape so dont want to spend a whole lot on the saddle. I have found that with horses built like this a saddle with more rounded flocking vs flat panels works best, but having trouble finding anything close contact for jumping that does not have the flat panels. I have seen plenty all purpose that look like they might fit but I def want something close contact or at least more ballanced for jumping and w a forward flap/knee roll. I am currently riding her in an old all purpose wintec that fits her perfectly but is a tiny bit small for me and does not put me in the best position for jumping.
Any affordable ideas?

Fordfilly

It would be a good idea to mention your seat size that your looking for.

If your on Facebooks, try Southern Maryland Tack Swap since folks are always posting saddles for sale there. Good Luck.

Eventer29

Mostly looking for recommendations on diff brands/models. But if anyone has a 17.5-18" that they think might fit and are selling let me know. I have been checking the FB pages. Mainly just not sure what exactly to look for. Most of the close contact jumping saddles the pannels are too flat. I want to check Ebay for something that might work but without specific saddle names it is very hard to narrow down a search.

ebs

Mostly looking for recommendations on diff brands/models. But if anyone has a 17.5-18" that they think might fit and are selling let me know. I have been checking the FB pages. Mainly just not sure what exactly to look for. Most of the close contact jumping saddles the pannels are too flat. I want to check Ebay for something that might work but without specific saddle names it is very hard to narrow down a search.
I have a 17.5" Collegiate Alumni I would sell - it has a changeable gullet system just like the Wintecs. Close contact and wool-flocked. I bought it thinking that with the changeable gullet and flocking, it would fit any horse I ended up with, but it won't even come close to fitting my round QH. I have a couple of extra gullets you could try.

Fordfilly

I have a Crosby (all purpose) that is a cut-back style that is great for high withers and it was tried on a TB that was on the thin side and it would have worked great after she gained some weight but in the meantime you would have to use build-up pads to fill in the low points until she gains weight/muscle.

So, just look for a cut-back style to clear the withers is my suggestion.

I actually had to get a saddle fitting for my new draft-x and he even surprised the saddle fitter by needing an extra wide saddle at the age of 3 1/2

Eventer29

I have a 17.5" Collegiate Alumni I would sell - it has a changeable gullet system just like the Wintecs. Close contact and wool-flocked. I bought it thinking that with the changeable gullet and flocking, it would fit any horse I ended up with, but it won't even come close to fitting my round QH. I have a couple of extra gullets you could try.

What are you asking for it? and where are you located?

devinej

Oh those skinny TBs.
I would also get a pad that you can put shims in such as the thin line pad, pro-lite pad, or the fleece ones that you can put the wool shims in. then you can adjust the shims to what she needs with the saddle you get. they are neat cause you can put front (wither) shims in or back shims. or both. so helpful with many horses I've ridden.

Eventer29

I have one of those pads w slots for shims on my christmas wishlist. until then I have other pads that I can use. What saddles do you use on the higher withered tbs that you have ridden devine?

ebs

What are you asking for it? and where are you located?
I am in California MD. Would like to get $500 for it, it retails for about $1100. I barely rode in it, maybe 6-8 times, and devine used it over the summer for a bit for one of her training horses. It is in excellent condition. Could even throw in matching leathers and I have a couple of different gullets you could choose from (though I don't think I have any of the narrow ones, since I had the opposite problem than you do)

devinej

right now i have a black country jumping saddle. its pretty cool, wool flocked, has wither gussets, so extra room for the wool up around the withers.
I've used a beval natural for several years before that, padded up because its a medium tree, foam panel.
but if you are looking for something in the 500 to 800 range, i would go try out the collegiate. ebs's collegiate is not bad, but if you are looking for something with forward flaps, you might want to check some others out too, see what you like. her saddle has pretty straight flaps for a jumping saddle. i didn't try it on any narrow horses, just on a very very wide arab cross. but with the narrow gullet, it may work for you, and its a bit adjustable further because it has wool flocking.

devinej

the best ever saddle for a high withered horse is the frank baines reflex. but they are expensive and hard to find used. my friend got a stubben xc saddle recently that is super on her ottb. sometimes you can find nice used stubbens, counties, or even albion jumping saddles that have a narrow tree for a good deal though.

Last edited: