safeway vs. giant

ohkymd

I'm new to the area and am just wondering which store people like better. If you have a preference is it because they have bettter prices, better customer service, etc. I usually only like to shop at one store and am not a fan of the all day excursion to several different stores to make sure I get all of the deals.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I'm new to the area and am just wondering which store people like better. If you have a preference is it because they have bettter prices, better customer service, etc. I usually only like to shop at one store and am not a fan of the all day excursion to several different stores to make sure I get all of the deals.

I stopped going to Safeway because they got way too expensive. Giant isn't cheap, but still not as bad as Safeway and has better deals when you use your Giant card IMO. I do the bulk of my shopping at Food Lion but go to Giant for certain things I can't get at FL.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I stopped going to Safeway because they got way too expensive. Giant isn't cheap, but still not as bad as Safeway and has better deals when you use your Giant card IMO. I do the bulk of my shopping at Food Lion but go to Giant for certain things I can't get at FL.

Just the opposite for me, I find safeway has better deals. Atleast in PF.

O and FL = blah

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
Safeway!!!

Higher prices keep out the riff-raff that tend to show up at the 1st of the month :killingme

jsouthan

I prefer Giant because I like the store better, BUT I go to Safeway most of the time because they seem to have the things I need at better sale prices.

TGB

I like Giant. It is a expensive but not as expensive as Safeway. I like to stock up when Giant has the 10 for 10 special/sale.

S

shagger

Higher prices keep out the riff-raff that tend to show up at the 1st of the month :killingme

........:yeahthat: I don't go to FL because of what you are speaking of, unless I'm looking to hire someone to clean my bathrooms.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Safeway seems less than Giant. I stopped shopping at Giant for most stuff after the Dutch company took over and the stores "changed".

Rael

Supper's Ready
Mostly Giant, but starting to go to Shoppers Food Warehouse more often. They seem to carry a lot of the items the other two don't (especially international cooking stuff).

Plus, as soon as you walk into the Safeway near me, you reach a congestion point, where somebody always decides to stop their gigantic cart to look at what's on display. I really don't like that. :ohwell:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Shoppers Food Warehouse IMO has the best deals but I prefer Giant or McKays when it comes to fresh fish! Your best bet really is to shop around...

pelers

I go to different grocery stores for different things. Generally I go to Giant (in Lex Park) because it's clean and well stocked. My second choice is usually Shoppers because they have a good selection of oddball stuff (like the international stuff, pepperoni sticks, cheap spices, etc). If I need something middle of the night I go to Walmart. Meat I buy at BJs.

ohkymd

I've gone to the safeway and giant in dunkirk now and I think I like the giant better. Safeway seemed to be a smaller store and there were certain items I couldn't find. My wife and I spent ten minutes after we were done shopping looking for crystal light drink mix or even kool-aid. I just thought it was kinda strange that they didn't have that.

lovinmaryland

I don't go to either Safeway or Giant. They are too expensive.

McKays.

Really? I actually shop at Safeway, McKays, Food Lion, and Costco. They all have certain sales each week so I hit them all to get that stuff. Regualr staples like pasta, canned goods, cereal,etc... are always cheaper at Food Lion, but I would have to say of the choices McKays is by far the most expensive for normal day to day items. They do however have good sales often.

H

HouseCat

Safeway has a better selection of store brand cereals, like Blueberry crunch. I can't keep that stuff in the house.

Stay away from Food Lion if you can. Went to the one in PF to get my Tapatio hot sauce and they were totally out of eggs, didn't have any turkeys, and in mass chaos. It's like the Kmart of grocery stores.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
I go to different grocery stores for different things. Generally I go to Giant (in Lex Park) because it's clean and well stocked. My second choice is usually Shoppers because they have a good selection of oddball stuff (like the international stuff, pepperoni sticks, cheap spices, etc). If I need something middle of the night I go to Walmart. Meat I buy at BJs.

When did that open and what street is it on?

bcp

In My Opinion
I use Giant or Safeway depending on what Im getting and what they have on sale. Prices and Quality are pretty close to each other by the time you get away from the checkout. Some things higher, others lower, balances out.

For specialty items I go to Trader Joes in Annapolis.

I NEVER buy any perishables at Food Lion. actually, I cant remember the last time I walked into a Food Lion.

JoeR

I think both are good for different things. What I like best about Giant is the gas discount program. You accumulate a point for every dollar and can let it build up for more off per gallon. Safeway only gives .10 off per gallon on single shopping purchases of $50.00.

bcp

In My Opinion
I think both are good for different things. What I like best about Giant is the gas discount program. You accumulate a point for every dollar and can let it build up for more off per gallon. Safeway only gives .10 off per gallon on single shopping purchases of $50.00.

but with Giant you have to accumilate 100.00 worth of purchases before you get your 10 cent off.. up to 35 gallons.

but I use my 10 cent off on Mondays at the shell that has 10 cent off diesel on Monday giving me a 20 cent off total.

Safeway does have diesel so I feel ripped off over the whole thing.