Sake

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Is a veggie spring roll like an egg roll? Do they fry it?

Yes and no. Yes, but it can be steamed.

Around here, a lot of places will serve you a darn egg roll, even if you order a spring roll. A true spring roll is more like a cigar shape.

An egg roll has a thicker wrapper, while a spring roll wrapper is much thinner.

An egg roll is usually dominated by cabbage stuffed with some other veggies and spices and then deep fried. A spring roll will sometimes contain noodles and veggies that have been pre-cooked before being fried or steamed.

I've made them before and though tasty they looked like...UFOs. And it was a lot of work for a novice.

Vrai makes a beautiful transclucent spring roll, and I don't think it was fried nor steamed. Hmm, I need to ask what she did.

Attachments

• thCA1M3MLM.jpg
    thCA1M3MLM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 55
  • VietnamSpringRoll21.jpg
    VietnamSpringRoll21.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

kk2187

I went there and was not impressed (even using a restaurant.com coupon) I was okay...full price would not have been okay.

Eat away!

Bento boxes (IMO) are the best deal out there.

Come visit me and we can walk to a Japanese restaurant you would not believe. Bento boxes, sashimi, sushi and tempura. OMG. :drool: Plenty of healthy and veggy choices.

Okada was my favorite in SOMD but I never had the chance to try Sake. I'm glad you liked it.

Can I ask which one you're talking about?

Toxick

Splat
I like the commercial where the guy buys sushi at a gas-station.

Then later he's on the phone, and it sounds like someone's plunging a sink in his belly.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai makes a beautiful transclucent spring roll, and I don't think it was fried nor steamed. Hmm, I need to ask what she did.

Get the rice paper wrappers and you soak them in hot water until they're soft, lay them out on your cutting board, fill and wrap. So easy and everybody loves them. :yay:

Around here, a lot of places will serve you a darn egg roll, even if you order a spring roll. A true spring roll is more like a cigar shape.

An egg roll is usually dominated by cabbage stuffed with some other veggies and spices and then deep fried. A spring roll will sometimes contain noodles and veggies that have been pre-cooked before being fried or steamed.

I've made them before and though tasty they looked like...UFOs. And it was a lot of work for a novice.

The Thai place that went out of business in San Souci had those, served with peanut sauce. Mint leaf wrapped up in the roll. But they called it a summer roll. Thai Inter was selling them on the weekends only.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The Thai place that went out of business in San Souci had those, served with peanut sauce. Mint leaf wrapped up in the roll. But they called it a summer roll. Thai Inter was selling them on the weekends only.

Thanks GW. I love some Thai Inter. I'll look for "summer rolls" in the future.

I love Asian food in general. I think I was born into the wrong culture. :lol:

JeJeTe

Happiness

All this talk of eggs rolls have made me hungry. :mad:

MarieB

Ick! I hate those things. Do you put mint in yours?

You can put anything in there that you like. We make ours with cucumber, lettuce, and bulgogi beef. That is more vietnamese style. Dipping sauce soy and white vinegar with some sirachi

Note: rice paper is better than tapioca paper, but you can use either

drivingdaisy

Now I will need to get Sushi soon. It's been like a year. There is a place near me that is sooooo yummy. But it has ruined me. I almost never want to eat sushi anywhere but there. But it is BYOB so :bann::bann:

pelers

A bit late to the party, but Sake is pretty solid. Lots of food for a decent price (we usually do take-out so it stretches for a couple meals). The food isn't AMAZING, but it's good.

Well, the crab rangoon is amazing. But I'm pretty easy to please.