School Question

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yep, but I will also tell you that when they first implemented HAC teachers did not update it all that often. Some teachers were very good at posting homework assignments, others didn't do it that often and then their were a few who simply didn't do it, they put the responsibility on the child.
Hopefully there is now uniformity in reporting.
I also don't recall seeing attendance

I remember when the HAC was first rolled out also and you're right it took a long time for some teachers to get on board with it. There are still some who drag their feet when it comes to updating assignments and grades but the attandence is almost realtime. I think that's become a daily requirement. I think they have to record attendence each class period before that period is over.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I remember when the HAC was first rolled out also and you're right it took a long time for some teachers to get on board with it. There are still some who drag their feet when it comes to updating assignments and grades but the attandence is almost realtime. I think that's become a daily requirement. I think they have to record attendence each class period before that period is over.

oh and I can understand why they were not on top of it - there were probably plenty of issues accessing the system, firewall, access to computer, etc.
Typical, the system was under resourced and the teachers not trained. Don't we see that problem almost every day, be it at our place of employment or in say the doctor's office.

intertidal

oh and I can understand why they were not on top of it - there were probably plenty of issues accessing the system, firewall, access to computer, etc.
Typical, the system was under resourced and the teachers not trained. Don't we see that problem almost every day, be it at our place of employment or in say the doctor's office.

I have heard that teachers have lost their classroom computers and last year's teacher computers have been reassigned to some students. Teachers can bring in a personal computer from home and hope it is not stolen, or do the updates from home.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I think parents should be allowed to have access to the GPS location of their children's cell phone.
Hey, why fight the cell phone battle, use it to your advantage and track their movement :)

That's between you and the provider, I believe. The younger son's phone is on my account and I believe the free app the provider put on the phone allows me to track all the phones on my account. Only trouble with that is GPS is not turned on for any of the phonse since it drains the batteries faster than an EBT card on the second of the month.

teacherhm

I have heard that teachers have lost their classroom computers and last year's teacher computers have been reassigned to some students. Teachers can bring in a personal computer from home and hope it is not stolen, or do the updates from home.

Just out of curiosity... are you referring to Calvert or St. Mary's Public Schools? I teach in SMCPS and we have laptops issued to us as well as laptops in our classrooms for student use... just wanted to clear up any confusion. :)

intertidal

Just out of curiosity... are you referring to Calvert or St. Mary's Public Schools? I teach in SMCPS and we have laptops issued to us as well as laptops in our classrooms for student use... just wanted to clear up any confusion. :)

My wife teaches in St. Mary's and she and her fellow teachers lost their laptops. Don't know if that is the rule or the exception to the rule.

intertidal

I'm in technology for SMCPS and haven't heard about any teachers losing laptops. On the high school level each teacher has an HP laptop and also a classroom laptop that is used for the SMART board. There are more academy students (STEM, GIS etc..) than last year so some teachers that previously had use of an iPad may need to give theirs up for student use.

Have you checked every school for uniformity? My wife still has the smartboard laptop - but, unlike last year, that is it. No other laptop or iPad. And it applies to every teacher at her school this school year. Its nice to know that policies vary from one school to another and parents should not make assumptions when they complain about the promptness of homework postings - because such assumptions can be incorrect.

I talked her out of buying another laptop just for school and instead helped to repair an old laptop at home (battery and power jack cheap on ebay) so if it disappears, it won't be as big a loss as a new laptop. Unlike her situation, my employer provides the equipment I need to do the job they ask.

Last edited: