Something to write with
Something to write on
Dressed
Fed
Cell phones off
Respect teachers
Don't cause trouble
Ready to learn
Ignore idiots because kids in school to learn will be the future bosses of the idiots! :coffee:

Mama_Mia08

Ignore idiots because kids in school to learn will be the future bosses of the idiots! :coffee:

We can only hope that the good students are the bosses. I have to wonder about some of the bosses I've had in the past though :smile:

I am all for helping a teacher if they need something specific. I know that teachers spend their own money for supplies a lot. However, if I buy my kid 3 packs of crayons, 5 dozen pencils, etc. there is no reason why that shouldn't last her the whole year or at least most the year anyway. I'm just going to start sending her with what she needs and she can tell me when she is running low.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
We can only hope that the good students are the bosses. I have to wonder about some of the bosses I've had in the past though :smile:

I am all for helping a teacher if they need something specific. I know that teachers spend their own money for supplies a lot. However, if I buy my kid 3 packs of crayons, 5 dozen pencils, etc. there is no reason why that shouldn't last her the whole year or at least most the year anyway. I'm just going to start sending her with what she needs and she can tell me when she is running low.

I didn't say the good students, I said the educated students, but I do feel a boss does not have to be a butthead nor be out of control to be in control! :buddies:

I don't bulk up on school supplies list items either, I get them on an as needed basis since my daughter tends to take care of her things better when she has two pencils verse a box. I also don't follow the before school starts must fill the list craze. She's heading to 10th grade now and is doing great as a returning Honor Roll student!

Last edited:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
You're lucky you got the supplies back. Both schools my daughter attended did not send back her unused supplies. She did have some left because I bought stuff the last month of school. I wasn't aware until recently that most teachers dump all supplies together anyway. It irritates me that we essentially buy supplies for other kids. Then they have the nerve to send a note home asking for more crayons, pencils, etc. I am glad that PES sent home the supply kit order forms last school year. It is so nice to have everything there for p/u next week and we don't have to go on the great hunt. Comp books and the pocket folders were so hard to find the last couple years. I found the comp books at CVS finally.

We found a nice Jansport backpack on clearance at Sports Authority last month. The lunch bag and thermos I order from Amazon.

I wrote my son's name on all of his school supplies. All of his school supplies came back home at the end of the year except for Ziplock baggies and tissues that didn't come back, but that's okay. I'm able to re-use the supplies again for this year. All new supplies I bought for this year, I wrote my son's name on it too. I think that's what helps teachers to send the supplies back home with the child.

They do a "community sharing" type thing w/ the supplies in K. This year I wrote my kids' name on some of their supplies.

I am all for helping out the classroom and teacher when they ask.

Last year oldest son's teacher sent home a note w/ a small list of items she wanted for a fun project for the kids. I waited until the day before and said I will buy whatever is left so you don't have double of one item and none of another. She informed me that NOTHING had been donated. 20 sets of parents and not one item was brought in. I bought it all and it cost me less than $20.

I wrote my son's name on his school supplies too, so that really help! :howdy:

I saw my son's last year teacher at Target the other day shopping for school supplies for her class. She, too, was spending her own money on school supplies for her classroom. I saw her cart was full of school supplies.

sm8

I was at staples earlier today and they had plenty of composition books and big pencils. I do not remember the price on the pencils but the compositions were .50 each. I was looking for pre sharpened pencils, I know it sounds lazy but between my three kids that are in school they need 350 sharpened pencils. Looks like we will have a fun filled weekend with the electric sharpener.

SugarBear47

I don't have kids in school anymore but my sister in VA is going thru the same thing, as in MD, trying to find these unrealistic lists of school supplies for her 'first grader'. I mean, 48 large pencils, cig. boxes, composition paper, unscented antibacterial wipes, a dozen glue sticks, 4 boxes of crayons etc etc....come on!! And the kicker is that these kids are NOT allowed to put their names on 'anything'. So everything is free-for-all for every student and teachers too. I am so glad I don't have kids in school these days...I'd be butting heads with those rules.

Mama_Mia08

I don't have kids in school anymore but my sister in VA is going thru the same thing, as in MD, trying to find these unrealistic lists of school supplies for her 'first grader'. I mean, 48 large pencils, cig. boxes, composition paper, unscented antibacterial wipes, a dozen glue sticks, 4 boxes of crayons etc etc....come on!! And the kicker is that these kids are NOT allowed to put their names on 'anything'. So everything is free-for-all for every student and teachers too. I am so glad I don't have kids in school these days...I'd be butting heads with those rules.

The kids cannot have anything special to themselves anymore. I remember when I was a kid being so excited to pick out my school supplies. I loved my Lisa Frank stuff. My Nan always got us grandkids pencils with our names on them. It's funny that such a small thing like a cool folder or pencil made me so happy, ha ha. Teachers are afraid now that if one kid has something different then another it will make the other kid sad...no life lesson being learned there.

BJ's had a bunch of stuff recently too. At least if you get supplies there your kids have enough to get them to college:smile:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Found out today the teachers in Calvert can not put tissues, wipes,soap, hand sanitizer, ziploc bags, etc on the school supply list.. it's not allowed. BUT they did have notes up in the classrooms today for meet the teacher asking for donations of those things.

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
I got my daughters backpack at JC Penney's
Reg. price $29.99, on sale for $14.99 had a instant $10.00 off coupon

Final came to $5.29 and when asked to donate $0.71 cents to the charity of choice, I happily obliged..

Can't be a $6 dollar backpack.. Cute too :yahoo:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I got my daughters backpack at JC Penney's
Reg. price $29.99, on sale for $14.99 had a instant $10.00 off coupon

Final came to $5.29 and when asked to donate $0.71 cents to the charity of choice, I happily obliged..

Can't be a $6 dollar backpack.. Cute too :yahoo:

:yahoo: Awesome deal.... wish I got a deal like that.. oldest cost $30 on sale!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you keep giving, they'll keep taking. The only way our schools will ever get back to basics, is if they're forced to.