School Uniforms

Do you think schools should have uniforms?

• YES

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • NO

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

LuckyMe143

With all the bullying going at school do you think uniforms would help cut down on some of it? Most of the bullying o saw when o was in school was because of how people were dressed. Either they were gothlic, slutty, or the kids who were lucky to even have clothes. People say uniforms are too expensive but there not. It's cheaper then having to go out and making sure you have the best $50 pair of jeans etc... To many kids are killing themselves because they are being bullied. I believe this will help some. Nothing else seems to be working. The kids seem to run the schools and not the staff. Well it needs to STOP!

Yes uniform may help with the bullying that goes on that is "how you dress" related i think it would get worse with other areas of bullying such as "weight", "being smart (nerds)", or "where you live" and "how much money your family has", etc. How will you stop all of those? JMHO

LuckyMe143

Yes uniform may help with the bullying that goes on that is "how you dress" related i think it would get worse with other areas of bullying such as "weight", "being smart (nerds)", or "where you live" and "how much money your family has", etc. How will you stop all of those? JMHO

I don't know how to stop that and i agree it could increase bullying in those areas but at the same time it could still help a lot of kids. We have to try something.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Kids are rotten people that need to be smacked when they misbehave.

To bad we've listened to the progressive idiots and no longer allow a teacher to whack your knuckles with a ruler

LuckyMe143

What are ways we can change things? Bullying will never go away but we can try to calm it down. Sitting around doing nothing isn't working. So what will? May be a feild trip to the jail for the bullies? Let them see what their future will look like if they don't stop.

What are ways we can change things? Bullying will never go away but we can try to calm it down. Sitting around doing nothing isn't working. So what will? May be a feild trip to the jail for the bullies? Let them see what their future will look like if they don't stop.

that is already being done there is a show called "scared straight" that comes on TLC i think.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
In almost every instance of bullying that I know of personally, the child that is doing it comes from a home where acting tough or #####y is encouraged. They follow their parents lead.

Case in point just a bit ago learned my daughter's friend was being bullied by a group of boys. I know the boys and their parents. Their parents were exactly the same way in school (although in one of the boy's cases it was the mom who was mean not the dad.)

So teaching our own kids not to bully and belittle begins with us not bullying or belittling anyone - this extends to making derogatory comments about people on the news or television or - can we be honest here? Walmart. Until the grownups behave the kids will not.

What makes it even worse now is you can't leave it at school and be safe at home because the hecklers are blowing up your phone and Facebook and photo-shopping pics etc etc.

royhobie

hobieflyer
With all the bullying going at school do you think uniforms would help cut down on some of it? Most of the bullying o saw when o was in school was because of how people were dressed. Either they were gothlic, slutty, or the kids who were lucky to even have clothes. People say uniforms are too expensive but there not. It's cheaper then having to go out and making sure you have the best $50 pair of jeans etc... To many kids are killing themselves because they are being bullied. I believe this will help some. Nothing else seems to be working. The kids seem to run the schools and not the staff. Well it needs to STOP!

What County are you referring to? Uniforms have been discussed on and off for ages. Here in Maryland, which is OMalley's far left State, it will never happen. I don't disagree with your arguement. Uniforms probably will help some. However, you still have cyberbullying which many folks have told me is out of control. Maryland has been gathering stats about bullying for several years now. Stats are fine. But, once you have stats, you need to do something about it, based on what the stats tell you. I can't say how serious Maryland is with bullying. Some will say they are putting forward their best effort. Others will say the current effort isn't good enough and children could die as result. In any case, at least Maryland will have some good statistics.

royhobie

hobieflyer
In almost every instance of bullying that I know of personally, the child that is doing it comes from a home where acting tough or #####y is encouraged. They follow their parents lead.

Case in point just a bit ago learned my daughter's friend was being bullied by a group of boys. I know the boys and their parents. Their parents were exactly the same way in school (although in one of the boy's cases it was the mom who was mean not the dad.)

So teaching our own kids not to bully and belittle begins with us not bullying or belittling anyone - this extends to making derogatory comments about people on the news or television or - can we be honest here? Walmart. Until the grownups behave the kids will not.

What makes it even worse now is you can't leave it at school and be safe at home because the hecklers are blowing up your phone and Facebook and photo-shopping pics etc etc.

I agree with what you said. But, uniforms could provide some agree of reduction in bullying as well. What that said, uniforms in public schools probably will never occur. Then again, maybe OMalley can put another tax on us so we can pay for that too.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I agree with what you said. But, uniforms could provide some agree of reduction in bullying as well. What that said, uniforms in public schools probably will never occur. Then again, maybe OMalley can put another tax on us so we can pay for that too.

I know of some public schools that have gone to uniforms (not in our county) but as a parent who had kids in Catholic school, I can say uniforms only cut out bullying over who had enough money for a designer label. And to be honest the kids could tell on "dress down" days or when they saw the cars parents drove who had money and who didn't. Plus uniforms are not for every body type - normally.

But this has no effect on bullying a child for their personality, interests, weight, height, lack of sports ability, grades, social standing, etc. Uniforms are not the answer.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I don't understand the whole bullying thing. I was bullied in school and during the summers. I would put up with it until I was touched then I'd bloody noses. Now I was suspended several times over the course of my fight career but it sent a message that you'd better keep your hands up when you started to harass me. I had groups of kids kick my azz because they thought if 4 or 5 of them started on me I'd cow. I didn't, I just took the beating but they never would forget me. I guess times have changed. I'm not sure how girls handle it though.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I know of some public schools that have gone to uniforms (not in our county) but as a parent who had kids in Catholic school, I can say uniforms only cut out bullying over who had enough money for a designer label. And to be honest the kids could tell on "dress down" days or when they saw the cars parents drove who had money and who didn't. Plus uniforms are not for every body type - normally.

But this has no effect on bullying a child for their personality, interests, weight, height, lack of sports ability, grades, social standing, etc. Uniforms are not the answer.

:yeahthat:

And uniforms have no effect on what goes on on Facebook. Even the parents get involved.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We all survived bullying when we were in school. Bullying isn't that prevalent, we just hear about extreme cases because of the internet. This is the new media pet issue du jour and they want to make a huge deal out of it, far beyond what is reasonable. Yes, bullying is wrong and should be punished, but zero-tolerance is horse crap and blowing it out of proportion just makes us a nation of crybaby nansy pansies.

Back in the olden days, when some kid was a bully (an actual one, not just some kid who calls another kid a mean name), you either A) beat the crap out of him; B) got someone else to beat the crap out of him; or C) your Mom went to the school or his parents and raised holy hell so that THEY would beat the crap out of him. It was a system that worked, so why mess with it?

These kids who kill themselves because some other kid called them a queer or a slut? They probably weren't going to have much success in life anyway, if they're that freaking sensitive over some name-calling.

I mean, really. Is there anyone reading this - anyone? - who wasn't called a name and picked on in school? And we'll note that we're all still alive and didn't throw ourselves off a bridge because of it. The whole "bullying" issue is pretty much stupid and overblown.

TGB

I dont think uniforms will discourage bullying. I went to school where you had to wear unifroms. I got picked on and I picked on people and just like Vrai said if it got out of hand you either beat them up, got someone to beat them or your parent raised hell for the students.

I think kids now either don't know how to handle the situation or just are way to sensitive and take everything to the extreme.

puggymom

I remember there was this guy who every day, sometimes several times a day, would yell "freak" every time he saw me or another goth friend of mine. After what felt like the 1000th time my friend and I came up with a list of synonyms for freak and went up to him, informed him that he lacked creativity and gave him the list.
He said "freaks" under his breath, walked away, and never spoke to us again, even to utter "freak".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I remember there was this guy who every day, sometimes several times a day, would yell "freak" every time he saw me or another goth friend of mine. After what felt like the 1000th time my friend and I came up with a list of synonyms for freak and went up to him, informed him that he lacked creativity and gave him the list.
He said "freaks" under his breath, walked away, and never spoke to us again, even to utter "freak".

See, and this is something today's generation of kids are not learning - how to handle the jerks in life.

And honestly, I think it's "their" way of making the citizenry totally helpless without government interference. To the point that we need "them" to make others stop being rude or mean to us because we cannot do it ourselves. And before too much longer, we it won't even occur to us to take care of it ourselves because we'll be too conditioned by the Big Government nanny mentality.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Uniforms are not the cure. Uniforms actually make it a bit harder to catch the culprits if the student victim does not know the child (we lose the ability to describe the offender's clothing) or the staff members do not know the child's name.

The emphasis on bullying these days is, as another poster said, the result of media -- news making it the cause celebre, and social making it easier to do it from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

Throw in that the teachers these days can barely raise their voices to a child, let alone implement any meaningful consequences for poor actions, lest the parents of the poor darlings initiate legal action.

Our children are growing up not knowing how to handle conflict themselves. Instead, we teach them that someone else will do it for them. We do them a great disservice.:coffee:

See, and this is something today's generation of kids are not learning - how to handle the jerks in life.

And honestly, I think it's "their" way of making the citizenry totally helpless without government interference. To the point that we need "them" to make others stop being rude or mean to us because we cannot do it ourselves. And before too much longer, we it won't even occur to us to take care of it ourselves because we'll be too conditioned by the Big Government nanny mentality.
It IS different today from back in our day.

We are no longer legally allowed to take care of ourselved or our own. You so much as shove a bully in your defense and you are deemed a criminal and treated as such. If someone else comes to your defense and knocks the crap out of the bully, be it an older sibling best friend or even a teacher that person is brought up on charges and can even be sued.