Schools

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by SmallTown

Maybe foreign language is optional here as well? I know I got some strange responses as to foreign language studies.

Well if you are taking a particular course of study...then it is required..but some of them such as Child Care, CAD, and alot others...a foreign language is not required. Also in that aspect...the SAT's are optional too.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by watercolor23
Smalltown,
You have to understand though. There are kids with all different learning disablities also.So you have to take that in to account when you get those scores also.

but those are everywhere. That is why I like the averages because things like this get accounted for (or weeded out, however you want to look at it) so everyone is on the same playing field

So those tests are just for basically telling the kids they are dumb if they dont pass.
Where is the motivation in that?

The motivation is that you try harder so you won't fail next time. Do people feel that the only reason teachers give tests is to show the kids how dumb they are? They are used to judge your comprehension of material, and what areas either the teacher or student needs to focus on. It is a notion of checks and balances.. Teachers try to get the material across to the students, in turn the students take tests on said material. When the scores are low in a certain area, the teacher know they need to go back and address that area.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I know that you said 4 out of 6 - but look at the 6:

1. Foreign Language - usually required but not always - i.e. kids in Tech Center

2. Only 3 Math credits are required to graduate - if a student takes Algebra I, II and Geomatry they will not have to take a higher class - therefore it is optional.

3. Only 3 credits of Science are required to graduate - so 4 years IS optional.

4. All Advanced Technology classes are optional

5. SAT is optional.

6. Grade point average - the only one that makes sense!!

If you look at my high school record it by this system it would seem my education was less than average - I passed 2 years of Spanish - one with a B, one with a C (I hated Spanish) so I fail here. I only took my required Math and Science classes and no Advnaced Tech classes. Knowing all this it would be hard to figure out why I had a 1400+ SAT score and 3.8 GPA despite my bad Spanish grades.

What this doesn't take into account is all the extra art and music classes I took. Not to mention the fact that I could not take the extra math and science classes scored because my arse was on early work-release -> because I was a broke girl who was NOT living at home with mom and pop!! Oh yeah and even though I was well qualified for the MD University system and actually recieved partial scholarship offers from both public and private universities - I did not attend a 4 year university until 5 years later!! Yet, I had a wonderful public education!!

watercolor

yeah yeah
In the aspect of those 4 potent tests...then I think those are ridiculous yes. I was not stating that teachers only give tests to show the dumbness in the person. You totally are taking it out of context.
I was simply saying you should base your standards on the school out of the set in foot rule..not by the judge a book by its cover. Those particular 4 tests, Reading, Writing, Math and Civics are just to show those areas. Each person who takes it does not learn the same.

Just dont be so bias...do you base everything you do on stats. That is pretty sad if you can not form your own opinion, and you have to have someone else tell you. Are you not able to decide for yourself, that you need someone else to dictate your move of you and your family.
that is what it sounds like. Stats are not always perfect, and show a blinding fact. There are alot of great teachers out there, and great schools. Not every teacher is for every student...that is why they have many teachers for each subject.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Lilly
Yet, I had a wonderful public education!!

Don't say that too loud.. Someone else said that was impossible.

The notion here not to trash the local schools. But rather to make them better. People need to quit making excuses for themselves and start trying a little harder. That is all I am saying.. if all you want to do in life is the bare minimum in life to get by, then so be it. Not a very good attitude, and not he attitude the children here want or need. I guess if you don't try for anything, you'll never have to settle for failure. Amazing the wide range of views. Ones who think the system is just great as it is, and another who feel the public school system is a complete loss. it is somewhere in between, and I want to make sure it leans more towards the former than the latter

SmallTown

Football season!

Just dont be so bias...do you base everything you do on stats. That is pretty sad if you can not form your own opinion, and you have to have someone else tell you.

My opinion, based on the information given, is that the St. Marys school system ranks lower than its neighbor Calvert county and I would like to see these scores raised.

If being biased about wanting to give kids the opportunity for the best education possible is a bad thing, i'm guilty.

SmallTown

Football season!
One things that keeps being overlooked here is that the excuses we use here for scores being low could very easily be used by other school which score a lot higher. The whole point of the conversation is to find out why this is and how to get our kids up to there as well. Even if it is meaningless as some have said, I'm sure the kids would enjoy seeing themselves at the top of the list instead of lower down.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Don't even get me going on Public Schools. I don't care if I have to beg, borrow, and borrow some more (I won't steal, I was raised better than that), my kids will not step foot in another public school EVER! The public schools, and their systematic attempt of pumping out mindless little drones! :burning:

I'd absolutely love to homeschool. I did it for two months and my kid learned more in those two months than his entire 4 years in public cesspools, where making little Johnny feel good about being being a moron is more important than an actual education. Kids are taught to regurgitate revisionist history, watered down math, and "we don't really need to know how to spell" English/Grammar lessons. I'm still in the process of deprogramming my oldest kid from the garbage he was taught in public schools.

Thankfully, we've found an excellent private school in the area that is doing amazing things with both of my kids. They are both now starting to fire up their brains again and love learning, because they can think freely and aren't told to shut up, so they can get back to teaching the MSPAP test!

SmallTown

Football season!
I think i'll put down Christy as seeing a need to help in the public schools.

As for private schools, I have had the opposite experience (my wife also). The kids in private schools were a little behind because the rich parents did not have time to help their child at home, so when little johnny had a problem, the parent would call the teacher fussing they were not teaching the material correctly, so they would spend another day or two on the same topic.

When my wife left private elementary school to go to public school, she was a full year behind in math and had to play major catch up when she switched over.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown

When my wife left private elementary school to go to public school, she was a full year behind in math and had to play major catch up when she switched over.
The same thing happened when my daughter switched PS districts after moving one summer. You can't blame that just on the private schools.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Smalltown, I'm far from rich, but I've had way too many dealings with attempting to "help" the piss poor public school system. You can put me down all you like, but my experience with ALL public schools, is that they care more about filling kids heads full of garbage rather than knowledge. I've got plenty of public school teachers in my family and every single one of them agree that what they teach in public school is "a mile wide and an inch deep". The best thing I ever did for my kids was to take them out of public school. I don't blame the teachers so much as I blame the highly overpaid "administration" who dictates what and how kids are taught. Every year they justify their paychecks by developing a "new" way to teach English, math, history etc...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Christy
I don't blame the teachers so much as I blame the highly overpaid "administration" who dictates what and how kids are taught.
It was the administration who suggested I homeschool. You should have seen the look on his face :eek: when I agreed...it was priceless. :cool:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Sharon
It was the administration who suggested I homeschool. You should have seen the look on his face :eek: when I agreed...it was priceless. :cool:

For everything else, there is MasterCard.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Lilly

The Original Lilly
SmallTown-

I never said that there was no problems at all with public school - and I am pretty sure no one else did either . . . you are reading things way out of context with both me and WC.
I also don't think it is a total loss. There are major problems that I do think need to be remedied - however I just don't think the MSPAP and standardized testing are the way to go. I was merely letting you know that if you are actually comparing schools by thier scores - don't waste your time - it won't tell you diddlysquat about how your kid will do there. Ask the schools if you can take a walk through - audit a few classes. Check out their extra-curricular programs - see what their art classes, music rooms, and theaters look like. Find out what type of clubs (photography, band, music, christian, writing, computer) will be available to your kids. Talk to the teachers - see what thier approach to learning is. And most importantly if your kid has a problem with an apathetic teacher (there are many) push to get him transferred to another class!

The 3 current schooling options (public, private, home) will have different effects on different kids. I flourished in public school because I was so glad to be away from the domineering private school that I attended for Elementary grades and I would have never survived if I was homeschooled - I am almost positive on that! But that doesn't mean that every kid should do it the same way I did!! The thing I was trying to stress is to listen to your kids. If you try one option and they are having a hard time - try soemthing else. Not one will work for all.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Lilly
Ask the schools if you can take a walk through - audit a few classes. Check out their extra-curricular programs - see what their art classes, music rooms, and theaters look like. Find out what type of clubs (photography, band, music, christian, writing, computer) will be available to your kids. Talk to the teachers - see what thier approach to learning is. And most importantly if your kid has a problem with an apathetic teacher (there are many) push to get him transferred to another class!

That is exactly my thoughts also. I really do think that would be bennifical to go and take a walk around all 3 schools and such. And even the private schools. That would be your best bet. Also, just hvae the principle take you in certain classes and sit there and watch them teach or something.
Like I said, not every teacher is for every child. That is why there are many employed in the same subject. The simple phrase of "dont judge a book by its cover" is what you need to be going by instead of some test scores.