Seatbelt Law

STMLADY

My Opinion

Hey everyone. Long time no putting in my two-cents worth..

had to chime in on this. For one, I have to agree any law that is set to protect yourself from yourself is just a money making revenue for the Government. It is much easier to institue a law then it is to "educate" on how to be safe. Seatbelts, helmets, airbags, are all a 50/50 chance to help or hurt you in any given type of accident. I have seen reports of people dying instantly because of a helmet snapping their neck and I have had first hand experience where I have been nearly choked to death from my seatbelt. I am short so I am also at a higher risk of suffering more injuries from my airbag going off then from having an accident.

With that in mind and this is specifically to Kain (sorry Kain) But if you can't handle the gore of an accident quit. You are a volunteer if you can't handle it quit. Just like those idiots who VOLUNTEERED to enter the military and gee that had to go and fight in a war...Hello folks if you sign up for something such as a volunteer fire fighter or EMT don't you think eventually you are going to have to go out on a call. Or is this just a matter of saying you are part of the rescue squad...I know many people who are members of both the rescue squad and the fire department. Accidents will happen and it doesn't matter if you have on a helmet, seatbelt or your car is fully engulfed in some safety bubble...It is an accident. It is not caused because you are not wearing some type of safety device...An injury will happen depending on the type of accident not depending on what your safety device is. If the accident is severe enough no safety device is going to safe your ###.

As far as having a law. That is the Governments way of getting out of doing their job. It is far easier to put a law in then to provide the proper training. You who have seen the latest Rookie Driver thing...tell me honestly did you take your kids out for the 40 hours? And tell me have you talked to your kids about the driver class. I did and my daughter informed me that when they discussed motorcyclists...all they said was that motorcyclists will ride down the center of the road and inbetween cars. GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BRAKE. the driver education program for our children needs to be revamped. The only really good driver program out there right now is the Motorcycle Safety Course, yet this course is not funded as it was suppose to have been and it is always on the chopping block.

My daughter just recently took the Driver improvement class. She said it was a waste of time..yet you have to pass the test. What does this do...passing a test doesn't make you a better driver. Put the driver education back in the school system where they have an entire semister and the accidents will drop.

Why do we have a seatbelt law...it is basically because people are too negligent on the roadways anymore...why do we have child protection seats because parents can't keep their kids seated because the GOVERNMENT took the right to disipline children away...Oh boy I have gone off on too many tangents but this really torks me.

Plain and simple all we need to do is better police ourselves and accidents will not happen. But since the Government does that for us we all have become lazy in this issue. I for one do not need the government to tell me how to protect myself from me. I am a very safe driver (okay those of you who know me are laughing) Tell me what are the penalties for those that cause an accident. Failure to yeld right away, failure to obey traffic signal, driving while under the influence. How many of you out there have known people to drive on a suspended license. Why are they still out there....because we are on the honor system at that point. There is no real way to stop someone from driving on a suspended license...Oh because the Government took my license away I am not going to drive anymore...oops..guess what reality check here if someone is going to drive....they are going to drive. And the Government needs to work on this not make laws to protect ourselves.

My final point (I hope) I was raised in St. Mary's County...Graduatuated from the county School system. With all these laws to protect me from me...does this mean that the school system here in Maryland failed to give me a proper education and I am so stupid I need to be told how to be safe?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: My Opinion

Originally posted by STMLADY
I was raised in St. Mary's County...Graduatuated from the county School system. does this mean that the school system here in Maryland failed to give me a proper education and I am so stupid I need to be told how to be safe?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SmallTown

Football season!
One point to be made is that seatbelt laws are not to protect you from you. It is to protect you from others. Plenty of very safe drivers are involved in accidents because of other unsafe drivers.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

As far as having a law. That is the Governments way of getting out of doing their job. It is far easier to put a law in then to provide the proper training. You who have seen the latest Rookie Driver thing...tell me honestly did you take your kids out for the 40 hours? And tell me have you talked to your kids about the driver class. I did and my daughter informed me that when they discussed motorcyclists...all they said was that motorcyclists will ride down the center of the road and inbetween cars. GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BRAKE. the driver education program for our children needs to be revamped. The only really good driver program out there right now is the Motorcycle Safety Course, yet this course is not funded as it was suppose to have been and it is always on the chopping block.

Until about 1990 or so, the state actually funded driver education class, both public and private. When that money dried up, the school systems decided they couldn't charge kids $175, so they dropped driver's ed altogether. That left only the privately run programs like A-1 or Drive America. I know these places have to be licensed by MVA, but I have no idea if they have to follow a state-written curriculum.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
You who have seen the latest Rookie Driver thing...tell me honestly did you take your kids out for the 40 hours?
Forty hours and then some. My son has had his learner's for almost a whole year. He gets the running commentary about all the stupid moves that other drivers make from his Dad and me when we take him out driving. He was in the Mustang the day we were hit from behind; we were on our way to his driving class that evening. (He missed class.) He was in another head-on accident shortly thereafter, his friend was driving, where the (faulty) air bag came partially out. Good thing he had on his seat belt.

Will he be any safer from dangerous driver's? Probably not anymore than the rest of us, but at least we are confident in his newly acquired driving skills.

STMLADY

Originally posted by Sharon
Forty hours and then some. My son has had his learner's for almost a whole year. He gets the running commentary about all the stupid moves that other drivers make from his Dad and me when we take him out driving. He was in the Mustang the day we were hit from behind; we were on our way to his driving class that evening. (He missed class.) He was in another head-on accident shortly thereafter, his friend was driving, where the (faulty) air bag came partially out. Good thing he had on his seat belt.

Will he be any safer from dangerous driver's? Probably not anymore than the rest of us, but at least we are confident in his newly acquired driving skills. [/B]

that is great that you devoted that much time to him...Hopefully it will help him be one less statistic number.

STMLADY

Re: Re: My Opinion

Originally posted by Tonio
Until about 1990 or so, the state actually funded driver education class, both public and private. When that money dried up, the school systems decided they couldn't charge kids $175, so they dropped driver's ed altogether. That left only the privately run programs like A-1 or Drive America. I know these places have to be licensed by MVA, but I have no idea if they have to follow a state-written curriculum.

yes they do but how it is followed and how it is interpreted is the problem. Like the driving time that they are suppose to have. The school that my daughter went to was so backed up that many of the kids just got their certificates.

I wouldn't mind giving the 205.00 to the school instead of giving it to the driving school. I do remember that when I took it in school it was a whole semister and I know I learned a lot it was far more structured and spaced out to where when you were finally behind the wheel of the car I was very confident that I could handle it.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love

Originally posted by STMLADY

...why do we have child protection seats because parents can't keep their kids seated because the GOVERNMENT took the right to disipline children away...Oh boy I have gone off on too many tangents but this really torks me.

I agree with seatbelt laws, for reasons I've touched on in an earlier post, but when I see some driver breaking that law, or if someone gets seriously injured b/c they're not wearing a seatbelt, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them, they should've known better.

Kid's safety seats are a different issue. The seats are NOT to keep the kids well behaved and prevent them from bouncing around the car and perhaps causing an accident. You can't put a 1-yr old in a regular seat belt, it fits so poorly, it'll probably kill them in the event of an accident. (statistics support this) You can't hold them on your lap, in an accident they're likely to fly through the window. Without mandatory safety seats for children, not enough people would use them to make it worthwhile to make decent ones.

I was in an accident when I was a year old. My parents had me in what passed for a child safety seat of the times (30+ yrs ago). They thought they were taking every precaution and they were exceeding the legal requirements of the time. They were hit head-on by a drunk driver. I landed on the floor. The only reason I'm alive is because this happened in a parking lot and my parents were going less than 20 mph.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law was told this story: The storyteller was on a "ride along" with a state trooper, when a call came in. According to the dispatcher there was an accident involving fatalities on Rt 70 in Howard County. Supposedly, a car, an SUV and a tractor trailer were involved, the occupants of the SUV had all died. When the storyteller and trooper arrived, the occupants of the SUV, a 1-yr old, a 3-yr old and their grandparents, were sitting on the grass, playing with their stuffed toys, the kids suffered some minor bruises from the safety straps, Grandpa, the driver, had an airbag and no injuries, Grandma had no airbag and a broken nose and cuts. The SUV had been crushed between a car and a tractor-trailer. My sister-in-law told the man that she was familiar with the story, they were HER children and parents. Was grandpa a safe driver, absolutely, he's one of the most cautious drivers I know, this wasn't his fault, in fact it would've been worse if he and the tractor trailer driver hadn't both been taking evasive action. Would he have straped those kids in properly if it wasn't the law, probably not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My daughter was mauled by a dog when she was 9. I think we should outlaw dogs. In the interest of public safety and all. :bubble: