Security Personnel at Point Lookout Confederate Monument

mdff21

Statues should be reserved for people we are aspire to be like. Not racists
Racists? What do you mean by the term racist. Just because they were from the south and in the Confederate Army, doesn't necessarily mean they were racist. They were fighting for a cause they believed in, just like the American Revolutionary War and all the other battles, wars and conflicts the United States has been involved in. Now if you want to pursue eliminating everything that was considered bad (confederate/slave owners) we need to close many of the HISTORIC landmarks. We can start with Mt. Vernon, the State of Virginia (Richmond was the Capital of the Confederate States), Jefferson Memorial. Change the names of cities, counties and states. The nations capital can be changed to the Capital District. All of this has gone entirely to far, ESPN removed a sportscaster from the Virginia/William & Mary game because his name was Robert Lee, get a life, he is Asian!!! All of this is history and should be preserved. In Baltimore a Christopher Columbus statue was destroyed the other night, why? Do we want to get rid of the nations history, and start history say in the 1960's? Forget about anything that happened before that, how we became the nation we are. You can't erase history by tearing down a statue, we learn from it

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who cares? It's still stupid to have confederate statues there. We are in the north. The south lost.

You really ARE that stupid. When the war broke out a) Maryland was a SLAVE state, as was Delaware and b) CSA regiments were stood up in MD and fought for the south. You are the most stunningly ignorant fool I've yet encountered on these forums, perhaps MR excepted.

Your precious Democratic party is the one that brought on all the hate visited on the freed slaves for the hundred years after the war ended. And that is a simple fact.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

What a bunch of babies crying about "they are taking our History"

Since when can you only learn about history from statues? Go to a museum or read a book. Why are you still worshipping statues of a side that lost.

Why would you want a statue or flag for that matter that offends a 1/3 of the population?

" most of these Confederate monuments were built during the Jim Crow era and in response to the civil rights movement — a sign that they were meant to explicitly represent white supremacy in the South:

Given that America is now trying to make amends for the racist policies of its past, it seems natural that the monuments that celebrated this horrific past come down.

It’s also not the case that this history is being erased, since the statues, flags, and other monuments aren’t necessarily being destroyed. They’re often, as was the case in South Carolina and potentially New Orleans, moved to museums or, as is the plan in Charlottesville, sold to someone else to take care of them."

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/8/16/16151252/confederate-statues-white-supremacists

Unlike gay marriage which ha no effect on people not gay married these statues have to be viewed daily by people who's families have been oppressed by the subjects

There is no more appropriate place for these two particular memorials than at the site if the camp where these men died. We shouldn't conflate monuments to soldiers killed in action or as pows with statues of REL placed during anti segregation efforts as a f u to blacks and the fed.

You really ARE that stupid. When the war broke out a) Maryland was a SLAVE state, as was Delaware and b) CSA regiments were stood up in MD and fought for the south. You are the most stunningly ignorant fool I've yet encountered on these forums, perhaps MR excepted.

Your precious Democratic party is the one that brought on all the hate visited on the freed slaves for the hundred years after the war ended. And that is a simple fact.

More derp from derpinstien

None of that #### matters. We shouldn't have monuments to the confederacy. It doesn't matter if Maryland was a slave state or technically the north. But that's not what we are talking about at point lookout. The monuments at point lookout mark fallen soldiers. Just like they are memorialized on the various battlefields. It has nothing to do with Maryland being in the south. the north choosing to put a pow camp there, end of story.

black dog

Free America
Why would you want a statue or flag for that matter that offends a 1/3 of the population?

l]

I could care less about there feelings, As a citizen here God granted you,
The Right to Pursue Happiness.. not to tear down $hit, burn, loot and assault folks.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There is no more appropriate place for these two particular memorials than at the site if the camp where these men died. We shouldn't conflate monuments to soldiers killed in action or as pows with statues of REL placed during anti segregation efforts as a f u to blacks and the fed.

More derp from derpinstien

None of that #### matters. We shouldn't have monuments to the confederacy. It doesn't matter if Maryland was a slave state or technically the north. But that's not what we are talking about at point lookout. The monuments at point lookout mark fallen soldiers. Just like they are memorialized on the various battlefields. It has nothing to do with Maryland being in the south. the north choosing to put a pow camp there, end of story.
butt out moron. I was specifically responding to your moron buddy Sappy..who thought Maryland was part of the north. And is true..you Dems were the ones that seceded..and later passed Jim Crow laws..fought hard to keep segregated society in place...opposed all civil rights legislation.... yeah Leroy...you did that.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
butt out moron. I was specifically responding to your moron buddy Sappy..who thought Maryland was part of the north. And is true..you Dems were the ones that seceded..and later passed Jim Crow laws..fought hard to keep segregated society in place...opposed all civil rights legislation.... yeah Leroy...you did that.

Thank you. I, you and others have pointed out for a long time who the Dems were/are. Point Lookout is a cemetery of Confederate soldiers treated horribly by the North. The hyprocrisy couldn't be better than this, or maybe, it can. Most likely, and probably it will.

Our Civil War was bro against bro. Pun intended. I can't imagine living in that time. So horrible. American against American. Let US hope that history doesn't repeat itself. God bless US all.

Last edited:

Sapidus

Gay people don't go out in public? I swear I've seen them out there.

My family was oppressed by the Romans - should we stop all foreign relations with Italy, remove all Roman numerals from all statues and documents and such, etc.?

How does a gay couple being out in public effect you? Unless you are a homophobe

Last edited:

Sapidus

"Boo hoo. You proved me wrong so stop talking to me".

God you are pathetic

officeguy

Unlike gay marriage which ha no effect on people not gay married these statues have to be viewed daily by people who's families have been oppressed by the subjects

As I said, the obelisk at the confederate cemetery is at the end of MD5. So unless you live in that one subdivision beyond the cemetery, you don't have to view that marker every day. If you want to be offended by that monument, you have to work really hard at it.

I dont care about gay marriage one way or the other, but for anyone who does have a problem there is really no way around it. TV, parents at your kids school etc.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Who cares? It's still stupid to have confederate statues there. We are in the north. The south lost.

Again, you dont know what the f..ck you're talking about. There are no statues at the Confederate cemetery. Just two obelisks.

As, far as REL goes he was a great man, before and after the war. I would aspire to be like him more than any of your snowflake heroes.

Recommended reading....
https://www.amazon.com/Recollections-Letters-General-Robert-Library/dp/0914427660

Last edited:

Wishbone

Again, you dont know what the f..ck you're talking about. There are no statues at the Confederate cemetery. Just two obelisks.

As, far as REL goes he was a great man, before and after the war. I would aspire to be like him more than any of your snowflake heroes.

Recommended reading....
https://www.amazon.com/Recollections-Letters-General-Robert-Library/dp/0914427660

You're wasting your breath. Sappy doesn't even understand the concept of being an adult, let alone a man.

Sapidus

Posts the moron that didn't know Marylands role in the civil war..or that Maryland was a slave state....lol

I'm well aware of all of the things. My statement that "we are in the north" doesn't mean we were not once a slave state. No one today considers Maryland to be a southern state.

Hannibal

I'm well aware of all of the things. My statement that "we are in the north" doesn't mean we were not once a slave state. No one today considers Maryland to be a southern state.

In the context of a discussion surrounding the Civil War and Confederate "things", I'd disagree and state fully the opposite.