Selling a house without an agent.

dn0121

AK-74me said:
I bought my first and only house without an agent, the seller and I agreed on terms, she had a lawyer write up the contract, I had a lawyer I hired review it and the deal was done. Cost a few hundred bucks and didn't have to pay anyone a commission.
Congrats, but you never pay a commission when your they buyer.

dn0121

right but the commission for the sale comes out of the sellers money. you choose the price you pay for a house.

awpitt

Main Streeter
dn0121 said:
right but the commission for the sale comes out of the sellers money. you choose the price you pay for a house.

True but all monies at settlement come from the buyer. Yes the commision does take away from the sellers profit but the money is comming from the buyer.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
awpitt said:
True but all monies at settlement come from the buyer. Yes the commision does take away from the sellers profit but the money is comming from the buyer.
The money that pays for a commission isn't coming out of thin air. It has to come from somewhere. While the buyer isn't paying directly the commission, I'd bet that the sale price is somehow computed to include the money that the seller has to pay to the agent. If I were a seller, and I had to pay $20K in commission, I'd just jack up the sale price by a like amount so that it wouldn't really cost me much out of pocket expenses.

Or something like that. :lol:

Last edited:

dn0121

All true statements, it is just knowing how to negotiate. Someone with good business sense knows how to get what they want for what they want to pay.

After looking at a lot of houses FSBO and FS w/ Realtor you can tell who knows how to price a house and who doesn't. In my experience only, many times the FSBO have had an attitude about there property and had it extremely overpriced. In just this past one it has to do with trying to get 2 years ago prices in todays market.

Of course the money is going to come from the buyer, I don't think anyone questioned that. The buyer can offer any price they want on a house. So don't be afraid to underbid on a FSBO by a large amount. Especially if it has been on the market a while. You can always go up, but you can't go down.

male20674

Fsbo

parrotc said:
Hubby and I are putting our townhouse (North Beach) on the market in a few days. We are going to attempt to sell it ourselves. Any advice on if we should retain a real estate lawyer now or can we just take a signed purchase agreement to our local title company? Thanks.

I strongly recommend that you list with a real estate agent. Sign a contract with exclusive angency this way only if the agent brings the buyer to the table do they get paid.

In this market you want to get all the marketing available out there. By listing with an agent you are really paying them to market your home. Certain companies such as century 21 have presentations to prospective clients assuring them of their marketing skills.

Look around talk to many agents and go with y=the one you feel is going to work the best for you.

keekee

I bought my house FSBO. I had been working with a real estate agent before I found the house, and he would not help with the purchase without a fee. I paid a reduced fee for a "buyer's agent", and it was a TOTAL waste of my money. I kicked myself afterwards. The closing agent and my mortgage company took care of everything, and told me exactly what paperwork I needed to get together. I knew all facts before my "buyer's agent" told me anything, and was always a step ahead of him.

FSBO is the way to go. :lmao:

You do NOT need a real estate agent... Unless you have money to throw away. Everything is accessible on the web, you can find your home by yourself with very little effort.

and I hear that selling a home that way is even easier.

parrotc

male20674 said:
I strongly recommend that you list with a real estate agent. Sign a contract with exclusive angency this way only if the agent brings the buyer to the table do they get paid.

In this market you want to get all the marketing available out there. By listing with an agent you are really paying them to market your home. Certain companies such as century 21 have presentations to prospective clients assuring them of their marketing skills.

Look around talk to many agents and go with y=the one you feel is going to work the best for you.

This thread is a few years old. :lol: We ended up using an agent. Too many creepy people were calling and we didn't feel like weeding out a decent buyer. We had a contract in 2 days and made quite a profit.

Nitro

List on MLS for FREE!!

Iggy's House

I think realtors are a dying breed. The Internet has crippled their ability to convince buyers and sellers that they cannot sell/buy a house themselves.

This is really scarry...

The National Association of Realtors (NAR) is trying to use the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) to keep business from the discount realtors. NAR reps are actually delisting the discount realtor listings from this site.

WOW

dawn

dawn said:
It doesnt cost a buyer any money to use an agent. The seller is the only person to pay a fee.

(My primary job is a paralegal, but i am also licensed to sell real estate.)

Selling a house without... 05-31-2007 06:06 PM slam bam f *** you mamm

I GOT THIS RED KARMA FOR MY POST????????

We have some really wonderful people on this board! Thank you for thinking my post was just so great you needed to waste your karma on me. If only you had left your name so I could repay you. :buttkick:

Last edited: