Septic Pump Out

OldHillcrestGuy

Found the list...
Gave you Wayne's, Hill's and Jimmie's. Those would be my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

Other names, no idea who they are or quality of work:
Downs 301-997-1566
Copsey 301-884-4408
Lee's 301-392-1910

If that Copsey is the old Eugene stay away from them. There is another Copsey up in the Mechcanicsville area run by a guy who's last name is Gates maybe first name Jimmy he is great.

So, the saga continues.

After babying the system for a year, being very prudent about how much water I use, it was backed up again. Time to dig up the front yard and see what the problem is.

Wayne's came out and dug down to the pipe exiting the tank to the drain field. The pipe had completely collapsed, nothing was exiting the tank. Ok, so simple fix, replace the pipe. They continue digging to find the start of the drain field and disconnect the pipes. Totally plugged with roots. He looks at me and says I need a new drain field. BUT..... now the health dept has to be involved. The have to examine the system, determine if the field is still viable, run perk tests.... oi.

So they come out, dig up where the end of the drain field is, and find the soil in pristine condition. Wayne's convinces the inspector that all that is needed is to dig out the old pipe, lay new gravel and pipe and cover it up. No perk test. No new system, no mound (worst case), and a HUGE savings to my wallet.

But both of them made a strong suggestion to have a maple tree removed. It was the tree that put down all the roots that got into the piping. Not having the tree removed would probably compromise the new drain field within a few seasons. SO... today a tree guy is coming to take down not one, but two maple trees, as the 2nd tree is close enough to cause problems too. These trees are old, established, look nice, provide shade, and I am going to miss them.

The tree put out roots seeking the water from the drain field. Root got into the pipes, blocking the water from draining. The water backed up and ran out between the pipe and the tank. The escaping water eroded the soil under the pipe. The weight of the 2-3 feet of dirt above the pipe caused it to collapse. This has been a long time in progress.

Waiting for the tree guy to show up this morning and the carnage begin....

ginwoman

So, the saga continues.

After babying the system for a year, being very prudent about how much water I use, it was backed up again. Time to dig up the front yard and see what the problem is.

Wayne's came out and dug down to the pipe exiting the tank to the drain field. The pipe had completely collapsed, nothing was exiting the tank. Ok, so simple fix, replace the pipe. They continue digging to find the start of the drain field and disconnect the pipes. Totally plugged with roots. He looks at me and says I need a new drain field. BUT..... now the health dept has to be involved. The have to examine the system, determine if the field is still viable, run perk tests.... oi.

So they come out, dig up where the end of the drain field is, and find the soil in pristine condition. Wayne's convinces the inspector that all that is needed is to dig out the old pipe, lay new gravel and pipe and cover it up. No perk test. No new system, no mound (worst case), and a HUGE savings to my wallet.

But both of them made a strong suggestion to have a maple tree removed. It was the tree that put down all the roots that got into the piping. Not having the tree removed would probably compromise the new drain field within a few seasons. SO... today a tree guy is coming to take down not one, but two maple trees, as the 2nd tree is close enough to cause problems too. These trees are old, established, look nice, provide shade, and I am going to miss them.

The tree put out roots seeking the water from the drain field. Root got into the pipes, blocking the water from draining. The water backed up and ran out between the pipe and the tank. The escaping water eroded the soil under the pipe. The weight of the 2-3 feet of dirt above the pipe caused it to collapse. This has been a long time in progress.

well, its sad to lose your trees...but you are making progress to what must be done.....better than a mound system

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So, the saga continues.

Oy vey! I remember when I had a HUGE tree go down in 2011 and it ripped out my ancient drain field. Old terra cotta pipes full of dirt and roots. Thank goodness for homeowners insurance! I wish you luck!

I couldn't help but think of ItsBob and BadGirl and the problems they had with their septic system, all the frustration and expense. For a while this looked like a repeat story.

luvmygdaughters

If that Copsey is the old Eugene stay away from them. There is another Copsey up in the Mechcanicsville area run by a guy who's last name is Gates maybe first name Jimmy he is great.

It is Jimmy. He pumps at our jobsite on Morgantown and Chalk Point generating station. Very dependable, good work and never had a complaint about him.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've got a very similar situation out on the island I manage. Two big old maple trees managed to get their roots in to the septic system pipes and everything is backed up. Same solution as GW's....dig out the old lines and replace them. Cut down the maples trees (one done, one to go).

PITA.