Shady Grove Fertility Center

frdldy2001

Shady Grove

Has anyone here used them?? Likes, Dislikes??? Thanks in advance.

I went to them almost a year ago, I was very disappointed with them. I scheduled an appt for Waldorf and my husband and I both took off work and met with the doctor. NO WHERE on their website did they say anything about NOT helping you if you smoked or you were overweight. When I left there, I was in tears...then I was told that I wouldnt be charged for the office visit and guess what they billed me for it anyway. I cant believe that for a hopsital that is suppose to help you with ferlitity problems didnt help me at all.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM

C

CalvertNewbie

Has anyone here used them?? Likes, Dislikes??? Thanks in advance.

:yay: We went to the one in Annapolis and we now have a 3.5 month old little boy! :yahoo: I also know someone who went to the one in DC and has 3 kids, thanks to SGF. Of course, I recommend them because it worked for us. Not everyone is so fortunate, especially the first time they try. Hubby & I consider ourselves very lucky. We saw many very upset patients leaving on a regular basis. :bawl:

Likes - it worked! :yahoo: Also, I absolutely loved the staff there. Everyone from the doctors to the nurses to the techs were amazing. This is very important because if you decide to go this route, you'll be spending A LOT of time there. It's a lengthy, time consuming process. At the very least, go in for a consultation.

Dislikes - expect to spend a lot of time in the waiting room. You'll be amazed how many people are there for consultations, monitoring, etc, every single day. I never realized how many people struggled with fertility. Also understand that you won't go in there one day and be pregnant a week later - it can take months by the time your body is ready. And I hope you don't hate needles.

Just an fyi - they are upfront about the cost and clearly advise you that the cost does not include the medications needed. Check with your insurance company to make sure they cover "injectable meds" because they are costly. 90% of the meds used are injectables. Ours did not and we found out the hard way. Our insurance covered 50% of the treatment and very little of the meds. But it was well worth it in the end.

C

CalvertNewbie

I went to them almost a year ago, I was very disappointed with them. I scheduled an appt for Waldorf and my husband and I both took off work and met with the doctor. NO WHERE on their website did they say anything about NOT helping you if you smoked or you were overweight. When I left there, I was in tears...then I was told that I wouldnt be charged for the office visit and guess what they billed me for it anyway. I cant believe that for a hopsital that is suppose to help you with ferlitity problems didnt help me at all.

:huggy: Wow, I didn't know that either. What a crappy experience you had, I'd have left in tears too. I hope things are going better for you now.

J

jaybeeztoo

:huggy: Wow, I didn't know that either. What a crappy experience you had, I'd have left in tears too. I hope things are going better for you now.

Ummm sounds crappy, but if you smoke, shouldn't you consider quiting before conceiving?

What does overweight have to do with it?

I have no clue...no bio kids on my end.

Congrats on your great results!!!!

Im_Me

I went to Dr. Mottla in Annapolis. He was working with a different practice then, but is with Shady Grove now. I had a great experience working with him.

I have 12 year old twins.

Pushrod

Patriot
My wife and I have been going to Shady Grove Fertitlity in both Annapolis and Rockville for the past couple of months. They inserted two blastocysts this past Friday so we should know if either of them took in about another week and a half.

As far as the facilities and staff, we were very pleased. They treated us very well and had a great demeanor. The appointments were always on time and we were usually in and out rather quickly.

The process itself was tough, especially on my wife, having to self-inject meds daily, plus the week before egg harvest, having to go up every other day for ultrasounds and bloodwork.

So I'll let you know in about 1.5 weeks if it was worth the effort.

C

CalvertNewbie

Ummm sounds crappy, but if you smoke, shouldn't you consider quiting before conceiving?

I agree with you. I've never smoked and if I had, I certainly would have quit before trying to conceive. I was just showing compassion for frdldy2001, who had a bad experience there. Thanks for the congrats! :huggy:

My wife and I have been going to Shady Grove Fertitlity in both Annapolis and Rockville for the past couple of months. They inserted two blastocysts this past Friday so we should know if either of them took in about another week and a half.

As far as the facilities and staff, we were very pleased. They treated us very well and had a great demeanor. The appointments were always on time and we were usually in and out rather quickly.

The process itself was tough, especially on my wife, having to self-inject meds daily, plus the week before egg harvest, having to go up every other day for ultrasounds and bloodwork.

Wow, I wish you the best of luck. I really hope it all works out for you and your wife!

Yes, it's a lot to go through. Going there so often toward the end got exhausting after a while, especially the 45 minute drive each way. At the very end, I was there every single day!

lovinmaryland

Sometimes if you are overwieght you can have a problem ovulating. I think it is called pcos.

JLS

Sorry u had such a bad experience. I went for my consultation in Waldorf and was told I needed to lose like 20 lbs (I have PCOS) and they needed to talk to my cardiologist before they would touch me just to make sure my heart could handle it but they were very nice and talked to me for over an hour about different things.. its kinda aggravating tho seeing women who are larger than me, have no difficulties getting pregnant and here I am taking meds and working out trying to lose some weight so I can get pregnant.. but I need to be healthy anyway.. if u ever wanna or need to talk..

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
We went for a consultation once to the one in Annapolis. They were very nice. I didn't have a hard time getting pregnant that was the easy part it was keeping the pregnancy past 12 weeks.

I have/had other health issues that made us decide that the treatments and trail/error was not for us.

They treated me very well and had we decided to go that route I would have gone through them.

KWAK

:yay: We went to the one in Annapolis and we now have a 3.5 month old little boy! :yahoo: I also know someone who went to the one in DC and has 3 kids, thanks to SGF. Of course, I recommend them because it worked for us. Not everyone is so fortunate, especially the first time they try. Hubby & I consider ourselves very lucky. We saw many very upset patients leaving on a regular basis. :bawl:

I do believe it is I that you're referring to that has 3 kids thanks to SG! Loved them there!!! I recommend them because I tried 2 other places that weren't nearly as up to date as they are - and, well, because it worked!!

Dr. Widra was fantastic - loved my nurse, too!

And I wasn't lucky enough to have had it work on the first try! I lost 3 babies and had one ectopic along the way - but that wasn't SG's fault.

As for being overweight - that's BS. I am a touch overweight and no one EVER slighted me for it! In fact, I have PCOS. . . Doc told me that it wasn't proven if being overweight causes PCOS or if the PCOS causes a person to be overweight. I can't comment on the smoking because I did quit before spending that kind of money to conceive!

I actually know someone else that had twins through SG and another pregnant now with twins from SG. Highly, highly recommend them.

KWAK

GOOD LUCK!!!! My 2 6-day blasts are my av!!!

Mdcopswife

Boss Lady
Thanks everyone for the info. I went to my initial consult and things went well. Hubby and I went today for his SA and my day 3 ultrasound and blood work. I have a total of 19 antral follies. YIPPEE!!!!! I should get my blood work results back this afternoon. HSG next week followed by my consult with another DR regarding my hypertension and we should be good to go. I see the doctor again July 22 and should be ready to start our first and hopefully only IVF cycle on July 27. Things have gone quickly it is just unreal. They were upfront about the fees and we are ready for it. The doctors feel confident this will work for us. I have had two children from a previous marriage and the only reason we have “issues” is because I had my tubes tied and then reversed and it didn’t work. Hubby’s swimmers are a bit slow, so hopefully with a little push we can get pregnant.

JLS

Wow! Please let us know. I'll say a little prayer for you guys.

The dr I consulted with suggested the IUI for me.. I just really pray that I just get PREGNANT!! on my own would be wonderful but really don't see that happening after all this time.. so.. guess I need to make my next appt.. how hard is it to get to Annapolis office? Isn't there one in Dunkirk? Is that a full office like Annapolis?

Pushrod

Patriot
We got the results of her blood test back yesterday and she was negative for pregnancy :( ! This was devastating to her as we had our hopes up very high. In fact I never even considered that she wouldn't get pregnant from this as everything seemed to go better than expected.

Now we have to decide if it is worth the effort to go through this for a second time, whether it increases or decreases the chances on a second go around.
This was a VERRY BIG let down.

Mdcopswife

Boss Lady
We got the results of her blood test back yesterday and she was negative for pregnancy :( ! This was devastating to her as we had our hopes up very high. In fact I never even considered that she wouldn't get pregnant from this as everything seemed to go better than expected.

Now we have to decide if it is worth the effort to go through this for a second time, whether it increases or decreases the chances on a second go around.
This was a VERRY BIG let down.

I am so sorry. It’s so hard to get your hopes up and then get the news of no pregnancy. My husband has been talking non stop about baby names, moving rooms, ect ect. I have to keep reminding him that we are not pregnant yet and the IVF may not work. I feel good about you guys. I say give it a rest for a short time and have another go at it. There is also a great web site that I joined with forums PM me for the website addy. It has been a great help to me and my husband.