Should hunters switch to 'green' bullets?

Put alot of lead in pheasant, rabbit, squirrel and deer, and ate it. I'm still alive. :shrug:
I was just stating what I read in a news article back in the fall. Personally, I have no problem with lead projectiles so long as the are not impacting my body violently. Next they will ban lead pellets (as in for pellet guns) and lead sinkers for fishing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was just stating what I read in a news article back in the fall. Personally, I have no problem with lead projectiles so long as the are not impacting my body violently. Next they will ban lead pellets (as in for pellet guns) and lead sinkers for fishing.

They are already working on this one..

It's further along than the bullets..

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

They are already working on this one..

It's further along than the bullets..

And with the weight one, I'm still sort of wavering. I don't understand what the big deal would be if something else was used for weight, or why lead is even used (density, I'm sure?), but if something that worked as well was used then I'm not really opposed to switching, at all.

JoeMac

I'm not sure why everybody can't understand that lead is poisonous.

That's why lead based paint is now illegal.

That's why lead shot for waterfowl hunting is illegal. This will happen sooner than later for upland game hunting too.

I have been using barnes xpaners (100% copper)on deer for years. They are devastating and I think the performance surpasses ANY lead bullet.

Just realize there are alternatives and sometimes they are better.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That's why lead shot for waterfowl hunting is illegal. This will happen sooner than later for upland game hunting too.

I have been using barnes xpaners (100% copper)on deer for years. They are devastating and I think the performance surpasses ANY lead bullet.

A decent, solid, informative, non inflammatory post. :buddies:

HunterJJD

I shoot Barnes for all my big game bullets or custom solid copper turned bullets. But I do by choice. They run me from 85 cents each up to 2.50 each just for the bullet.

I will not use solids on small game.

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
We should develop bullets made out of compressed salt and pepper, maybe a lttle garlic.. sell them for say $10 - 15 a ROUND.. and tell them it's for the children..
Season Shot is made of tightly packed seasoning bound by a fully biodegradable food product. The seasoning is actually injected into the bird on impact seasoning the meat from the inside out. When the bird is cooked the seasoning pellets melt into the meat spreading the flavor to the entire bird. Forget worrying about shot breaking your teeth and start wondering about which flavor shot to use!
Season Shot - Ammo with flavor.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I shoot Barnes for all my big game bullets or custom solid copper turned bullets. But I do by choice. They run me from 85 cents each up to 2.50 each just for the bullet. .

And herein lies the issue: affordability.
If "green" ammo was more affordable (than it is now, lead price range), and lets assume it works just as well, then there is no real reason to use lead anymore. Everyone can't afford an extra $1.50+ per round, though.

yankee44

But the steel shot is nowhere as efective as lead, and Bismouth is way too much money when you go out and shoot over a box a day 2 to 3 times a week for the entire season.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
But the steel shot is nowhere as efective as lead, and Bismouth is way too much money when you go out and shoot over a box a day 2 to 3 times a week for the entire season.

You might want to spen some time at the gun range and improve your aim.

yankee44

You might want to spen some time at the gun range and improve your aim.

Kill a limmit of ducks and geese that is 11 birds where I hunt west of 301.

Way too times have I seen Steel double BBs bounce off big geese.

Since the law change you see alot more crippled birds than you did before.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Show me the math.. don't come in here spouting opinions.. give me PROOF that copper is a better alternative then lead.. and then conitnue to show me PROOF that one bullet made of lead is worse for the environment than one bullet made of copper.. and give me hard numbers to show me how MUCH worse it is.

Kids could come in contact (not the problem) and eat the paint chips (the problem)... My kids don't wander around the woods searching for lead bullets to eat (not a problem)... AND even it they did, the bullet would pass through their system faster than any harmful levels of lead could be absorbed (again, not a problem)..

So show me some facts, where it truly is beneficial to give up lead bullets.

Kill a limmit of ducks and geese that is 11 birds where I hunt west of 301.

Way too times have I seen Steel double BBs bounce off big geese.

Since the law change you see alot more crippled birds than you did before.

Step up to the 3 1/2" mags big boy. :killingme

Seriously, steel shot sucks... I sold my 3 1/2" chambered shotgun because I hardly ever chambered a shell of that size, plus I hardly ever waterfowl hunt - I sold it (Benelli Nova Pump) and bought a Beretta semi instead.

JoeMac

Show me the math.. don't come in here spouting opinions.. give me PROOF that copper is a better alternative then lead.. and then conitnue to show me PROOF that one bullet made of lead is worse for the environment than one bullet made of copper.. and give me hard numbers to show me how MUCH worse it is.

Kids could come in contact (not the problem) and eat the paint chips (the problem)... My kids don't wander around the woods searching for lead bullets to eat (not a problem)... AND even it they did, the bullet would pass through their system faster than any harmful levels of lead could be absorbed (again, not a problem)..

So show me some facts, where it truly is beneficial to give up lead bullets.

I'm not sure I gave a lot of opinions. What I said was the federal government has banned certain products. If the federal government says its against the law, that's just something you're going to have to deal with.

If the proof you are looking for is some type of study or doctors findings, I am no doctor. If you want me to go online and find other studies and the like that can be done. I also made no mention of children. I'm not sure how children were brought into this discussion, but they have NO bearing on it.

I said that I have good experience with copper ammunition. They are expensive, however so is everything, cars, food, housing. This may just be the price you have to pay to play the game.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Maybe we are approaching this wrong.. we should stop fighting the Morons.. and just take all of their money.

We should develop bullets made out of compressed salt and pepper, maybe a lttle garlic.. sell them for say $10 - 15 a ROUND.. and tell them it's for the children..

They'll buy it, and feel good bout being stupid!!

Taking it a step further.. knives made out of stale cheese..

Rifle cleaning equipment with butter based oils..

man, we could be RICH.. and we can go out and shoot our guns with lead bullets all we want!

You're one of a kind Bob.:lmao: