Skills-based hiring...don't need a degree

glhs837

Power with Control

So I'm not sure of the validity of that. If you pool degreed folks and non degreed folks in the same pool for a job, and hiring managers who have been choosing degreed folks for 30 years continue to choose them, what does that prove? The real point would be to hire only non degreed people and see how they do. Or commit to only fill half you positions with each type and see what results you get.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The real point would be to hire only non degreed people and see how they do. Or commit to only fill half you positions with each type and see what results you get.
Gawd...what kind of organization can justify that kind of risk? I guess the "we can't fail because we're the gummint" business model could....

Clem72

Or commit to only fill half you positions with each type and see what results you get.
Can you do that? I guess if you can say education is a requirement you can say lack of it is also a requirement. But i'm sure someone would sue.

A) Honestly, you're perfect for the job. Really, best interview we had. It's a shame about that college degree though.
B) What do you mean? I graduated from MIT with a dual major in mechanical engineering and Bio-Pharmacology and was on the dean's list every semester.
A) Yea, that's great and all but we're really set on hiring a high school dropout with a GED and "life skills" to develop our next generation artificial pancreas.

PeoplesElbow

It depends on the job. Hiring someone to man the cosmetics counter at Belk I'd go with someone who had experience in sales and makeup vs a biochemist with a degree. If I was looking for a doctor I'd take the guy that just got out of med school over the guy with a bone in his nose that had been treating his village for whatever ailes them for the last 20 years.

There is a place for both.

Clem72

If I was looking for a doctor I'd take the guy that just got out of med school over the guy with a bone in his nose that had been treating his village for whatever ailes them for the last 20 years.
Ah, I see you are familiar with my doctor.

I told the Shaw doctor my stomach's feeling blue.
And then the Shaw doctor he told me what to do.
He said that Ooo eee Omeprazole, ting tang, apple cider bing bang.

(just kidding, don't sue me Shaw group).

eric14

It depends on the job. Hiring someone to man the cosmetics counter at Belk I'd go with someone who had experience in sales and makeup vs a biochemist with a degree. If I was looking for a doctor I'd take the guy that just got out of med school over the guy with a bone in his nose that had been treating his village for whatever ailes them for the last 20 years.

Exactly; a bachelor's degree doesn't hold as much weight as even a CompTIA A+ certification (which I happen to have one). Obviously Security+ is the preferred minimum and it makes sense. Nevertheless, both are equivalent to experience if you ask me.

Clem72

Exactly; a bachelor's degree doesn't hold as much weight as even a CompTIA A+ certification (which I happen to have one). Obviously Security+ is the preferred minimum and it makes sense. Nevertheless, both are equivalent to experience if you ask me.

I'm sorry, but that's laughable. I got both the A+ and Security+ certifications after a 1 week boot camp class 15 years ago when my department decided everyone had to be 8750 level II or III complaint. To be clear, I didn't need the classes, but work would only pay for the testing if you took the class. That said, everyone in those classes passed the tests including the retired military guys with zero technical skills that heard "cyber" was a good career choice.

Both of those certifications are a joke, and comparing them to any bachelor's even the most useless underwater basket weaving degree is embarrassing.

That's like the guy who tells everyone he knows how to work on cars because he changes his own oil and windshield wiper blades.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Gawd...what kind of organization can justify that kind of risk? I guess the "we can't fail because we're the gummint" business model could....
There was a contractor on Solomons that used to hire hundreds (tens) of people at a time and lay off 99% of them within a couple of months. Outgoing employees would sell their entire too boxes to the next set of incoming people.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The study was clearly focused on "professional" career positions..positions that historically always require(d) a college degree.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If I was looking for a doctor I'd take the guy that just got out of med school over the guy with a bone in his nose that had been treating his village for whatever ailes them for the last 20 years.
The study was clearly focused on "professional" career positions..positions that historically always require(d) a college degree.
So you're saying uM'Bubu has a chance now?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Both of those certifications are a joke, and comparing them to any bachelor's even the most useless underwater basket weaving degree is embarrassing.

I have 23 yrs IT experience ... I avoid jobs with these bone headed requirements

if an organization is this stuck on stupid ... I have been building computers since before you* were born sonny

* Not you Clem

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I worked supporting one of the most reviled organizations to ever plague the Navy/Marine Corps. They were sure they were going to obtain a reason to let me go. They were hiring "techs" with only Xbox experience at a fraction of my salary who could pass tests. It took me less than an hour to complete the Sec+ exam. In the end, they had to fudge my ticket count to finally "let me go". **** HP and their sorry assed managers. I'm much, much happier working for peanuts in the private sector, for a boss who's also a good friend.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I worked supporting one of the most reviled organizations to ever plague the Navy/Marine Corps. They were sure they were going to obtain a reason to let me go. They were hiring "techs" with only Xbox experience at a fraction of my salary who could pass tests. It took me less than an hour to complete the Sec+ exam. In the end, they had to fudge my ticket count to finally "let me go". **** HP and their sorry assed managers. I'm much, much happier working for peanuts in the private sector, for a boss who's also a good friend.
I was an Exchange Administrator when all that started going down.

Spent so much time trying to explain to their Assistant Lunkhead was the first server in site and public folders server had to be the last to be taken down of the legacy equipment but, noooooooooo. EDS Assistant Moron wouldn't listen.

I left as soon as opportunity arose and heard later than the moron took the FS down, REMOVED it from the Org, and took everyone still on legacy down with no ability to restore the server. ( Removal from site eliminates its ability to be restored.)

Got a really good laugh about that one.

What was even better was the base Commanders MB was on that server. :lmao:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I was going to agree with this, but I can't in all good conscience assist in his head getting any larger.

:ducksandruns:
I'm gonna try to be nice here, because I'm in need of some tig welding, but I believe the hat size has surpassed the shoe size as of late.

:rightbehindyou:

PeoplesElbow

Can tell you that don't work out. We hired a guy to maintain our network that learns from YouTube, and crap never works right.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm gonna try to be nice here, because I'm in need of some tig welding, but I believe the hat size has surpassed the shoe size as of late.

:rightbehindyou:
Don't fret it. Every company I've ever known has at least one disgruntled employee. SGI is still miffed about his last performance review. In 1993 I believe it was....

PeoplesElbow

I re-read that and the only thing I saw was "business" I think these are soft skills, I think a lot of jobs required a degree "just because". My EX got a bullshit degree that fits many of these jobs, but I am pretty sure that nothing in her political science or Spanish degrees made her more qualified for anything.