Sledding and private property.

zigg72md

I had a very interesting turn of events happen the weekend. I thought I would post my story here and hope that the other people involved will read this and understand my position. If you don't know where I am talking about then I am probably not talking to you so don't worry about it.

My back yard is a very nice sledding hill in Saint Leonard Md. Just to try and clarify things to the ones actually invloved the idea of 18 ft from the tree line was used. The biggest problem with my yard is that it ends right on a public street with blind corners on each side and traffic that rarely does the speed limit. Not only are there liability issuses there is also the fact that it is my land and I should get to decide who (if anyone) gets to be there.

Over this weekend some people in my neighborhood decided they wanted to have their children sled on my hill. After asking them to leave I was told I didn't have the authority. So I contacted the sherriff's department. After which these people convinced the deputy that my back yard was community property. After a few phone calls and a trip to the sherriff's department I have convinced the deputies that the land is in fact my private property and not community property. The deputy suggested that I put up more signs so that there is hopefully less confusion. Which I will be doing. To the people who believe that I am wrong, please bring your documentation to my house so that we may discuss this and put the matter to rest.

The only alternative I see is for me to press tresspassing charges on you if you come back and stay till the deputy shows up. Which I have been told by the sherrif's office that once one more sign goes on the small tree at the bottom of the hill that is all the warning I need to give you before you may be procecuted.

Last edited:
S

shagger

It is ridiculous that you have to post signs on your property and prove to others that it is your property! But this is a free country we live in. :sarcasm:

Rael

Supper's Ready
If something happened to a kid sledding on this property, there would be no shortage of consensus on whose property it belongs to then, would there?

If it's that much of a dangerous place, I'd fence it off. Much less expensive than something bad happening.

muttdog

I can't afford to fence it. Also I feel I shouldn't have too to have my property rights respected.

I understand where your comming from, not trying to be funny but one big tree laying across the hill would stop it also and cheaper than a fence.

S

shagger

If something happened to a kid sledding on this property, there would be no shortage of consensus on whose property it belongs to then, would there?

I believe there are laws in this state to protect property owners in cases like this.

S

shagger

I understand where your comming from, not trying to be funny but one big tree laying across the hill would stop it also and cheaper than a fence.

He would get in more trouble cutting the tree down without a permit than he would allowing the kids to get run over!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I believe there are laws in this state to protect property owners in cases like this.

I don't think so. It's called an "attractive nuisance", similar to if you had a pool or a trampoline in your yard. Some little kid comes wandering along and drowns in your pool, indeed you are liable. That's why they sell insurance for that.

I'm not the type who would care if kids came and sledded up my excellent hill (if I had one). BUT if there is a danger involved, like the street and blind corners, I'd have to tell them no way. Used to be you could go to the neighbor's house and sled, and if you got hurt your Mom and Dad didn't sue the neighbor. Not so these days.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I don't think so. It's called an "attractive nuisance", similar to if you had a pool or a trampoline in your yard. Some little kid comes wandering along and drowns in your pool, indeed you are liable. That's why they sell insurance for that.

I'm not the type who would care if kids came and sledded up my excellent hill (if I had one). BUT if there is a danger involved, like the street and blind corners, I'd have to tell them no way. Used to be you could go to the neighbor's house and sled, and if you got hurt your Mom and Dad didn't sue the neighbor. Not so these days.

Exactly.

Gigi22

If that property is yours than you have the right to say who and who cannot be on it. I bet if one of those people were hurt or killed they would come back and sue the heck out of your because it was your property.. I think some people think they can do what ever they want and they don't give a poop what you say... Its all about them.. Put your signs up and make sure that you follow through.. Stand up for your rights..

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

You have goofy kids in your neighborhood if they're trying to sled up a hill. :lmao:

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.

Exactly, and everyone is so sue-happy these days it is sickening. The same people claiming that the OP's hill is "community" property would probably sue him/her in a heartbeat if one of their kids hurt themselves.

S

shagger

Is this what Obama is referring to when he speaks of redistributing the wealth - your hill is my hill!
:yahoo:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
or if you have seagulls nearby, throw out a lot of stale break crumbs and stuff.

:lmao: Excellent idea. Just break whatever stuff you put out there. I tossed stale donuts out one day for the seagulls. I thought they would pick at them... nope... seagull was sitting in a tree with a powdered donut in its' mouth. I was wishing I had a camera.... really funny!