Slow day for DNR?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I guess everything out on the water and in the woods is good today because DNR is running a speed trap in Piney Point across the road from the boat ramp. At least two vehicles and 3-4 officers.

Once again wrong time of day though. Never during morning or evening rush.

Clem72

I guess everything out on the water and in the woods is good today because DNR is running a speed trap in Piney Point across the road from the boat ramp. At least two vehicles and 3-4 officers.

Once again wrong time of day though. Never during morning or evening rush.
They doing it in Clements too, right where it drops from 50 to 25.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There's a 25 zone in Clements?! I guess I've just been damned lucky for the last 45 years.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How is that DNR jurisdiction, and not St. Mary's Sheriff, since it's a road?
NRP jurisdiction is statewide. And, by law, "An employee so commissioned and assigned law enforcement duties has and may exercise the powers of a Natural Resources police officer or a law enforcement officer of the State."
DNR was the first "police" force in the state. They claim they have more powers than the State Police.
I think that comes from them being able to enforce laws in the city of Baltimore. At one time (and maybe still) the State Police couldn't enforce laws within the limits of Baltimore, but NRP was allowed due to the marine aspect.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
NRP jurisdiction is statewide. And, by law, "An employee so commissioned and assigned law enforcement duties has and may exercise the powers of a Natural Resources police officer or a law enforcement officer of the State."

I think that comes from them being able to enforce laws in the city of Baltimore. At one time (and maybe still) the State Police couldn't enforce laws within the limits of Baltimore, but NRP was allowed due to the marine aspect.
They can on State roads.

Bare-ya-cuda

I have seen them do the same on Indian bridge at the state park parking areas. Hiding in the edge of the woods at the entrance with their radar gun.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I learned that numerous Piney Point locals lodged formal complaints with the sherriff's office about speeders, and I'm betting the new DNR traffic enforcement activities are a direct result of that. That and I suspect some sort of meeting where the State PoPo and sherrif's office pointed at DNR and said "Whyn't you guys do some traffic enforcement? Yr just parked at the bridge hanging out looking for fishing violations all the time anyway"."

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I learned that numerous Piney Point locals lodged formal complaints with the sherriff's office about speeders, and I'm betting the new DNR traffic enforcement activities are a direct result of that. That and I suspect some sort of meeting where the State PoPo and sherrif's office pointed at DNR and said "Whyn't you guys do some traffic enforcement? Yr just parked at the bridge hanging out looking for fishing violations all the time anyway"."
We need them at Bushwood Wharf where everything big enough to bite a hook or get tangled in a crab net goes into a cooler. Not only do these bastards monopolize the fishing areas, but they rape the river with every visit. Not to mention destruction of property by cutting up the piling caps to turn them into rod holders. :burning:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We need them at Bushwood Wharf where everything big enough to bite a hook or get tangled in a crab net goes into a cooler. Not only do these bastards monopolize the fishing areas, but they rape the river with every visit. Not to mention destruction of property by cutting up the piling caps to turn them into rod holders. :burning:
That's the main reason they are at the Piney Point landing and park too. That and its also where a lot of watermen go in and out every day.

curly-locks

I liked it better when we just policed ourselves ......