Slowpaw

RPMDAD

#5 of 5 Christmas builds. I want to keep this one so bad but I already promised it to somebody else.
Hope everybody has a great holiday.
:buddies:

wharf rat as always great build very nice work, and am just starting to get a sense of how much work and the time involved you put in to each one.. Just learned accidently my SIL bought me a $50.. gift cert at cbgitty for Christmas, so my second build will be coming up soon.
Hope you and yours have great holidays and i am sure i will be asking you some questions on the 2nd build, and picking your brain some. Thanks again for all the info. on the first build you were a great help. :buddies:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Thank you sir.

I hate to let it go but it's for a neighbor so I'll get to see and play it. If you see that style of Punch box, grab it. They sound great.

Hey, lucky you. $50 in Gitty bucks. Nice!

Anytime with the help. I have someone who lets me pick their brain and I"m still doing it.

Been working on a 4 string over the last few months for myself. With the Christmas builds done, I can concentrate on it and playing a bit more.

Magnetic pickups are next.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
A gift to myself.
Fretted 4 string with magnetic pickup and volume control.
Finished on Christmas day.

Attachments

• The Beast 014.jpg
    The Beast 014.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 361
  • The Beast 028.jpg
    The Beast 028.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 337
  • The Beast 035.jpg
    The Beast 035.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 363

RPMDAD

wharf rat great build, i bet there will be a big difference between the piezo pu, and the magnetic pu. Looks beautiful. Like i had mentioned before S.I.L. gave me a $50.00 gift certificate from cbgitty for Christmas, also got a base model cbgitty cbg guitar build kit,, came with a Romeo and Julieta cigar box. Meanwhile sonster and i were at a friends house today, and were telling him about the cigar box build. He says oh i have an old cigar box around here you can have, and brings out the mother of all cigar boxes i have seen yet. A Macanudo Cabinet Selection 2000 box, it is beautiful and measures 12.5 inchches by 10 inches by 4 inches deep. I definitely want to get a lot more experience before i even think about working on that one.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
That's a coveted box in the CBG world you have there. Looking forward to seeing your builds. That kit should spell it out pretty well.

I'm in a whole new place with this last one. Total control of my sound. The peizos have their place but mags are it.
This one's a Harrison Art Deco.

The way a friend puts it: "A Harrison pickup sounds like it was wrapped in oilskin and buried at the crossroads at midnight during a full moon, sometime around 1938, then dug up by an old hounddog and dumped in your git... in other words, it sounds purty darn good."

I couldn't agree more.

I recycled today and saved a slide.

Attachments

• Slide 004.jpg
    Slide 004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 355

RPMDAD

A gift to myself.
Fretted 4 string with magnetic pickup and volume control.
Finished on Christmas day.

wharf rat, looking at your 4 string cbg son, and i had a question. We were under the impression you glued the neck to the bottom of the cigar box lid. Not sure how you mounted the pickup. went to
Items For Sale: Hand Wound Guitar Pickups, Custom Made Guitar Pickups

and looked at the pickup and not sure how it mounts between the bottom of the box lid with ehe neck being glued on to the bottom of the lid. I like the way you adjusted the string tree on the 4 string vs the way you do it on your 3 stringers.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Notice the notch?
I don't glue the neck to the lid anymore. My first few I did but this is one of those no rules thing. More important for the acoustic side of things but in general I feel it kills the sound.
I'll glue it where it runs through the top and bottom of the box on the sides. The back of the 4 string neck was glued to the bottom of the box but it just worked out that I could do it like that.
Actually, I don't even like the lid touching the neck except at the very top and bottom where it enters and or exits. I use corner and side blocks to secure the lid.
The curvy pieces you see were already in the box. Cigar dividers.

You're most likely doing a neck through. The second pic is what you want along with a notch for the pup.
Notice in the 3rd pic the small gap between the neck and lid. That's what I prefer.
With all that said, I've played plenty of glued neck to lids that sound great in their own way.
No Rules. That's what I love about this stuff.

Attachments

• The Beast 007.jpg
    The Beast 007.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 355
  • BoxRecess.jpg
    BoxRecess.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Roys.jpg
    Roys.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Back to the basics. A simple weekend build.
Haven't had time for much of anything lately.
Slow Hound herself (Darla) is not doing well (neck injury) so we kept things quiet this weekend. While the wife kept things calm I kept myself busy outside with this.

Attachments

• Garcia 020.jpg
    Garcia 020.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Garcia 013.jpg
    Garcia 013.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Garcia 016.jpg
    Garcia 016.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 275

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Something a little different. 3 string electric Jack Daniels tin. Double piezo under the bridge, straight wired. Just finished this morning.

Attachments

• Jack Tin 015.jpg
    Jack Tin 015.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Jack Tin 019.jpg
    Jack Tin 019.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 304

frequentflier

happy to be living
Back to the basics. A simple weekend build.
Haven't had time for much of anything lately.
Slow Hound herself (Darla) is not doing well (neck injury) so we kept things quiet this weekend. While the wife kept things calm I kept myself busy outside with this.

Nice work, WharfRat. Hope everything is ok with Darla.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
wharf rat, as always great looking guitars, nice work. How is Darla doing??

She's much better today, Still have to keep her away from the others as she's not suppose to rough it up much. Not sure what happend but it's definitely her neck. She was in a lot of pain last week and just not herself. Been on meds for the last week and they, along with keeping her away from the others seems to have helped, . Hoping it's nothing permanent but only time will tell.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Silver and Gold.

Was ask by a local business to build one but I couldn't decide what color hardware looked better so now they'll have a choice (or they'll want both:whistle:).

The silver toned one has a bolt on neck and both have newly configured internal pickups. The tones just keep getting better and better.

One or both may have protective corners added later, but for now I'm against it.

Attachments

• Silver and Gold 017.jpg
    Silver and Gold 017.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 354
  • Silver and Gold 026.jpg
    Silver and Gold 026.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Silver and Gold 028.jpg
    Silver and Gold 028.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 363

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Here's Darla and her friend Lilly. Bella makes an appearence at the end. Simple 3 string with a piezo pickup.

Lazy Days - YouTube

Me in the shed just noodling on my 4 string with a magnetic pickup.
At or around the 1:10 mark you may need to adjust your volume up a little bit.

Shed sounds 2 - YouTube

Last edited:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Been sidelined from any hobbies lately. Started the Cohiba 3 months ago and was finally able to get her finished up. While waiting for things to dry I went ahead and built another one.
The Cohiba is fretted with a piezo pickup. The Lil Mojo is a fretless acoustic.

Attachments

• Lil Mojo 005.jpg
    Lil Mojo 005.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Lil Mojo 004.jpg
    Lil Mojo 004.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Cohiba 025.jpg
    Cohiba 025.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Cohiba 018.jpg
    Cohiba 018.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Cohiba 017.jpg
    Cohiba 017.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Cigar box dulcimer I made for my wife. Black walnut neck with a poplar fretboard and internal piezo pickup.

Attachments

• DSCF0067.jpg
    DSCF0067.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg