Smoked Prime Rib

Was watching PBS last evening, and this guy was really into smoking. Everything. Including the cheesecake desert.

But I digress... He made a smoked prime rib that I have to try. He used an entire prime rib rack, 7-8 ribs, on a rotisserie over maple wood. He let the internal temp get to 100-110*, then took it off. After resting, he cut down the ribs making a traditional thick prime rib steak, but threw them back on the wood fire to sear both sides.

It looked SO good.

I had a great smoked prime rib in upstate NY, and have been trying to duplicate it for a long time. That one was fairly thin, but still really tasty.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've smoke prime rib roasts before and they are seriously good. The trick, as you said above, is to only smoke it long enough to get the flavor but not cook it all the way. Then you cut the steaks thick and hit them on a blazing high grill just to char the outside and keep them med-rare inside.

Was watching PBS last evening, and this guy was really into smoking. Everything. Including the cheesecake desert.

But I digress... He made a smoked prime rib that I have to try. He used an entire prime rib rack, 7-8 ribs, on a rotisserie over maple wood. He let the internal temp get to 100-110*, then took it off. After resting, he cut down the ribs making a traditional thick prime rib steak, but threw them back on the wood fire to sear both sides.

It looked SO good.

I had a great smoked prime rib in upstate NY, and have been trying to duplicate it for a long time. That one was fairly thin, but still really tasty.

I have been wanting to do this. No rotisserie for the smoker though, then I want to rotisserie it on the grill until done.

I have been wanting to do this. No rotisserie for the smoker though, then I want to rotisserie it on the grill until done.

I have the rotisserie for the gas grill, and a smoker box for it. Went out today to look for a nice prime rib, but no one had any. I guess they get sold out for Sunday dinners. Had to settle for turkey chili and twice baked 'taters with corn bread.