Snake Identification

Black-Francis

BTW, you might want to share this information with whomever is deciding to keep this snake.

Protection Efforts
All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Remember, snakes are a part of our natural world and should be left there unharmed. They are fascinating creatures worthy of our respect and admiration. Please enjoy and help protect Maryland’s snakes and their habitats!

Checklist of the Snakes in Maryland

Common

Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta)

Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis)

Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platyrhinos)

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula getula)

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum)

Eastern Ribbon Snake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus)

Eastern Worm Snake (Carphophis amoenus amoenus)

Northern Black Racer (Coluber constrictor constrictor)

Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi dekayi)

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen)

Northern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus edwardsi)

Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon)

Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus)

Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys vernalis vernalis)

Southern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus punctatus)

Yeah, see.....according to that list I would go with the brown snake.

Black-Francis

:smack: I know that. That snake looks nothing like a copperhead. I was teasing you about your post.

Rush to judgement....Baby copperheads can be pale like that with very light patterns....But closely looking at the eyes and head shape made me change my mind....Thanks for looking out though!

Cowgirl

Rush to judgement....Baby copperheads can be pale like that with very light patterns....But closely looking at the eyes and head shape made me change my mind....Thanks for looking out though!

Exactly. I thought your first post was a joke.

Zguy28

BTW, you might want to share this information with whomever is deciding to keep this snake.

Protection Efforts
All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Remember, snakes are a part of our natural world and should be left there unharmed. They are fascinating creatures worthy of our respect and admiration. Please enjoy and help protect Maryland’s snakes and their habitats!
I got news...if Copperhead is in my yard he's getting decapitated with a shovel. Other snakes I have no problem with.

I'd rather face the penalty than have one of my three small children perish because of being bitten.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Here are some better pictures. Had to re-size them though, so they lost something in the translation. Seems to be digging the above-ground pool I put in. :yahoo:

Attachments

• snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 188
  • snake3.jpg
    snake3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Here are some better pictures. Had to re-size them though, so they lost something in the translation. Seems to be digging the above-ground pool I put in. :yahoo:
Full grown brown snake. had one as a pet in college. Caught it in a gutter while stumbling back to campus after a night of drinking.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Fast Eddie, the snake, has just downed two worms and a slug. Thanks to everyone who helped! I'll be looking into a heat lamp this afternoon.

To me it looks like a Texas Brown Snake, not the Northern that we supposedly have around here. He's not anywhere near as dark and his facial markings match the Texan version. Strange.

Last edited:
B

Beaver-Cleaver

Fast Eddie, the snake, has just downed two worms and a slug. Thanks to everyone who helped! I'll be looking into a heat lamp this afternoon.

To me it looks like a Texas Brown Snake, not the Northern that we supposedly have around here. He's not anywhere near as dark and his facial markings match the Texan version. Strange.

It's Bush's fault. :killingme

Black-Francis

Full grown brown snake. had one as a pet in college. Caught it in a gutter while stumbling back to campus after a night of drinking.

They are much like an Eastern King Snake....very docile.....although any snake can smell your fear of them and will bite.

Black-Francis

Brown Snakes can be anywhere from dark brown to light brown to a grey color...just depends on their environment/surroundings.

Bushy23

So you are just going to ignore the post/fact that it is illegal to be doing what you are doing without a permit? Nice.