So Kislyak was influencing who?

SamSpade

It is untrue in and of itself to say that Sessions did not have communications with the Russians.

Because he mistakenly understood the question to mean, were you contacting the Russians while you were representing Trump and not have you ever spoken to a Russian official in all of your political career. A mistake oddly enough, made by many accusing Democrats within the last couple weeks.

But this is pointless. It has the feel of McCarthy and HUAC trying to pin a communist connection on someone.
If you've ever had to testify in court, you can be cross examined by a jerk lawyer who tries to make stating your name a LIE.
I've had my testimony stretched all over the place, because if you don't answer the question precisely, they'll wreck you - and if you DO, they'll call you evasive.

ULTIMATELY I would think the point is to find a link between something the Russians actually DID to influence either the election or the incoming administration and someone in Trump's campaign or circle of advisers. But all that's happened so far is, someone may have actually talked to a Russian - and forgot about it - or they didn't answer an innocuous question accurately.

At least, when you investigate a murder - you're solving a crime.
They're looking for a crime, and nailing people because their testimony is incomplete.
About a crime that isn't there.

Midnightrider

Because he mistakenly understood the question to mean, were you contacting the Russians while you were representing Trump and not have you ever spoken to a Russian official in all of your political career. A mistake oddly enough, made by many accusing Democrats within the last couple weeks.

But this is pointless. It has the feel of McCarthy and HUAC trying to pin a communist connection on someone.
If you've ever had to testify in court, you can be cross examined by a jerk lawyer who tries to make stating your name a LIE.
I've had my testimony stretched all over the place, because if you don't answer the question precisely, they'll wreck you - and if you DO, they'll call you evasive.

ULTIMATELY I would think the point is to find a link between something the Russians actually DID to influence either the election or the incoming administration and someone in Trump's campaign or circle of advisers. But all that's happened so far is, someone may have actually talked to a Russian - and forgot about it - or they didn't answer an innocuous question accurately.

At least, when you investigate a murder - you're solving a crime.
They're looking for a crime, and nailing people because their testimony is incomplete.
About a crime that isn't there.

I don't think I called what Sessions did a lie. It was untrue and he has corrected it in public. As long as he is able to do so under oath if asked to I have no issue with him continuing in his job. He has already recused himself AND admitted he should have answered differently. The oath he took was something like 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'. Parsing the question no excuse for not giving a FULLY TRUTHFUL answer.

As for the investigation, you are probably right. But if there weren't so many inconsistencies coming from the trump camp about contact with Russians there would be no story. All you would have is obama conspiring to get trump. Instead people on trumps side added fuel to the fire with their actions.

This_person

Jesus Christ...how efffing stupid are you people?

HERE IS THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED:

That's it...that's the question...exactly as it was asked. Mr. Sessions WAS NOT ASKED IF HE WAS IN CONTACT WITH RUSSIANS...you freaking twit.

He was asked what he would do [B]AS ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES[/B] if he was presented with evidence that a campaign member had been in contact with Russians. He was, in case you have forgotten, applying for the job as ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES.

Mr. Sessions, who has been in the Senate for more than 2 decades and who served prior to that as Attorney General for Alabama and an Assistant United States Attorney. He's been a lawyer for over 40 years!!

This isn't the case of sum rube caught in the political spotlight of DC. He IS the political spotlight of DC.

His answer was easy. He was a member of the campaign...his answer should have been "I will recuse myself from any such investigation". Simple...so freaking easy...even idiots like you and the rest of the crew SHOULD understand.

But no he said: "I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I didn't have — did not have communications with the Russians, and I'm unable to comment on it,"

He was asked if he was a surrogate. He wasn't asked if he had been in communication with the Russians. He offered that he had not been in communication and he gave false testimony. Do you get it yet???

He was asked if he had communications with the Russians in the context of Trump surrogates. The WHOLE question went like this:
Stuart Smiley said:
CNN just published a story alleging that the intelligence community provided documents to the president-elect last week, that included information that “Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump.” These documents also allegedly say “there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government.” Again, I’m telling you this as it’s coming out, so, you know.

But if it’s true, it’s obviously extremely serious, and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?

[Sidebar: "I'm telling you this as it's coming out" sounds like "CNN tells us #### they're going to publish so we can ambush you", but maybe that's just logical thinking....]

So, the question was in reference to surrogates, and you gave the actual answer - which was in references to him acting as a surrogate.

But, and this is not very shocking, you missed another chance to attack him, because there is information IN WRITING!!!!

Senator Leahy also asked: "Several of the President-Elect’s nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after Election Day?"

Sessions response: "No."

Again, asked in reference to surrogates and in context of the election.

Asked, answered, time to move on folks.

This_person

I don't think I called what Sessions did a lie. It was untrue and he has corrected it in public. As long as he is able to do so under oath if asked to I have no issue with him continuing in his job. He has already recused himself AND admitted he should have answered differently. The oath he took was something like 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'. Parsing the question no excuse for not giving a FULLY TRUTHFUL answer.

As for the investigation, you are probably right. But if there weren't so many inconsistencies coming from the trump camp about contact with Russians there would be no story. All you would have is obama conspiring to get trump. Instead people on trumps side added fuel to the fire with their actions.

Parsing the answer is all that's being done on both sides of this question. Does any reasonable person think that a sitting senator on the intelligence committee, and all of the other committees on which he's sat, and all the state dinners he has been to, and all the trips he has taken, has never spoken with a russian government official? That would be beyond stupid.

So, putting the question in context makes sense to do. So, it is not exactly parsing the question to have it in context now, is it?