So sick of pan handlers

KingFish

Nothing to see here
When I left Baltimore Sound Stage last night, there was a pan handler waiting across the street for people going into the parking garage. They know where the masses are and ready to attack like the Spanish inquisition to get your money.

3CATSAILOR

Is pan handling illegal in any way? Yesterday I had someone approach me inside of a store, never had that before.

I am so damned sick of getting calls for donations, people coming to my door wanting donations, telemarketers, being asked at the cash register if I would like to donate to whatever, and the run of the mill junkie wanting to "borrow" some money.
When they call, I talk to them in Chinese. Of course they don't know Chinese. Therefore, they hang up pretty quickly. This has significantly reduced all of this type of calling.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
New sign at the Rt4/FDR intersection.
20230807_121705.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There's one who stations herself on the median between the Shell station and the Gate 1 entry road.
Sign reads something like: Tough Times - Please Help.
Funny thing, a different set of clean, new looking clothes every day.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Funny thing, a different set of clean, new looking clothes every day.
That's the big tipoff to me. I realize there are places the homeless can go for a meal and shower, but a fresh change of clothes daily, manicured clean nails and face hair, shoes without holes, messy but clean hair.... And they don't seem to care about being seen with all these red flags, because people will still willingly give them money.

TPD

the poor dad
After reading the article in the County Times last week, it got me to thinking - St. Mary's City has signs on the shoulder of the road stating "No Standing". Is this legal? I know panhandling is a 1st amendment protected activity, but if the state can erect "no standing" signs on the shoulder of a public highway, and enforce them, then why can't they erect the same signs in the median and enforce it? Something tells me, with the right attorney, one could have the signs in St. Mary's City removed. What's the harm in standing on the shoulder of the road and watch the sunset over the river if there is no harm standing in the middle of the road begging for money?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
St. Mary's City has signs on the shoulder of the road stating "No Standing". Is this legal?
I think that means you can pickup or offload passengers but you can't load or unload a vehicle.