Sobriety Checkpoint

Kerad

:yeahthat: When I was bartending they would do that when I was on my way home from work. High beams on and right on my butt. I always thought that was a little like entrapment. They blind you and scare you into some little swerve. Then they pull you over.

Years ago a Tampa, FL cop told me that's pretty routine. They'll see someone pull out of a bar late at night, and they'll just follow them closely...whether or not the driver had done anything wrong.

They figure that the driver will get nervous, and spend so much time looking in the rearview mirror that they're bound to do something wrong...thus giving the cop his "reason" to initiate a stop.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Selfish much?

You want enforcement, but you don't want to be inconvenienced?

I've never seen a checkpoint that took longer than one minute to get through. That's a pretty minor inconvenience, and doesn't really even count as a delay. If the checkpoint catches a drunk, or even better scares them enough not to drive, then it is worth one minute of my life.

only a minute?

I've never experienced a checkpoint, but what exactly do they do? Do you just pull up and they check your id, talk a little to see if your breath smells like alcohol, then go from there..or do they actually brethalyze every person who goes through there?

MMDad

Lem Putt
So if someone is driving and must drive upto and stop and a sobriety checkpoint are they required to answer any questions the police ask?

Must a person show any ID?

Get the drunks off the road, however delaying honest citizens is simply wrong.

§ 16-112. License to be carried and exhibited on demand; giving of false name prohibited.

(a) "Display" defined.- In this section, "display" means the manual surrender of the licensee's license into the hands of the demanding officer for inspection.

(b) Carrying license with driver.- Each individual driving a motor vehicle on any highway in this State shall have his license with him.

(c) Display to uniformed police officers.- Each individual driving a motor vehicle on any highway in this State shall display the license to any uniformed police officer who demands it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
only a minute?

I've never experienced a checkpoint, but what exactly do they do? Do you just pull up and they check your id, talk a little to see if your breath smells like alcohol, then go from there..or do they actually brethalyze every person who goes through there?

The ones I've been through the stop and talk to you, tell you what they are doing, and observe you. Then I was allowed to pass. They did not ask for ID. They cannot search you (including breathalyzer) without cause, such as odor of alcohol, slurred speech, etc.

Cowgirl

Years ago a Tampa, FL cop told me that's pretty routine. They'll see someone pull out of a bar late at night, and they'll just follow them closely...whether or not the driver had done anything wrong.

They figure that the driver will get nervous, and spend so much time looking in the rearview mirror that they're bound to do something wrong...thus giving the cop his "reason" to initiate a stop.

I thought that was illegal.....intimidation or something? :shrug: