Sobriety Checkpoints and Saturation Patrols

Jbeckman

Starting tonight, Maryland State Police and Sheriff's Office in all three Southern Maryland Counties will be conducted Sobriety Checkpoints and saturation patrols under funding through the NHTSA and Maryland Highway Safety Office Checkpoint Strikeforce grant.

In addition to this weekend filled enforcement operation, throughout the next 2 weeks or so, all counties in Maryland will randomly be conducting the same. Checkpoints serve as an opportunity to deter would be impaired drivers, make the public aware of impaired driving enforcement and detecting impaired drivers who pass through the checkpoint.

During a checkpoint between 6:50 p.m and 7:50 p.m. the MSP Leonardtown and St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office conducted a sobriety checkpoint along Route 234. This was followed by a saturation patrol.

Although the timeline of the sobriety checkpoint may appear to be early in the evening to detect or arrest impaired drivers, it is worth sharing three persons were arrested for DUI/DWI during the checkpoint event alone. THere were 5 suspected persons pulled to the side for testing. Only 205 vehicles passed through the checkpoint.

Community members are requested to report suspected impaired drivers on the roadways by calling #77 or 911 on your cell phone. If you or someone you know have been consuming alcohol, consider designating a driver, calling a cab, or asking your bartender about tipsy taxi. Just don't get behind the wheel.

Jbeckman

JUST FYI

Maryland State Police- Leonardtown Weekly DUI Status Sheet August 20 thru August 26:

Paul Frederic Powell, 59, of Hollywood on 8/20/09 by Tpr. E. J. Page

Brian Thomas Smith, 28, of Mechanicsville on 8/20/09 by TFC E. M. Evans

Sean William McCleaf, 42, of Leonardtown on 8/20/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

Robyn Lynn Harding, 22, of Mechanicsville on 8/21/09 by Tpr. B. T. Wiesemann

Jesse James Rayford, Jr., 36, of Lexington Park on 8/21/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

David Alan Shaffier, 32, of Lusby on 8/21/09 by Tpr. W. S. Jefferson

Ohmer Watson Webb, 4th, 25, of Mechanicsville on 8/22/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

Diosdado Diaz, 26, of California on 8/23/09 by Tpr. E. J. Page

Teresa Gayl Holcombe, 45, of Avenue on 8/23/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

C

cphase43

Lots of officers along Route 235 California and Hollywood area. Many troopers. Be careful.

Jbeckman

Just an update.
Sobriety Checkpoint had 221 vehicles pass through. 3 were pulled to side for testing.
2 were arrested for DUI/DWI.
1 at .11
1 at .20
the .20 was driving his son in the vehicle.
this was between 6:50 p.m. and 7:50 p.m. today.
Now officers have been assigned to saturation areas between Leonardtown, Loveville, Mech, Hollywood, California, back to Route 4 and all between.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JUST FYI

Maryland State Police- Leonardtown Weekly DUI Status Sheet August 20 thru August 26:

Paul Frederic Powell, 59, of Hollywood on 8/20/09 by Tpr. E. J. Page

Brian Thomas Smith, 28, of Mechanicsville on 8/20/09 by TFC E. M. Evans

Sean William McCleaf, 42, of Leonardtown on 8/20/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

Robyn Lynn Harding, 22, of Mechanicsville on 8/21/09 by Tpr. B. T. Wiesemann

Jesse James Rayford, Jr., 36, of Lexington Park on 8/21/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

David Alan Shaffier, 32, of Lusby on 8/21/09 by Tpr. W. S. Jefferson

Diosdado Diaz, 26, of California on 8/23/09 by Tpr. E. J. Page

Teresa Gayl Holcombe, 45, of Avenue on 8/23/09 by Tpr. N. E. Gresko

Dang ! they done nabbed Jesse James ! :yay:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you

Dang! They got Uncle Ohmer again!:faint:

Mama_Mia08

I am actually glad they do this. I know too many people who have been hit by drunks and are still suffereing. Including my Mom from 20 years ago. They got all those people that early in the evening???? So crazy! Really, 1-2 beers or a glass of wine would not usually put someone over the limit so most of these people had to be at it for awhile. All the people they arrested for DUI/DWI will most likely be out driving again under the influence if they aren't already. Obviously MD laws aren't tough enough.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just an update.
Sobriety Checkpoint had 221 vehicles pass through. 3 were pulled to side for testing.
2 were arrested for DUI/DWI.
1 at .11
1 at .20
the .20 was driving his son in the vehicle.
this was between 6:50 p.m. and 7:50 p.m. today.
Now officers have been assigned to saturation areas between Leonardtown, Loveville, Mech, Hollywood, California, back to Route 4 and all between.

as I mentioned in another thread I went thru one of these checkpoints on Rt 5, just north of Charlotte Hall. The officer (Trooper) handed me a nice leaflet and I was on my way. Of course there was a two mile long (or longer) traffice backup as it was narrowed down to 1 lane and hten stopped.

My ONLY complaint, and reinforced from the data above, is that the check point is to early. The checkpoint I hit was setup before rush hour, I noticed it on my way up to Waldorf and it was still light when I was stopped going south.
Great idea but if you really want to teach the drunk drivers (or buzzed drivers) a lesson, do it later in the evning. It's like they get the people on their way home from work, not on their way home from the bar.

Jbeckman

The main purpose of checkpoints are to raise awareness that officers are looking for and to deter persons from driving impaired. However, it is effective for detecting those who are impaired at various times of the day. There have been DUI arrest in early morning (you know, going to work time, not closing of the bar time). This was followed by saturation patrols.

If only 1% of the population passing through this one checkpoint were arrested, consider if 1% of the population were driving impaired at any time of the day.

Have gotten DUI/DWI arrests early afternoon, happy hour, daytime during the work week, and nighttime.

Had conducted a checkpoint in CH (same location) months apart, same times, first one run for 2 hours, will 3 arrests...second one, didn't finish an hour of the operation before running out of officers for the arrests made. Would have been great to have a mobile command with intoximeter to hold and process and get the officers back on the line. There were 3 DUI/DWI, 1 CDS, 1 Warrant and another arrest DUI/DWI as one officer left the site after just breaking down.

First one about 400+ cars/vehicles (2 impaired ) = less than 1 %
Second one, just about 200 cars/vehicles (4 impaired - counting CDS) = 2%

Getting one impaired driver off the roadways is well worth it. Officers need to look, smell and listen at each vehicle.

RoadKill

The main purpose of checkpoints are to raise awareness that officers are looking for and to deter persons from driving impaired. However, it is effective for detecting those who are impaired at various times of the day. There have been DUI arrest in early morning (you know, going to work time, not closing of the bar time). This was followed by saturation patrols.

If only 1% of the population passing through this one checkpoint were arrested, consider if 1% of the population were driving impaired at any time of the day.

Have gotten DUI/DWI arrests early afternoon, happy hour, daytime during the work week, and nighttime.

Had conducted a checkpoint in CH (same location) months apart, same times, first one run for 2 hours, will 3 arrests...second one, didn't finish an hour of the operation before running out of officers for the arrests made. Would have been great to have a mobile command with intoximeter to hold and process and get the officers back on the line. There were 3 DUI/DWI, 1 CDS, 1 Warrant and another arrest DUI/DWI as one officer left the site after just breaking down.

Getting one impaired driver off the roadways is well worth it. Officers need to look, smell and listen at each vehicle.

I'll gladly wait in traffic for you to do whatever you need to do. We use the designated driver approach and have found the cops to be really courteous when we've been stopped. It is really sad to see those tagged with a violation standing along the side of the road in tears. Lots of time and money lost over a bad decision.

eddy1

I call :bs: on that chart. From 190 to 230+ pounds is all the same. Someone 230 lbs can drink more than someone at 190. Here is a more accurate calculator. The Original Blood Alcohol Calculator | BAC Calculator | Calculate BAC - Blood Alcohol Calculator

I can have 4 beers in 1 hour and only be a .06. Legal.
That's pretty cool. I wonder how accurate it is. I don't drink and drive at all. I think the dui laws in Maryland have become unfair. An officer can legally arrest somone for a dui if they are above an .05.

SoccerMom2

A drunk driver hit my brother in 1997. Ripped half his face off. They had to shock him 3 times to bring back to life. He has problems with one of his eyes. He can't open it all the way. He has small scars on his face and one huge one running up and down his face where they had to sew his face together. We had to drug him to get in a car to go to physical therapy and etc.. He didn't drive for a year. All of this because some jerk wanted to have a few drinks and drive. I am glad he is alive but all of this good of been avoided if the other driver didn't drink and drive.

ewashkow

I think that setting up checkpoints during rush hour is fine. Yes, it is annoying to the people that really have no need to be stopped but clearly, enough people enjoyed the sauce before going home to make it worthwhile.

MRCA

I think that is is great that Officers are doing this. Drunk Driving is one of my pet peeves. I ALWAYS call in a car if I think they are impaired, but it seems like I am wasting my time because of all the people I have called in I've only seen ONE actually get pulled over. It's not like officers aren't around because I have seen them pass after I have called them in.

Checkpoints are great! I fully support them. The only thing is don't warn people when and where they will be because they will just avoid that area if they have been drinking. It needs to be a surprise, I think officers could get more people. BUT even if you only get ONE it's a start!

Officers BE SAFE and THANK YOU!

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I think that is is great that Officers are doing this. Drunk Driving is one of my pet peeves. I ALWAYS call in a car if I think they are impaired, but it seems like I am wasting my time because of all the people I have called in I've only seen ONE actually get pulled over. It's not like officers aren't around because I have seen them pass after I have called them in.

Checkpoints are great! I fully support them. The only thing is don't warn people when and where they will be because they will just avoid that area if they have been drinking. It needs to be a surprise, I think officers could get more people. BUT even if you only get ONE it's a start!

Officers BE SAFE and THANK YOU!

The police need to observe the vehicle before they can actually initiate a traffic stop. I think the only exception to that rule is if there had been multiple calls on the same vehicle.