Solar Energy System For Home

ylexot

Super Genius
He lives in Maine. I think in Maryland, you have to buy solar but, aren't allowed to use it at all.

:lmao:

Yeah, I think it's silly to stupid that they don't allow it. It's not like it is very complicated to switch power based on a set of conditions. I understand the issue is that they don't want Harry Homeowner putting power to the transmissions lines (accidentally or not) and zapping some lineman trying to restore power to the area. And because of that, I'd even be ok if they allowed it only with approved switching systems.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah, it is. My uncle has it.

He goes to batteries, automatically, when the main power is out because he automatically gets chopped from the local power for safety reasons mentioned.

Then, if his batts are running down, he can direct his solar cells to recharge the batts and, can, by doing some more flipping, send his cells direct to his panel, still isolated from the grid.

Also, his batts, and their gear, take less room than a refrigerator.

Good to know.. People we were talking to (out of California) were telling me all kinds of loony crap..

Like talking to people on the East coast it's all about saving money, and being economical..

On the West cost it's all for the children, and the environment and the whackos don't care if it costs more than what they are paying now, they want Solar, and they want it NOW!

Yeah, I think it's silly to stupid that they don't allow it. It's not like it is very complicated to switch power based on a set of conditions. I understand the issue is that they don't want Harry Homeowner putting power to the transmissions lines (accidentally or not) and zapping some lineman trying to restore power to the area. And because of that, I'd even be ok if they allowed it only with approved switching systems.

i don't see any difference at all between using an automatic transfer switch for a generator, or an automatic transfer switch for power from any other source. Makes no sense whatever.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good to know.. People we were talking to (out of California) were telling me all kinds of loony crap..

Like talking to people on the East coast it's all about saving money, and being economical..

On the West cost it's all for the children, and the environment and the whackos don't care if it costs more than what they are paying now, they want Solar, and they want it NOW!

Nah. Solar isn't about saving money or being economical at all.

My uncle just happened to have the wherewithal to do a solar home, from the ground up, and the desire to do it.

The engineering, from the all concrete floors, to the wall thickness and insulation, to the orientation to the sun, the windows, all the equipment, ground up solar and, after 18 years, it's paid for itself.

:buddies:

We are considering installing a solar energy system on our house. There are a few financial ways to do this. Just wondering if anyone out there has already gone through this process and, if they have, was it worth it as far as the savings on the electric bill and what method of financing do you recommend? Thanks for any advice you may have.

I had Solar City install a solar system on my house. It was so easy, they take care of the permits, etc. They will come out to your house and do a free consultation and recommend a system for you. All the equipment is owned by Solar City, it is basically a 20 year lease, then it's yours. The good thing about leasing is, all the equipment is their responsibility, so if anything goes wrong, it's up to them to fix it. They also give you a guaranteed savings based on your system. If it doesn't hit the projections, they refund some money. I pay $29.61 a month and figure I save an average a $90.00 savings on my electric bill. So it's about a $60.00 savings a month. I wasn't using my roof for anything anyhow. For a free consultation you can click on this link or copy and paste it in your browser for more info.

SolarCity: Affordable Solar Power

You can message me if you have any other questions and I'll help as best I can.

C

czygvtwkr

Maybe not "ideal," but SMECO just finished a 30 acre solar field in Hughesville and is seeking bids to do another one (up to 10 mega watts, 10,000 homes!)

News > SMECO Seeks Second Solar Project Proposals

I personally have not done solar on my home. I have done an energy audit and started with upgrading insulation, caulking, etc. to improve efficiency. Look hard in to the geothermal heating and cooling too.

SMECO put it in because of a Maryland law that says a certain percentage of electricity has to be generated by renewable means, not because it is economical.

Straight from your link.
Like all Maryland electric utilities, SMECO is required to procure a certain amount of renewable energy or renewable energy credits