Solar for the home

SamSpade

I'm all electric. 1 full size freezer, 3 full size fridges, 2 heat pumps, 2 washers/dryers, 5 TVs, and a king-size waterbed being constantly heated to just the right temp. I don't question why my bill is higher then others.

Me neither. Slightly fewer appliances, more computers, more TVs but they are all timed and use little power. I have absolutely zero doubt that the biggest consumption is heating and air conditioning, since my bill drops to about HALF during April/May and October/November. It increases during peak summer heat and peak winter cold.

I recognize that cost as a plain fact of life. In order for solar to be of any use to me, it needs to generate all that AC or all that heat.
It won't.

Me neither. Slightly fewer appliances, more computers, more TVs but they are all timed and use little power. I have absolutely zero doubt that the biggest consumption is heating and air conditioning, since my bill drops to about HALF during April/May and October/November. It increases during peak summer heat and peak winter cold.

I recognize that cost as a plain fact of life. In order for solar to be of any use to me, it needs to generate all that AC or all that heat.
It won't.
Yeah, we have two heat pumps one for the original house and the 2nd for the two story 30' x' 32' addition. When we have a month that goes by without having to use any heat or air we are under $200, but that is a rare thing. We are surrounded by field and trees so we turn on the AC earlier than most because we don't leave the windows open for air once the pollen kicks in to high yield. We get a better chance for though going from fall to winter. I typically don't turn on the heat until the Khona Shaved Ice temp sensitive cups change from blue to purple in cupboard. That's my indication that my hubby isn't just whining about the chill. :biggrin:

Wishbone

Crap, I feel bad when my bill is over 150, yearly average is just under 100 a month, electric heat, hot water, AC, household lights and small appliances. I do have a gas range that runs me about 10 a month.

Mine is about the same. Both the Heat Pump and A/C kill my bill.

Clem72

It won't.

I know you said you live in an older brick home, but is there any reason you haven't considered upgrading your insulation? I laid an extra layer of unfaced batts in my attic and had the outside walls redone with blown insulation and I would say it more than cut my electric bill in half during the summer. And energy upgrades also get you a tax deduction.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Homemade systems like this are far more feasible now if you use LED lighting. The difference in power draw on an LED vs any other lighting is dramatic.

Yep. Recently replaced 84 4' tubes in our shop and office building with the direct-wire (no ballast) LED tubes. Noticed the difference in the electric bill right away.

Chris0nllyn

I know you said you live in an older brick home, but is there any reason you haven't considered upgrading your insulation? I laid an extra layer of unfaced batts in my attic and had the outside walls redone with blown insulation and I would say it more than cut my electric bill in half during the summer. And energy upgrades also get you a tax deduction.

I think this is the way to go. You'd exhaust any and all energy leaks in the house for much less than a PV system.

SamSpade

There's like a quarter inch between the drywall and the cinder block the exterior brick is attached to - the cost to put blown insulation into all that space around the house would be enormous, and contractors I've had working in my house have said it is either not worth it or the cost savings would be trivial. Attic is very well insulated. I've insulated everything else myself - AND used the tax credits.

I am not bellyaching about the electrical cost - I consider it *normal*. There are about ten houses on my street with almost the same design - and they have similar costs for electricity. There are other things I can do, but I have a lot of stuff that takes higher priority. I can live with the cost of electricity. (I can get better doors and windows).

But at this moment, I'm getting constant "you should do solar" - "they didn't charge me ANYTHING!" - "why don't you call them? you'll save money" and every time I ask them about it, I get blank stares - how does a solar company put panels on your roof, charge you nothing for the install, you pay nothing - and they stay in business? Someone's not giving me a clear picture.

There's like a quarter inch between the drywall and the cinder block the exterior brick is attached to - ....

My house is similar, the ground floor and walk-out basement were cinder block with furring strips attached, hard 1" styrofoam and paneling. So far, I've ripped it down in 2 dens and the basement, down to bare cement, DryLoc'd the walls, built real 2x4 walls with insulation and 1/2" sheetrock. Just that little bit made all the difference in the world, along with new windows. I'd like to do the outside walls in my family room next.

black dog

Free America
I'm putting the same kind of system together to provide the lighting power for a new garage and storage building we're putting up on our "off the grid" island. I figured it was easier than trenching a power line the 200' from the generator shed. The component parts are pretty cheap nowadays...I bought a package deal of panels plus automatic battery charger and then some golf cart batters and a cheapo power inverter.

What's gotten popular out here for pole barn and remote buildings is the prop wind turbines. Looks like all aluminum on about a 30' pole, farmers exspecially seem to use them on buildings that just arn't convenient or cost effective to run electric to.
My place I have a old Aeromotor wind turbine that I rebuilt a few years ago to keep a remote stock tank full. My kid and I have played around with a few delcotron alternators to see what it will spin. With about 10+ mph wind I can easily spin a 90+ amp alternator.
Since I'm not their all the time I just don't want do deal with more battery's in my life.
Maybe in retirement. Have fun with your project.

PeoplesElbow

At $400/month you may come out ahead. I keep getting accosted by the solar city type people. My electric bill runs between $90-$140 dollars and my house is covered by trees, no way it would work out for me.