Solomons Bridge Jumper

MR47930

Jumper was wearing khaki pants and a blue dress shirt if I heard the scanner correctly. Someone from base? Hope it wasn't a co-worker. Victim of sequestration?

MarieB

:howdy:

I feel like I'm virtual rubbernecking.

Marie, there's not a lot to see on the bridge cam. Just the emergency vehicles and cop car lights at the top of the bridge.

I know. The first thing I thought about was pulling up he cam, and the I thought "what the hell for" :)

Thanks.

I pulled it up on the desktop.

teacherhm

I have to speak up...

I rarely bother commenting on ignorant posts, but I have to say that I am utterly disgusted by some of the comments in this thread. Instead of cracking jokes and/or complaining about the traffic that's occurred as a result of this person's desperation, why not try practicing some compassion?

No matter what your views are on suicide and whether or not it's "selfish," that poor victim clearly felt there was no other way out and was in a place much darker than many of us have probably ever felt. Not only was the victim clearly in pain, but now his family and friends are going to hear the news and their lives will be changed forever as well.

I have grown up in SoMD and typically enjoy living and working here, but I have to say that I have never been more embarrassed or ashamed of where I'm from than I was while reading some of the posts in this thread.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victim's friends and family and with all of those who felt the need to make cruel comments regarding this tragedy.

MarieB

Jumper was wearing khaki pants and a blue dress shirt if I heard the scanner correctly. Someone from base? Hope it wasn't a co-worker. Victim of sequestration?

Ugh

Somebody is going to get a terrible phone call or "visit"

I wonder how many people saw it

thurley42

HY;FR
I rarely bother commenting on ignorant posts, but I have to say that I am utterly disgusted by some of the comments in this thread. Instead of cracking jokes and/or complaining about the traffic that's occurred as a result of this person's desperation, why not try practicing some compassion?

No matter what your views are on suicide and whether or not it's "selfish," that poor victim clearly felt there was no other way out and was in a place much darker than many of us have probably ever felt. Not only was the victim clearly in pain, but now his family and friends are going to hear the news and their lives will be changed forever as well.

I have grown up in SoMD and typically enjoy living and working here, but I have to say that I have never been more embarrassed or ashamed of where I'm from than I was while reading some of the posts in this thread.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victim's friends and family and with all of those who felt the need to make cruel comments regarding this tragedy.

I feel compassion for everyone who had to wait in traffic. :shrug:

MR47930

Water is flowing to the south per Coast Guard. A lot of sirens can be heard sitting in my living room with windows open. I for one will go to sleep tonight knowing the sinus headache I've had for 3 days could be much worse.

edinsomd

Look up "Gallows Humor" in your Funk & Wagnalls, sweetie. I'm just happy the meltdown checked out alone, and didn't take any innocents along for the ride.

teacherhm

Look up "Gallows Humor" in your Funk & Wagnalls, sweetie. I'm just happy the meltdown checked out alone, and didn't take any innocents along for the ride.

"Gallow's Humor" and "considerate" are two very different things. Nevertheless, I'd argue "Gallow's Humor" and "completely unnecessary" are two of the same, "sweetie."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This:
I feel compassion for everyone who had to wait in traffic. :shrug:

And this:
... and that's why it's hard to feel compassion for someone who needs a massive audience to demonstrate their desperation :drama:

I feel nothing but disdain for the jumper - he's an ass in pretty much every way - but I do feel sympathy for any family members he might have had. Hopefully he's not leaving a wife and some kids high and dry.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Gallow's Humor" and "considerate" are two very different things. Nevertheless, I'd argue "Gallow's Humor" and "completely unnecessary" are two of the same, "sweetie."

Who is more inconsiderate:

The guy who jumped off the bridge, tying up traffic for god knows how long, and devastating his family;

or the people who are criticizing that highly inconsiderate act?

teacherhm

Who is more inconsiderate:

The guy who jumped off the bridge, tying up traffic for god knows how long, and devastating his family;

or the people who are criticizing that highly inconsiderate act?

It's not a competition- both are inconsiderate. However, in my opinion, taking your life (no matter how one chooses to do so) solicits more sensitivity than people making cruel comments on a forum.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's not a competition- both are inconsiderate. However, in my opinion, taking your life (no matter how one chooses to do so) solicits more sensitivity than people making cruel comments on a forum.

I disagree. He wanted his suicide to be highly public, and it is.

CalvertActiv

Especially if you are the owner of this website...

I'm sure I will be deleted for this comment.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So this guy completely devastates his family, traumatizes some people that actually saw him jump and inconvenienced some drivers. People feel bad for him because he was probably not in his right mind and had issues.

Say this same guy goes into a school and shoots a bunch of kids and then offs himself. Still feel bad for him? I for one am glad that he didn't take any innocent people with him.