solomons bridge

it's callicoon ny,the falls is between callicoon and narrowsburg on rt 97. born and raised in sullivan county

Ok, typo.... :lmao: Been a lot of years since I've been up there, getting canoes caught in the rip over the falls....

Suicide by bridge is gruesome, and death is almost certain. People have survived the fall, but not many. You might survive if you hit the water feet first and come in at a slight angle.

The impact is tremendous. The body goes from roughly 75 to 80 mph to nearly zero in a nanosecond. The physics of inertia being what they are, internal organs tend to keep going. The force of impact causes them to tear loose. Autopsy reports typically indicate that the jumpers have lacerated aortas, livers, spleens and hearts. Ribs are often broken, and the impact shoves them into the heart or lungs. Jumpers have broken sternums, clavicles, pelvises and necks. Skull fractures are common.

Which means you die one of two ways, or a combination of both. One, you hit the water and the impact kills you. Sometimes the jumper is knocked unconscious. Other times, the jumper survives for a time. The person can be seen flailing about in the water, trying to stay afloat, only to succumb to the extensive internal bleeding. Death can take seconds or minutes. Two, you drown. You hit the water going fast, and your body plunges in deep. Conscious or otherwise, you breathe in water and asphyxiate.

You can usually tell which bridge jumpers drowned: Frothy mucus bubbles from the nose. :howdy:

A nano second? :lmao:
From the WHDF website.
Now granted these people know what they are doing and have trained for it, but hitting the water from 100' is not always fatal.
World High Diving Federation
HIGH DIVING RECORDS

The highest dive women
In 1985, the American Lucy Wardle dove at Ocean Park in Hongkong from 120ft / 36.80 meters.

The highest dive men
In 1987, the Swiss Oliver Favre performed a double back somersault from 177ft / 53.90 meters in Villers-le-Lac, France (see Oliver's Shows - High Diving, Stunt Concept, Water Show and Creativ Design)

onebdzee

off the shelf
I've seen on Discovery the "cliff divers" diving from 100+ feet and they survive going head first into the water

It must of been really soft water they dove into :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
A nano second? :lmao:
From the WHDF website.
Now granted these people know what they are doing and have trained for it, but hitting the water from 100' is not always fatal.
World High Diving Federation

I've seen on Discovery the "cliff divers" diving from 100+ feet and they survive going head first into the water

It must of been really soft water they dove into :lol:

Maybe "controlled dive" versus "free fall"? Either way, don't think I'd want to try either!!

Gwydion

If the water is choppy (and therefore aerated), you don't get the "conrete" impat that yall are describing. Still hurts like a #####, and you definately feel some massive pulling, but not necessarily deadly.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
OMG.......are you a mortician?????:yikes:

Lol, no way! I googled it and found several articles about what happens after you jump off a bridge. I copied that from an article I found talking about jumpers from the Golden Gate bridge.

Maybe "controlled dive" versus "free fall"? Either way, don't think I'd want to try either!!

Exactly. They are trained to enter the water correctly and to tense their bodies at the moment of impact to help keep things in the right place. Sort of like fighter pilots to under high Gs, but not for the same reason.

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
Well, that settles that! No bridge jumping for me :lol:

Just could never get enough of a running start off of one of those barges to
clear the 231 Bridge...always seemed to catch my foot at the last second
on the bridge engineer tower.

"Missed it by...that much!"

Wait...you mean not jumping over it? Uh...nevermind...

-H

Last edited:
Just could never get enough of a running start off of one of those barges to
clear the 231 Bridge...always seemed to catch my foot at the last second
on the bridge engineer tower.

"Missed it by...that much!"

Wait...you mean not jumping over it? Uh...nevermind...

-H

Your suppose to jump the opening when the bridge is open - that is how I don't catch my foot!

smilin

BOXER NATION
The favorite spot in DC used to be the Calvert Memorial Bridge, They changed the name to the Duke Ellington Bridge. It is on Calvert st. and it goes over Rock Creek Park.

There is a road that runs beneath it and the best of them used to hit the center line. Once in a while on would get stuck in a tree and the Fire department had to go pick pieces from the tree.

They pretty much stopped it by putting a chain link fence along the sidewalk on the Bridge so it is difficult to climb over the fence .

A good buddy of mine was a rookie MPD cop when he saw a jumper on the Calvert bridge.
Not knowing what to do, he pulled up to the rail, hopped out of his cruiser, pulled his revolver and yelled at the jumper:
"STOP or I'll shoot!"
The jumper looked at him strangely, and got off the rail!
It's been a chuckle around DC for years.