Some new perspective on climate change

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But kind of bad for the rest of us. Sustained cold weather usually translates into less food produced, and that's always a problem on a growing planet.

Which is where greenhouses come in. Fresh, local, natural. Use the sun during the day, nuke reactor to heat it at night, power, local power, for the neighbors.

:yahoo:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Which is where greenhouses come in. Fresh, local, natural. Use the sun during the day, nuke reactor to heat it at night, power, local power, for the neighbors.

:yahoo:

The impending ice age could prove to be a huge financial windfall for you. :yay:

You going to staff up now in anticipation of the explosive growth?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The impending ice age could prove to be a huge financial windfall for you. :yay:

You going to staff up now in anticipation of the explosive growth?

Not until after I get my reactor.

Here's the thing. It takes a LOT of ground to feed someone. Figure maybe 10 people per acre of greenhouse IF the greenhouse does it all. Now, you only gotta do that for the winter months and LOTS of foods store well like apples, potatoes and such. I can grow enough greens to produce about 12,000 servings a week with little heat input. Production would go up a good bit if I add good heat and light BUT cost SOARS. This is why nuke is so critical.

So, 12,000 servings of greens a week is, what, 1,500 people, 2,000 tops. So add in other nutrient rich foods in other greenhouses, carrots, beets, tomatoes, etc, we're talking something like 7 acres, 2,000 people, call it 300 people per acre IF we're supplementing game/cattle/pork etc.

Frederick county is 250,000 people so we'd need 850 acres of greenhouses. It's perfectly doable but the key is ENERGY and that, to me, means NUKE. Pebble bed is my current favorite idea.

jrt_ms1995

So, 12,000 servings of greens a week is, what, 5 people, 7 tops. ... carrots, beets, tomatoes, etc, ...

Larry, fixed your math, it was all wrong here; we're talking about people, real people. You know, the "food comes from McDonalds and Golden Corral" people. They ain't gonna eat that stuff, until they get hungry enough and you bring it to them! :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Here's the thing. It takes a LOT of ground to feed someone. Figure maybe 10 people per acre of greenhouse IF the greenhouse does it all. Now, you only gotta do that for the winter months and LOTS of foods store well like apples, potatoes and such. I can grow enough greens to produce about 12,000 servings a week with little heat input. Production would go up a good bit if I add good heat and light BUT cost SOARS. This is why nuke is so critical.

So, 12,000 servings of greens a week is, what, 1,500 people, 2,000 tops. So add in other nutrient rich foods in other greenhouses, carrots, beets, tomatoes, etc, we're talking something like 7 acres, 2,000 people, call it 300 people per acre IF we're supplementing game/cattle/pork etc.

Jeez..that all sounds like too much work to me. Ahma stick with my current survival plan, which is heavily dependent on confiscating the clothes, medicines and foodstocks of voluntarily unarmed liberals unable to defend it.:yay: