Some smart scientific person...

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Water has a higher specific heat capacity than the air does - in other words, it stores more energy (of lacks more energy) than air does at the same temperature. Basically, that means it has the ability to suck heat from you at a faster rate than air does. So, if there is more water in the air, then it will feel colder, even if the temperature is the same.

Think of it like this - if you were to go outside when it was 45 degrees, it might feel cold - but not nearly as cold as it would feel if you were to jump into 45 degree water.

My sister always says "but it's a dry cold here in Vermont!" I've been there in Feb. and cold is cold!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah, but the dynamic I'm talking about isn't quite the same thing as an insulative effect. It's not that the snow is a medium slowing the transference of thermal energy from the air to you. It's that the moist air has a greater thermal energy delta with you, than dry air at the same temperature would. And, based on thermodynamic principles, that means that your thermal energy will flow to it quicker.

And that flow can be described as an insulating effect. Same reason 50 degree water is cold as hell to swim in but it's even worse when you get out into the 50 degree air.

I think your answer is better, more of what she was asking; scientific.

As a practical description, snow is insulating. It's making it, as you said, feel warmer. :buddies:

We put 'cold' water on outdoor pansies on below freezing AM's in the fall. It warms them up because it IS warmer than the air and it provides a thin layer of...insulation along with increasing the radiant effect of whatever sun is available first thing in the AM.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My sister always says "but it's a dry cold here in Vermont!" I've been there in Feb. and cold is cold!

I'll tell you what; 0 degrees in Wolf Creek Colorado at O dark thirty is freaking way colder than 0 here in the east for the reasons Tilted say; moisture. NO humidity out west.

Then, We'd ski at 15-20 degrees later on when the sun was up and be comfortable. No insulation, no buffer.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Well, if you're comparing it to yesterday before the rain/sleet started, then there is another difference that is likely responsible. I'm fairly certain that the air outside today, after the system had moved through, was drier than it was yesterday when the system was moving in. More moisture in the air will certainly make it feel colder.

Water has a higher specific heat capacity than the air does - in other words, it stores more energy (of lacks more energy) than air does at the same temperature. Basically, that means it has the ability to suck heat from you at a faster rate than air does. So, if there is more water in the air, then it will feel colder, even if the temperature is the same.

Think of it like this - if you were to go outside when it was 45 degrees, it might feel cold - but not nearly as cold as it would feel if you were to jump into 45 degree water.

So why in August when it is 95 with 90% humidity (air with more moisture) do we feel hotter?

So why in August when it is 95 with 90% humidity (air with more moisture) do we feel hotter?

Because of the same effect in reverse - the moist air has more thermal energy in it than dry air at the same temperature would. Therefore, the rate at which it will suck thermal energy from you is less - or if you want to think of it this way - the rate at which you can give it your thermal energy is less.

Now, it is true that your body temperature is still a little higher than the 95 degree air temperature is. But, the body still wants to get rid of some of its excess energy - it is always doing that, because it is constantly making more thermal energy through its natural processes. If it couldn't dissipate that energy, it would overheat, so to speak.

So, what you perceive as it being hot outside isn't really caused by the air being hotter than your body temperature - it is caused by the air accepting your excess thermal energy at a slower rate than when the air is colder, because it is closer to your body temperature than colder air would be. Hot moist air accepts your excess thermal energy even slower than hot dry air, because water has a higher specific heat capacity. This phenomena is also at play when your body resorts to sweating because it needs to get rid of excess thermal energy faster.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think your answer is better, more of what she was asking; scientific.

Right. Because I understand the insulating effect of snow and it makes perfect sense to me. But as I gaze up at the open sky and around at the rest of the openness, "insulation" wasn't coming to me.

Light reflection makes sense, as does the drier air factor. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Right. Because I understand the insulating effect of snow and it makes perfect sense to me. But as I gaze up at the open sky and around at the rest of the openness, "insulation" wasn't coming to me.

Light reflection makes sense, as does the drier air factor. :yay:

Let me try another tack; Notice how much quieter it is when it's snowing or there is a lot of snow on the ground?

Insulation.