Someone please start a ferry service!

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, but just remembered all the pissing and moaning.

This thread, as do many others, made me think of the newish Calvert resident who stated at one of the public hearings for Armory Square in Prince Frederick that we had to have a Home Depot because there was nowhere in the County he could buy a hammer and nails. He was stating that in front of the Planning Commission then chaired by Maurice Lusby, owner of the hardware store known as Lusby Motors, and a few seats away from a couple of Sneades, owners of the Sneade's Hardware stores.

There are an awful lot of tax dollars coming from Calvert to the Lowes right across the bridge, I am guessing the Home Depot in Upper Marlbro also. Maybe you can buy a hammer there but to do something like browse lumber, flooring, etc and take it home that day its a bit of a stretch.

Why is a hardware store called Lusby Motors?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
There are an awful lot of tax dollars coming from Calvert to the Lowes right across the bridge, I am guessing the Home Depot in Upper Marlbro also. Maybe you can buy a hammer there but to do something like browse lumber, flooring, etc and take it home that day its a bit of a stretch.

Why is a hardware store called Lusby Motors?

It was originally a Dodge dealership.

What tax money is Calvert losing across the bridge? Sales tax does not go to the County but directly to the State. It doesn't matter if Lowe's does a million dollars a day, zero sales tax goes directly to St. Mary's. It might come back mixed with other revenues but not proportionately to sales.

Before O'Malley, counties and municipalities used to get a little sales tax generated in the jurisdiction back from the State. It was on the order of 1/10th of 1% of the intra jurisdiction total.

If an elected official uses sales tax revenue to pimp a particular project (yeah, I'm talking about any Calvert Commissioner whose name isn't Nutter. Of course a couple of them are too stupid to know any better) they're outright lying to you.

PeoplesElbow

It was originally a Dodge dealership.

What tax money is Calvert losing across the bridge? Sales tax does not go to the County but directly to the State. It doesn't matter if Lowe's does a million dollars a day, zero sales tax goes directly to St. Mary's. It might come back mixed with other revenues but not proportionately to sales.

Before O'Malley, counties and municipalities used to get a little sales tax generated in the jurisdiction back from the State. It was on the order of 1/10th of 1% of the intra jurisdiction total.

If an elected official uses sales tax revenue to pimp a particular project (yeah, I'm talking about any Calvert Commissioner whose name isn't Nutter. Of course a couple of them are too stupid to know any better) they're outright lying to you.

Doesn't the county get a portion of the business tax just like they do from our state income tax?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Doesn't the county get a portion of the business tax just like they do from our state income tax?
Nope. At least not directly as a discrete item. Theoretically it might get something as grants or transfers but it's mixed in with other revenue sources.

Strangely enough, I just checked on this a week or so ago for another reason.

If a business owner has a business in one jurisdiction but lives in another the jurisdiction with the business gets zero of the personal income tax of the owner.

officeguy

Nope. At least not directly as a discrete item. Theoretically it might get something as grants or transfers but it's mixed in with other revenue sources.

If a business owner has a business in one jurisdiction but lives in another the jurisdiction with the business gets zero of the personal income tax of the owner.

The county gets property tax on the building, production equipment and to some extent inventory of a business. If a business has several locations, the counties watch like hawks to make sure that they get their pound of flesh and a business doesn't park equipment in a cheaper county. The $300/year for the corporate filing go to SDAT.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The county gets property tax on the building, production equipment and to some extent inventory of a business. If a business has several locations, the counties watch like hawks to make sure that they get their pound of flesh and a business doesn't park equipment in a cheaper county. The $300/year for the corporate filing go to SDAT.

Yeah, but those property taxes, equipment/fixture taxes (if they're even collected, a lot of jurisdictions don't bother because it's such a hassle and have been encouraged to eliminate them as an economic development incentive) and inventory taxes are pennies compared to sales tax or business income tax.

Property tax gets paid whether a building is occupied or empty. One thing banks made sure they did with all their foreclosures was pay the property taxes. They might not have had the grass cut but the taxes got paid.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, but just remembered all the pissing and moaning.

This thread, as do many others, made me think of the newish Calvert resident who stated at one of the public hearings for Armory Square in Prince Frederick that we had to have a Home Depot because there was nowhere in the County he could buy a hammer and nails. He was stating that in front of the Planning Commission then chaired by Maurice Lusby, owner of the hardware store known as Lusby Motors, and a few seats away from a couple of Sneades, owners of the Sneade's Hardware stores.
Classic!

PeoplesElbow

It would be nice to have a more direct route to places. Last weekend I went over the Harry Nice Bridge to get to I-95S and thought the trip could have easily been 2 hrs shorter with a more direct route.

PeoplesElbow

Interesting, Maryland is weird. Different state but my hometown and the town next to it have had a bit of a annexing war over commercial developments. These developments would make sense to be in my hometown, they are much closer and the fact they are on the other side of my town and the other town annexed the land for the taxes from the businesses. The business personal property tax can be quite high for a big box store that has a large inventory like Lowes and Walmart, stores like that spend thousands of dollars to companies like Regis to do inventories for a reason.

Can't comment on Lowes inventory value but for a Walmart they do about $100k in cash alone per day and one that does a bad job at inventory control has between $500k-$750k go missing per quarter.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It would be nice to have a more direct route to places. Last weekend I went over the Harry Nice Bridge to get to I-95S and thought the trip could have easily been 2 hrs shorter with a more direct route.

That's why we wanted to see the Piney Point ferry operation go ahead....so we wouldn't have to drive so far north to be able to head south again.

alicejohn

That's why we wanted to see the Piney Point ferry operation go ahead....so we wouldn't have to drive so far north to be able to head south again.

Are the Piney Point-to-Virginia and Calvert-to-Eastern Shore studies publicly available? Although I don't see how either could be economically viable, data could change my mind.

officeguy

Thats the only one that could make year around sense. Plenty of business connections between pax and contractors / navy in the. Norfolk area. I know one contractor out of Chesapeake, VA who flies himself into St Mary's airport to avoid the drive.
With the direct connection , SMC, lower Calvert, Cobb Island/Newburg could secede from MD so we could enjoy VA gun laws (and tilt the balance in VA away from McAwful and his ilk).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are the Piney Point-to-Virginia and Calvert-to-Eastern Shore studies publicly available? Although I don't see how either could be economically viable, data could change my mind.

The PP to VA route never had a study that was made public..it was an assumed-risk proposal where the owner/operator, who had two smallish ferries, recently freed up from temporary service in the aftermath of Katrina, was going to assume all the risk and expense, except for the cost of the actual physical landings (a simple concrete shore structure that the ferry drops it's ramp on).

The extensive studies commissioned by VDOT are (or at least, were, for the most part), publicly available. I'll see if the link to those archives still works and post it here if it does. Point: Calvert-to-Eastern shore options were not found to be viable as "stand alone" operations. Connections like that were only viable as feeder or ancillary routes as part of the larger system model. In another interesting and, for my business, disappointing, twist, none of the the route studies for the lower Chesapeake that proposed high-speed ferries (Incat or similar design) proved viable. The economically viable solutions (minimum to no subsidies) were based on very cheap and slow ferry technology.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
ferry will never happen, if it was financial sound it would have been done already

Not so fast.. Maryland isn't doing much of anything, admittedly, but VA has invested a lot of money in various ferry system concepts and definitely have not given up on it yet.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The other fun speedferry ride was down the Sognefjord in a very long and narrow cat. One of the engineers allowed me to peek into the engine pods and I remember it being powered with 16cyl MTU engines. That thing was screaming.

Those are our primary product..that really fast ferries. And yes, only car ferries have been included in the lower Chesapeake ferry studies, for the most part.

And that helps explain why Norway is my second home....

Here's a very recent picture showing 3 decades worth of vessels I helped design and build in Norway..
three generations.jpg

And one of the early 55 mph 350-passenger ferries built in Hyen, Norway..for the start of Malta-Sicily operations in 1987.

Virtu SES.jpg

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

I think I have a solution to this problem, Gilligan gets himself a landing craft and loads up cars on the Maryland side then just lands it in a different spot each time to keep the NIMBYS guessing. He could even cater the landing spot to the riders desires.

I think I have a solution to this problem, Gilligan gets himself a landing craft and loads up cars on the Maryland side then just lands it in a different spot each time to keep the NIMBYS guessing. He could even cater the landing spot to the riders desires.

We thought of that. There was a small landing craft for sale on the road in Dahlgren a few years back. Missed our opportunity with that one.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

:lmao: Now that's thinking outside of the box!

officeguy

Those are our primary product..that really fast ferries. And yes, only car ferries have been included in the lower Chesapeake ferry studies, for the most part.

And that helps explain why Norway is my second home....

Here's a very recent picture showing 3 decades worth of vessels I helped design and build in Norway..
View attachment 119093

And one of the early 55 mph 350-passenger ferries built in Hyen, Norway..for the start of Malta-Sicily operations in 1987.

View attachment 119094

Cool. Something like that. The bay can't be much choppier than the open med that the thing has to cross to get to Malta. I remember taking a fast ferry from Ooostende to Dover back in the 80s. Not sure whether it was the bottle of tax-free scotch we emptied on the crossing, but I remember arriving extremely nauseated ;-)

Does anyone operate fast car-ferries ? (no semis, just passenger cars).