Southern MD Police Academy

waldo5252

I only have the psychological and physical portion of my hiring process left for the Calvert County Sheriffs Office. I don't want to get over confident but would like to start planning. Has anyone recently attended the academy?? If so, could you give me any tips, what to expect....something so that I am not going in completely blind. Thanks in advance!!

bad1032

Sure, dont be a di.., remember just because they give you a gun and badge dont disrespect people,you will get more information and less complaints,and be prepared, as they say, failure to plan is planning to fail. Dont buy every item you see in Galls, most of them you will never use. You will meet some good instructors along the way, LISTEN to what they say, start doing plenty of pushups and get ready for 26 weeks of hell,,,,,, hahahahaha

waldo5252

At some point are you timed in a run.....say mile and a half or two mile?? Is their like a big obstacle course that you have to pass?? I have read from other acadamies that you have to run a mile and a half in 14 1/2 minutes, do 60 push ups in a minute.....is this the case with the SOMD academy?? Thanks in advance!

-chris

smcop

At some point are you timed in a run.....say mile and a half or two mile?? Is their like a big obstacle course that you have to pass?? I have read from other acadamies that you have to run a mile and a half in 14 1/2 minutes, do 60 push ups in a minute.....is this the case with the SOMD academy?? Thanks in advance!

-chris
There is a timed run..although it's been a while since I was in the academy. Most all requirements for one academy are the same for all the academy's. Every Police Academy in Maryland is governed somewhat by the Maryland Police Training Commission, which has minimum standards each academy has to meet.

Best of luck, follow bad1032's advice, he/she put it better than I have ever heard it. Good luck and welcome.

starlight2

I only have the psychological and physical portion of my hiring process left for the Calvert County Sheriffs Office. I don't want to get over confident but would like to start planning. Has anyone recently attended the academy?? If so, could you give me any tips, what to expect....something so that I am not going in completely blind. Thanks in advance!!

Get ready for the time of your life. Dude it's brutal, but well worth it. The best advice I can give is try to listen to the instructors before you react. Don't walk or run on the grass. And watch that speed limit sign as you enter the Academy. Yea you're gonna run alot and all the usual physical activity to be expected at an Academy, so start getting in shape, and watch what you eat before arriving there, eat healthy. There is a lot of yelling so be prepared. They are your instructors, they are there to teach you what to expect on these ugly streets. Good luck. Southern Maryland is known for one of the best Academies in the area.

OldHillcrestGuy

Get ready for the time of your life. Dude it's brutal, but well worth it. The best advice I can give is try to listen to the instructors before you react. Don't walk or run on the grass. And watch that speed limit sign as you enter the Academy. Yea you're gonna run alot and all the usual physical activity to be expected at an Academy, so start getting in shape, and watch what you eat before arriving there, eat healthy. There is a lot of yelling so be prepared. They are your instructors, they are there to teach you what to expect on these ugly streets. Good luck. Southern Maryland is known for one of the best Academies in the area.

:yay: Ive knowm several people who have gone through there, including 2 sons. Follow bad1032's advice, start getting in shape now and dont speed into the Academy parking lot. If you have just a few extra pounds on you now, you wont when you come out. You'll be one mean, lean fighting machine.:lmao: If you are a female your body will proably never look as good as it will when you complete the Academy.:drool:

Heck you can even volunteer to be tazed, with the tazer gun.:lmao:

Tomahawk202

It'll make ya feel good..
Yeah, there has been some good advice on here. Just to touch on a few things,

- Remember to have a life. When I went through, and well into after we graduated, alot of guys/gals would work all day, go home, put COPS on Tv, and open an issue of Galls. Dude, you were a human being before you put the uniform on, spend time with your family and remember it's just a job.

- Training. I can't stress enough, how important it is to train. I don't care what it is. EVERYTHING YOU LEARN IS IMPORTANT. Don't pay more attention in one area of the Acad, than another, because it's the little things in the boring areas that's going to either get you a) jammed up either admin or legally, or b) killed. So it's all important. Although PT is important, it's not the only thing. You can be in the best shape of your life, and still get "served" by a suspect. It's the other "tools" in your toolbox that help you get the job done, safely, quickly and professionally.

- My instructors were brutal. But the day after graduation, they took us out and bought every one of us a beer. You may h8t your instructors while you are going through, but in the end you will come to respect and admire them. Remember, they have been where you are "trying" to go.

- Have fun. The academy is unlike anything you probably have ever done in your life. ( unless you were in the service or something ) It's hard, but you will find out what you are made of. You will be pushed to the limit, and then some. It's all for your own good. When you are on RT. 6 in Nanjemoy, at 0200 in the morning, with a traffic stop, and it's snowing and sleeting outside, the driver shoves you and your back up is 45 minutes away, WITH lights and siren ( code 3 ) the only person you have to rely/count on, is yourself.

Sir, keep your ears and eyes open, your mind empty like a giant pool ready to soak up everything they teach you. Try hard, and never, ever quit, and you... my friend will do just fine. On behalf of everyone else on the job, welcome to the ranks !!!!! Godspeed.... :howdy:

Last edited:

waldo5252

To everyone who has replied.....Thank you for all the advice. I truly appreciate it all and can't wait until the day I can call my self a police officer!

-chris