Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

SmallTown

Football season!
A massive accident involving a tractor trailer has just spilled toxic material across RT235 in front of Wal-Mart shutting down traffic in both directions. Meanwhile on Rt.5 there has been a gas leak and explosion at the new Sheetz, Rt 5 is closed in both directions. You thought traffic is bad now on 235, now you have to route all the people who live north of this area into the base in the morning and out of the base in the afternoon with these two main arteries now closed.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Ken King

Well you’ve got all the numbered routes covered. However, in terms of exiting St. Mary’s County you can accomplish it by using Mount Wolf Road or Golden Beach Road to Mount Wolf Road in Mechanicsville to tie into Carrico Mill Road. Also up that way you can use Whalen Road and Beethoven Road to get you out of the county but not much farther. As you move west across the northern boundary you can use Dixie Lyon Road off of RT. 236 as well as Ryceville Road. All of these can get you out of the county as well as the ones you mentioned.

MAN! You are specific. Considering that Dixie Lyon Road runs out of St. Mary's, into a dead-end... ???

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
A massive accident involving a tractor trailer has just spilled toxic material across RT235 in front of Wal-Mart shutting down traffic in both directions. Meanwhile on Rt.5 there has been a gas leak and explosion at the new Sheetz, Rt 5 is closed in both directions. You thought traffic is bad now on 235, now you have to route all the people who live north of this area into the base in the morning and out of the base in the afternoon with these two main arteries now closed.

Or in this hypothetical world you could have a deranged B-2 pilot arm and deliver a strike on Lexington Park, the blast kills all in the county. :lmao:

BTW I think I could still get to the base from Leonardtown with those roads closed. Granted it would be a major pain in the rear but it can be done.

What's your point? How many major arteries should be built when they get squeezed by the southern pennisula of the county? Were you aware that there is a plan to extend Peggs Lane all the way to Callaway? That would provide a new artery. Also in your scenario how long would the roads be closed and wouldn't the base treat it just like they do for a major snowstorm and shutdown?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Nodnarb

MAN! You are specific. Considering that Dixie Lyon Road runs out of St. Mary's, into a dead-end... ???

I might be wrong but doesn't Dixie Lyon join on N Ryceville Road and you can run over to Ryceville Rd from there or over to RT 6 if you go the other way?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Ken King

BTW I think I could still get to the base from Leonardtown with those roads closed. Granted it would be a major pain in the rear but it can be done.

I'm trying to noodle this one out... You can't do Indian Bridge because Route 5 at Great Mills is blocked. So I'm thinking of turning at Leon Middle, going through Drayden / Valley Lee, and then what? You have to get south of Great Mills to get back over to 235 and back up to the base. I'm having a brain cramp with the road name that is across Route 5 from Indian Bridge, to remember where that might come out to get back to route 5? Or what might intersect to get back over???

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Nodnarb

I'm trying to noodle this one out... You can't do Indian Bridge because Route 5 at Great Mills is blocked. So I'm thinking of turning at Leon Middle, going through Drayden / Valley Lee, and then what? You have to get south of Great Mills to get back over to 235 and back up to the base. I'm having a brain cramp with the road name that is across Route 5 from Indian Bridge, to remember where that might come out to get back to route 5? Or what might intersect to get back over???

You're thinking of Flat Iron Road, but that ain't it. I'll PM you on how I would do it as it probably involves using right a way lanes across private property and I don't want everyone doing it.

SmallTown

Football season!
Might only be closed for a few hours, maybe half a day. But if it happened at say 3pm, then closing the base wouldn't help since everyone would already be there.

The point being made is that for all practical purposes, there are currently two ways in and two ways out.

Yes, I have heard about the extension of Pegg , and it is highly needed. I'm surpised it got approval though. I mean, with all of the uproar about turning an old railroad line into a nature trail.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Might only be closed for a few hours, maybe half a day. But if it happened at say 3pm, then closing the base wouldn't help since everyone would already be there.

The point being made is that for all practical purposes, there are currently two ways in and two ways out.

Yes, I have heard about the extension of Pegg , and it is highly needed. I'm surpised it got approval though. I mean, with all of the uproar about turning an old railroad line into a nature trail.

Ever been on the beltway when there has been a bad wreck and you know that there is an exit up ahead but just can't get to it? You wait. A few hours out of one's life aren't the end of the world. Hell, I would go back on base or head south towards Point Lookout and take the fishing gear out of the car and enjoy the solitude for awhile. It’s no big deal, at least for me.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...

I doubt if we see Pegg's Road extended anytime soon. NO moolah!

SeaRide

What toxic??
what explosion??
I see nothing.... where the heck did you hear this crap?

pilot

Originally posted by SeaRide

What toxic??
what explosion??
I see nothing.... where the heck did you hear this crap?

I think she just made it up as an example of a worst case scenario that could potentially happen. Some people just like to focus on the negative. :frown:

Darlene

Originally posted by Delilah903
Or we could all go to Point Lookout or Piney Point and ...JUMP!!!

That is the jumping off point isn't it?
:getdown: :getdown:

It sure is Delilah...but the only way I am jumping is if their is a nice yacht to jump on to!!!!:banana:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by pilot

I think she just made it up as an example of a worst case scenario that could potentially happen. Some people just like to focus on the negative. :frown:

Thats a big problem with Americans. We always wait until the impossible happens to make any changes.. We always react instead of prevent. I would have hoped we learned our lesson with 9-11.. At least Bush did. After hearing about that hellfire missle tearing part that car full of al-qaeda, seems we are beginning to make that change.

And.. I'm a he :)

J

justhangn

Agreed smalltown, we as a people need to be more proactive. Unfortunately there are those that constantly whine about being proactive, they see it as being too aggressive but they are the first to start moaning when something happens and accuse departments of not doing enough to stop it from happening in the first place.

hambone

I have found this thread interesting and feel that it's very worthwhile! I'm a native to the county who lived elsewhere for over 10 years before returning only a few years ago. It seems the thread has cooled so I hope I'm not stoking the fires again because I'm not trying to. I'm only trying to get some things off my chest and, hopefully, learn from you. Sorry, I'm going to be wordy.

There are two things (and they've both been discussed ad nauseum in this thread) that have bothered me since returning. They are 1) Poor quality of service and 2) the 'who's better' sentiment between some of the oldtimers and newcomers. From my vantage point, many workers, not everyone, in the service industry seem to express a 'you're lucky to have me here to serve you!' attitude and want to argue with you tooth and nail if something doesn't go right. I usually don't care who's right or wrong; I just want my clothes clean, my groceries purchased, or my car fixed so I choose not to be involved in it. I think these workers don't enjoy their jobs; their management need to do something about this. As for the second item, it really surprised me when I first observed that kind of (I'm going to call it) bickering because I could not recall any of that pre-nineties. Personally, I like all people and just want everyone to get along, but I guess I'm a polly-anna. The first time I heard the 'If you don't like it here, go away' comment I kind of agreed with it. However, I think that kind of comment does nothing more than exacerbate the bickering and I really don't want that. That's obvious from reading your posts. I think the natives love where they live and don't like having their bubble burst by the newcomers. The newcomers, in turn, don't like the quick, emotional response they get from the natives, making it appear we aren't nice, welcoming, and it, over time, makes them unhappy. I welcome everyone from all walks of life and try to treat everyone equally.

Besides that, I'm very, very happy to be back! No situation is going to be totally perfect but it is close enough for me. Everyone is friendly. There's a wide variety of people from a different backgrounds here each with their own different perspectives. There are plenty of things to do, including a number of festivals and outdoor activities. There are, in my opinion, plenty of good restaurants, too. There are many other reasons but that's enough.

H

Heretic

Hambone I totally agree with what you say about service and you know,it gives new people in the area the idea that everyone is like that. My first month or so the only people I had any interaction with outside of work was getting something to eat, getting my car worked on etc and the service sucked so guess what I thought about things.

Last edited by a moderator: