Spinning

signora

forever jewel said:
You can avoid severe seat pain if you use a gel seat cover. Or for anyone really into spinning/cycling, you can invest in a good pair of padded or gel shorts :yay::yay:

I have a Johnny G Spin Bike and the seat is not too bad on it, but I also put a padded seat cover on it too because it can get uncomfortable after a while.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
signora said:
I have a Johnny G Spin Bike and the seat is not too bad on it, but I also put a padded seat cover on it too because it can get uncomfortable after a while.

At SMCM they have LeMond spinning bikes, but at ProFitness, when I go to their spinning classes, they use Schwinn. I have to say, the LeMond are more comfortable, but should be for the price.

signora

forever jewel said:
At SMCM they have LeMond spinning bikes, but at ProFitness, when I go to their spinning classes, they use Schwinn. I have to say, the LeMond are more comfortable, but should be for the price.

I use to take Spin classes at Bally's Fitness, but can't remember the type of bikes there - just remember the seats being really uncomfortable especially after a 1-2 hour class. The only thing I find w/the spin bikes @ the gyms is they get out of tune fast because of how the different types of people use them (e.g. bouncing on the seat, messing around w/the tension, etc.) Too, it would gross me out when somebody would get off a bike all wet/sweaty and not clean it.

I invested in one because it's a good workout and for those days you just don't feel like going to a gym. But I do find I miss taking it w/a class especially when there is good instructor who plays good music to keep you motivated. The DVD's that I have the instructors are good, but the music is lousy.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
signora said:
I use to take Spin classes at Bally's Fitness, but can't remember the type of bikes there - just remember the seats being really uncomfortable especially after a 1-2 hour class. The only thing I find w/the spin bikes @ the gyms is they get out of tune fast because of how the different types of people use them (e.g. bouncing on the seat, messing around w/the tension, etc.) Too, it would gross me out when somebody would get off a bike all wet/sweaty and not clean it.

I invested in one because it's a good workout and for those days you just don't feel like going to a gym. But I do find I miss taking it w/a class especially when there is good instructor who plays good music to keep you motivated. The DVD's that I have the instructors are good, but the music is lousy.

I can definitely believe the music is lousy. I've never tried spinning DVDs, but I can't imagine they are as motivating as the class, IMO. But to each his own, whatever works :huggy:

signora

forever jewel said:
I can definitely believe the music is lousy. I've never tried spinning DVDs, but I can't imagine they are as motivating as the class, IMO. But to each his own, whatever works :huggy:

I think a lot of the motivation comes w/how the instructer leads the class. The gym I attended had a really good instructor so when people heard about his Spin classes the classes started getting so full because of limited bikes that you had to sign up prior to the class. But the front desk would not put out the sign up sheet til 1 hr prior so you basically had to stand in line waiting. It got riduclous and then he ended up leaving. I found the other instructors there not as good where they didn't mix up the workouts and the music they played was not good so that's why I invested in the bike.

The DVD's that I have, they do provide a variety of different workouts and there are others in the video so it's like a class, but the music is so boring. I probably should just put some upbeat music on while playing the DVD because it would be a lot better.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
signora said:
I think a lot of the motivation comes w/how the instructer leads the class. The gym I attended had a really good instructor so when people heard about his Spin classes the classes started getting so full because of limited bikes that you had to sign up prior to the class. But the front desk would not put out the sign up sheet til 1 hr prior so you basically had to stand in line waiting. It got riduclous and then he ended up leaving. I found the other instructors there not as good where they didn't mix up the workouts and the music they played was not good so that's why I invested in the bike.

The DVD's that I have, they do provide a variety of different workouts and there are others in the video so it's like a class, but the music is so boring. I probably should just put some upbeat music on while playing the DVD because it would be a lot better.

For the spinning classes I attend at ProFitness, my friend and I usually sign up days in advance, just to make it easier. I'm glad we don't have to "stand in line"...that would get old FAST!

lovinmaryland

forever jewel said:
You can avoid severe seat pain if you use a gel seat cover. Or for anyone really into spinning/cycling, you can invest in a good pair of padded or gel shorts :yay::yay:

I wish I would have read this before I went to my first spinning class Saturday....

My girlfriend dragged me to it "oh, you'll love it" (mind you she is 90 pounds soaking wet) It kicked my ass it was so freakin hard, but when all was said and done it was the best class I have ever taken. I felt so good the rest of the day. My next one is wed. :biggrin:

warneckutz

lovinmaryland said:
I wish I would have read this before I went to my first spinning class Saturday....

My girlfriend dragged me to it "oh, you'll love it" (mind you she is 90 pounds soaking wet) It kicked my ass it was so freakin hard, but when all was said and done it was the best class I have ever taken. I felt so good the rest of the day. My next one is wed. :biggrin:

I took a Spinning class a few years ago. Gel seat, spinning shorts (ehhh) and it was the most painful thing I've ever done at the gym, never again. :lmao: I give major kudos to those who do it frequently. :yay:

B

Big Fatty

I am in you boat on this too, Warn. I used to do 1-2x/week at World Gym in Leonardtown because I worked there. I haven't done it in years.
Maybe I will twist the wife's arm to take a class with me....
(Hell, I just took Turbo Kick a little over a week ago. Maybe I'll turn into a cardio freak again. NOT!)
:lmao: :killingme

warneckutz

Big Fatty said:
I am in you boat on this too, Warn. I used to do 1-2x/week at World Gym in Leonardtown because I worked there. I haven't done it in years.
Maybe I will twist the wife's arm to take a class with me....
(Hell, I just took Turbo Kick a little over a week ago. Maybe I'll turn into a cardio freak again. NOT!)
:lmao: :killingme

Good Luck! If you need that ol' gel seat I'll see if I can fish it out for you... :barf:

I can see the benefit of spinning and doing classes like Turbo Kick and Body Pump, but it's so hard to make the transition from lifting (and having those 1-30 minute :lmao: breaks in between)...

GOOD LUCK... MAJOR KUDOS! :high5:

B

Big Fatty

warneckutz said:
Good Luck! If you need that ol' gel seat I'll see if I can fish it out for you... :barf:

I can see the benefit of spinning and doing classes like Turbo Kick and Body Pump, but it's so hard to make the transition from lifting (and having those 1-30 minute :lmao: breaks in between)...

GOOD LUCK... MAJOR KUDOS! :high5:

Dude, there is no way I would use your Jan Tana, Baby Oil, gel seat. Not only is it ghey but I would totally injure myself when I slid off!
I will fork out the $10 to buy one. Ewwwww..... :barf: :lmao:

nobody really

I need a nap
forever jewel said:
This morning, I'm attending my first spinning class. I'm hoping that I'll fall in love with class (that way I'll keep motivated). Anyone else tried spinning? :popcorn:

I did it for quite a while at the gym in Pr Fred -- it was the BEST killer workout - lost 25 lbs without even changing my eating habits. Its great because unlike aerobics, if you don't feel like having to think (sometimes the steps in aerobics take a few days to master), its a great mindless workout. Just get on the bike and roll!

lovinmaryland

warneckutz said:
I took a Spinning class a few years ago. Gel seat, spinning shorts (ehhh) and it was the most painful thing I've ever done at the gym, never again. :lmao: I give major kudos to those who do it frequently. :yay:

Yeah my girlfriend didn't tell me about the gel seat until AFTER the class so the pain i felt was pretty rough.... but hey it will be a good form of birth control because i am so sore from it i couldn't even imagine having sex right now :lmao:

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
lovinmaryland said:
Yeah my girlfriend didn't tell me about the gel seat until AFTER the class so the pain i felt was pretty rough.... but hey it will be a good form of birth control because i am so sore from it i couldn't even imagine having sex right now :lmao:

when I finally got the nerve to take a spin class the girl teaching said your going to get saddle sore tomorrow. But I wasn't. My butt hurt while riding, but I wasn't sore the next day.

smoothmarine187

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoloy card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO.

warneckutz

Big Fatty said:
Dude, there is no way I would use your Jan Tana, Baby Oil, gel seat. Not only is it ghey but I would totally injure myself when I slid off!
I will fork out the $10 to buy one. Ewwwww..... :barf: :lmao:

I used Pro Tan! :duh:

My Spinning experiment was many years ago... and the pain is still in the back of my mind... :ohwell: