Spore!

B

Beth_kennedy

Well, that was a waste of $50. What I was hoping would be a science-backed game turned out to be more of a kids "ooo pretty shuiny things" game.

2/10

Hey, let me try it and I will buy it off you...now you got me curious

Gwydion

Haha, I'm living in Annapolis now, so it probably wouldnt be worth the gas money. Here's my review of it that I gave for my site...

-------

Well, I've played this up to tribal stage. Spent a few hours on Cell and a few on Creature. I have to admit....I'm not really all the impressed. Its just.....void. Each of the "levels" of progression are too....undeveloped. Its like you go from playing Centipede in cell mode, to Mario Brothers N64 in creature level, to Age of Empires in tribal.....except...none of these stages are as good as their counterparts.

The cell level I made a carnivore...after floating through primordial ooze for a few minutes I was told to mate. So I pressed the button and the screen came up with what I wanted to add to my creature. Basically go faster or hit harder. Rinse and repeat that a few more times and wha-lah your a creature. So now your doing the exact same thing....except in a 3d world. Except now you can dance and sing and have a few people come along and assist you. Either way....you find another nest and either dance with or kill them. Once you do that a few times you get the option to mate, and when you do that, you can add some hands or legs or mouths or weapons. Rinse and repeat a few times and wha-lah your at tribal.

And now the only thing that changes is you control all the members of your tribe. Send some out to kill things and gather the meat, leave a few to protect your food storage, while you go out and befriend/kill other tribes. Rinse, repeat, and I'm assuming then you get to civilization.

I guess the idea of "evolution" is presented decently enough in it...athough I was expecting a lot more biological science behind this game. Instead, its "Oh, hey, that creature can fly! lets go kill it to conquer their ability to fly!" *Goes and kills said creature* "You have gained 'WINGS' Mate to equip them".

And thats where evolution stops making any argument in here. My creature started out as a T-rex looking thing and then it went to a dog looking thing, then to a dragon type thing, then to a crazy lookin monster. In the end, it never mattered HOW my body was configured. The singular arm with the claw on the back of my head made as much "sense" to the game as two arms in the front of my body....which is clearly more "evolutionized" if not only for location but the fact that I have DOUBLED my ability to carry.

There was also no summation of skills. Say your creature has 4 legs, which allows you two sets of feat. If your front legs give you +2 Rake +4 Dance and your back legs give you +1 Claw +3 dance, then you would have +2 rake, +1 Claw, and +4 dance. (as opposed to +7 dance).

Furthermore, the design of.....physics....is terrible. I accidently put incredibly tiny feet on legs and a body that looked like a standing frog. The center of mass was clearly a good 2 feet away from where my feet were on the ground, yet when I went into the world, I walked fine. Another mistake was when I was progressing to the tribal stage I put my 2 sets of arms too close together creating their skin to become intertwined.....made him look like he had wings. Now, it would have been AWESOME of that mistake of mine evolved into adding some gliding bonus, but alas, it was nothing but a visual glitch.

Overall, how would I rate this? 4/10. And thats me being incredibly generous. I guess I got my hopes up on this being a science based game as opposed to a "Character Creation Screen". Seriously....to test to see if you enjoy this game, log into wow and spend 7 hours at the character creation screen tweaking your hair, face, earings, etc. Then realize that the onyl thing that matters was the class and race and wha-lah thats it.

In -all- seriousness.... assuming Civilization and galaxy stages are anything like the first 3, just go download the creature creator and be done with this game.

Taken from a review that sums up my annoyance...
"And the editors, as easy to use they might be, are much more about optics than they are about influencing gameplay: With every phase, they get less important, until they are reduced to pure eye candy in phase 5: There, you design your spaceship in the editor, but that design has no influence on its capabilities at all. Instead, you need to buy equipment for it which is only represented by little icons in your spaceship’s inventory. "

Xaquin44

I predicted this game would be boring the day (many years ago) I first saw the trailer.

wow .... a universe that you make the animals for .... and do nothing with.

sounds fun =/

Doghnut

I've been waiting for this game to come out for quite a while, but I was under the impression that it required internet access to play...can anyone with the game tell me if it is playable without broadband? I know the game has to register itself before it is playable and that shouldnt be a problem. But if the everyday operation of the game requires internet, then my crappy dialup wont suffice...

Gwydion

I've been waiting for this game to come out for quite a while, but I was under the impression that it required internet access to play...can anyone with the game tell me if it is playable without broadband? I know the game has to register itself before it is playable and that shouldnt be a problem. But if the everyday operation of the game requires internet, then my crappy dialup wont suffice...

I'll dc from the net and try it when I get home from work. You have to login everytime the game starts and I feel like that is checked against the net.

B

Beth_kennedy

I'll dc from the net and try it when I get home from work. You have to login everytime the game starts and I feel like that is checked against the net.

I think I read something about that on the EA website. Many people were not happy about that.